Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Katie
ba-ba
MidlandsDan
Summers
sarahmay
NotRich
iamemmao
Steff
Foxxe
Jess
elliemon
Peeky
Furious D
lightowler
Parg
MangoSkeejykins
Cap'n Lee
The Amazing Fletch
scottus86
23 posters

Funny/Abstract/Strange/Different news stories.

Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Funny/Abstract/Strange/Different news stories. - Page 11 Empty Re: Funny/Abstract/Strange/Different news stories.

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:21 pm

ellie has just won the thread, everyone else can go home
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Funny/Abstract/Strange/Different news stories. - Page 11 Empty Re: Funny/Abstract/Strange/Different news stories.

Post by NotRich Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:26 pm

elliemon wrote:evolution is survival of the fittest and if that thing cant survive petrified children then it aint fit enough

THEY THREW THE ROCK AT IT!

Funny/Abstract/Strange/Different news stories. - Page 11 The_rock(jagdish-1.blogs.com)
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:32 pm

Funny/Abstract/Strange/Different news stories. - Page 11 317-the-rock-hey-guys-whats-going-on

That Rock guy gets in the way of everything.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:40 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/8261287.stm

the jokes on topgear are going to be AMAZING
    Foxxe
    Foxxe
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Foxxe Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:12 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/18/jedi-religion-tesco-hood-jones
    Tesco said: "He hasn't been banned. Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood.

"If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."

it's nice to see even faceless corporations can have a sense of humour
    ba-ba
    ba-ba
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by ba-ba Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:22 pm

and the prize for trying to be Clarkson and failing ever so dismally:
    Link
    This story links you to all the salient pieces of information. Bradley Wiggin's twitter posts are my personal faves
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Foxxe wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/18/jedi-religion-tesco-hood-jones
    Tesco said: "He hasn't been banned. Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood.

"If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."

it's nice to see even faceless corporations can have a sense of humour

This prick stole my name. He has my fucking name. Only in Wales they add an extra syllable to Daniel so phonetically speaking there is a difference. I'm sure there are a lot of Daniel Jones down that way mind boyo, my Dar is a taffy.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:33 pm

it does a good job of satirising the law's eyes of religion. There is no defence that Tescos can make without admitting that they don't respect his rights to his religion. I'm sure their response would have been very different should it have been a burqa (if you'll forgive the obvious comparison)

i hope that his response was a one of satire, however; i could see this getting pushed further. As far as i'm concerned, the problem here was in Tesco telling someone they couldn't wear their hood up in the store. That is a balls-out stupid policy to begin with and is borne from reactionary bullshit. If a hood obscures the back of your head, surely a pair of sunglasses, which obscure your face would be considered worse.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:36 pm

MidlandsDan wrote:This prick stole my name. He has my fucking name. Only in Wales they add an extra syllable to Daniel so phonetically speaking there is a difference. I'm sure there are a lot of Daniel Jones down that way mind boyo, my Dar is a taffy.

1547 according to outdated census information
    http://www.yournotme.com/testaspnet/default.aspx
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Not as many as might have been expected considering how common the two names are...still when you get to combinations the probability levels drop exponentially or something.

Still, 1546 too many.

ba-ba wrote:and the prize for trying to be Clarkson and failing ever so dismally:
    Link
    This story links you to all the salient pieces of information. Bradley Wiggin's twitter posts are my personal faves

That cunt James Martin has got some front. Seems to think he's harder than all bike riders or some shit as well, thats the impression that skim reading it gave me anyway. I'd like to meet him.
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:37 pm

I think I'm probably the only person in the UK with my name... maybe even the world... oh yeah!!! Razz
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:02 pm

apparently there are no eleanor woodruffs! even i dont exist!!!

but facebook knows i exist Smile
    there are no other eleanor woodruffs on there though. thats pretty sweet Smile
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:22 pm

aye, nae Jess Adam's aboot!

If I search me on facebook I get loads of groups like 'Jess and Adam getting married 10/10/10', 'Congrats of Jess and Adam's baby!' etc...
    I'm not a couple! I just happen to have a boy surname Sad
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:49 am

There are no other me's either, not on facebook, not anywhere...
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:11 am

I know of at least one other Jamie-Lee. There's probably a few Jamie Fletchers though. I think there was even one on Hollyoaks once.
    ba-ba
    ba-ba
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by ba-ba Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:11 pm

not a news story, but:toilewt humour

I could probably do with that - forest dump anyone?
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:51 am

I'm fairly sure I'm the only one with my very own Welsh first name, German family name combination going on.
    According to that I don't exist. is this awesome? (y/n)
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:30 am

Seems a lot of ska fans are off the radar on this census...could this be used to our advantage?

Something to consider.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:49 pm

elliemon wrote:apparently there are no eleanor woodruffs! even i dont exist!!!

but facebook knows i exist Smile
    there are no other eleanor woodruffs on there though. thats pretty sweet Smile

it only counted people over the age of 18, and as i said, the information is quite old, from like 2003 or something now
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:18 am

SPEAKING OF CENSUS'
    In the USA I've heard that in the census, prisoners are counted as residents of the area they are incarcerated in rather than where they are from. This means that monetary aid, investment and proportional political sway is diverted away from the inner cities where the problems which led to their imprisonment actually are, and to the predominantly well off, white rural areas where the prisons are located. (Source: one of Hill's voiceovers on OZ)

Don't know if theres any truth to this. Fits the profile I suppose.

(A real quick google revealed that as of 2007 the US prison population was growing faster than the overall US population...this slowed in 2008 although so did releases. Also according to OZ the US has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners. Punk rocker Donny and the founders of Stop Prison Rapes' work lives on in the form of Just Detention International.)

Now to camouflage this off topic rambling with a news story or two:

Insane killer legs it at the fair: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090919/ap_on_re_us/us_mental_institution_escape

Bangladeshis cast off the chains of 16th Century Bourgeois Ghetto-Chic: http://features.csmonitor.com/environment/2009/09/05/to-save-power-bangladesh-bans-suits-and-ties/
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:01 am

hey admins... is there any way you could just make it so I can't see MidlandsDan's posts? it'll make things easier
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:hey admins... is there any way you could just make it so I can't see MidlandsDan's posts? it'll make things easier

-Click on the Profile link at the top of the screen.
    -Go to 'Friends And Foes'
    -"Foes are members whose messages will not be entirely visible and of which you will not recieve any more private messages.
    Note that you cannot ignore the moderators or the administrators."

Job done.

Smile
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:30 pm

those are private messages, not posts
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:31 pm

No they're not Lee.

It removes all their posts too!

I've just done it and I can't see anything MidlandsDan is on about!

RichEdit: I've taken it off now, it really does just take out all the posts from whoever you add to the list. But it makes reading through the forums quite difficult!
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:37 pm

but does it remove his posts?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:02 pm