Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
klaus_sensi
NotRich
therur
scottus86
Summers
ScottMoon
Andy DTA
SkankinDragon
Steff
Reel Big Moose
Parg
MangoSkeejykins
lightowler
The Amazing Fletch
Cap'n Lee
invertedtwisted
MidlandsDan
21 posters

You know what really pisses me off...

MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

You know what really pisses me off... Empty You know what really pisses me off...

Post by MidlandsDan Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Due to the nature of this forum I'm sure many will be able to relate.

When people say things like 'punk is dead,' 'oh I like ska, Less Than Jake are awesome [apologies to Less Than Jake fans, but you know what I mean...they don't know any UK bands],' 'there is no good music in the UK any more,' 'why isn't there any good comedy around,' 'no good Biritish films have been made since The Italian Job,' 'there's nothing good on TV,' you know, stuff like that. Then, you ask them what they think of certain bands, films, programmes and they have never heard of them...fair enough if they haven't been exposed but often they haven't even made the effort to look into things for themselves...then, the very worse, you recommend stuff you think they will like and they can't be arsed to check it out, especially bad if they profess to love the samples you show them.
    invertedtwisted
    invertedtwisted
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

You know what really pisses me off... Empty Re: You know what really pisses me off...

Post by invertedtwisted Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:12 pm

Ooh. You make very good points. Maybe we can summarise it as 'people are lazy and they like to complain'?
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

You know what really pisses me off... Empty Re: You know what really pisses me off...

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:15 pm

punk IS dead, the exploited killed it back in '91
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 pm

Wa did them canny wee lads doo in 91?
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:27 pm

sorry, typo, that should have been '81

they released punk's not dead

sex and violence is a good track i suppose.

ah want tah goh tah uddersfeeld
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I think it's that the general public are ignorant. If it's not on X Factor or the Chris Moyles show they don't want to know.

You know what pisses me off? People who don't put their trolleys back at the supermarket. They just leave it in the adjacent parking spot. I've never caught them doing it but when I do they're in trouble.

I doubt the trolleys left are the person's means of transport instead of a car though I have seen stranger things happen, living in Norwich and all.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:55 pm

you rich southaners, up north we need our £1 deposit back to pay for the next weeks food
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 pm

repped up for good points and i like ranting so i'm totally with you

also annoying when people say they're really into the local scene but never go to gigs or buy local bands merch/cd's. real local support there! also noone thanks the people out there who spend ages promoting and putting on gigs, though there are some 'promoters' who deserve to be shot more than anything else, the greedy so-and-sos
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:29 pm

ISPs piss me off. If I pay for up to 8mb broadband I expect to get up to 8mb. If I wanted 2mb I would have paid for 2mb.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 pm

You know what really pisses me off... What-really-grinds-my-gears
    people pointlessly adding images to threads to make themselves feel cool for no real reason.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 pm

you know what really grinds my gear?

INDIE, with the forced regional accents, the skinny jeans that are still baggy on their arses, the cardigans they borrowed off the grandmothers, the only arriving for their set and telling any fans only to arrive for them then leaving straight after.

'this next song's called "They Make Me Maaaad!"'
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:37 pm

That whole forced accent thing is one of the main reasons why indie really sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. That and the fact that it seems like it takes no sort of talent to play (says the least musically gifted person ever).
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:42 pm

yeah all the stuff is so easy, i've watched bands where i culd literally play every instrument they were doing, and i'm useless on drums and guitar

played with this band from my area a couple time by unfortunate coincidence and we talk normally yet they magically all have these stupid accents and i know they're all from my area, not from bloomin london or whatever

i saw on one indie band's myspace their influences are 'everything from arctic monkeys to the killers' ... that's what i call variety!
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:24 am

tbf the arctic monkeys and killer sound utterly different to each other. And the arctics sound like they are from yorkshire cos they are from working class yorkshire families.

And as for fake accents no english punk band would ever dream of faking an american accent obviously, and absolutely no ska band has ever faked a jamaican accent at any point. obviously.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:29 am

i hate it when punk bands put on american accents, i hate that just as much. i've never heard a ska band where the singer fakes a jamaican accent for every song and talks like that too. indie bands keep up this cherade all set long but the most i've seen a ska band do that is in a couple songs either cus it sounded cool or it was kinda funny
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:36 am

MangoSkeejykins wrote:repped up for good points and i like ranting so i'm totally with you

Repped up for repping me!

Fuck indie listening pussies, they are so bland it gives me a headache.

And hooray for the good promoters, it was Positive Junk in Leamington that turned me on to good UK ska.

...I bet some indy kid is going to vote me down now.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:52 am

"It's no bad thing if you take to another sound, you can pick and mix with your music fix cos there is a lot of stuff around"

think robin puts it nicely there is some great stuff that gets lumped in with the word indie, same as there is shit stuff lumped in with punk, but indie like punk is a ridiculously varied genre you can have utterly different bands all called by the same tag cos its fun to pigeon hole.
    listen to belle and sebastian, the cribs, the killers and coldplay and tell me they all paly the same style of music?

yes some bands fake accents to appeal to followers of a certain scene but that isnt an indei thing its a human thing. punk bands do it, metal bands do it, indie bands do it, rappers do it hell even blues singers are guilty sometimes.

It is fucking annoying more often than not but it isnt something u can claim is a particualrly indie trait.
    and as for fans fucking off after the band they came to see, taht definitely happens with any local band, cos the chances are theyve come to see their mates. definitely happened with plenty of punk bands ive seen. Stop being so narrow minded.

rant about people faking accents, rant about nobheads who piss off after their mates band ahve played, all bad things. but dont try and blame one genre for it. Christ knows punk got blamed for enough things over the years you'd think we'd know better than to the same thing to others.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:59 am

My mate's a rapper, and he puts on a stupid fake accent without even realising it. http://www.myspace.com/mcmyst

I hope he put some of his funny stuff on there, can't tell cos my IE is having multiple orgasms.
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:22 am

MangoSkeejykins wrote:you know what really grinds my gear?

INDIE, with the forced regional accents, the skinny jeans that are still baggy on their arses, the cardigans they borrowed off the grandmothers, the only arriving for their set and telling any fans only to arrive for them then leaving straight after.

'this next song's called "They Make Me Maaaad!"'

THAT. Evil or Very Mad

edit: I agree that it's not just indie that does it.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:49 am

you know what grinds my gears, people who indicate like a mile befor they meen to turn off, im like are you going to turn now? are you going to turn now? how about now? ITS MORE FUCKING DANGORUS THAN NOT INDICATING AT ALL.

this thread needs moar caps
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:57 am

yeah i know things liked to be pigeon-holed blahdeeblah, these conversations piss me off to be fair Laughing does that mean we need different forums for skacore and 2tone?

whoever it was that said i was narrow-minded for being annoyed that people leave after their mate's set: I do know, i've been in many a local band and i tell my friends to watch the whole show even if we're on last cus i'm not a bastard! i know it's not just indie bands that only have their fans for their set but honestly they've done it more than other local bands i've seen. we did a gig in brum where this other liecester band brought a coachful of those topshop mannequins with them and only arrived for their set then left!

i'm gunna get repped down like a beast
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 am

worst experience I had with this phenomonom (though by no means the only) was in notingham witha band called 'girlfixer'
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:06 am

the one i mentioned was the heroes in leicester and it happened twice =/
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:09 am

band we were touring with ahd come all the way form america after saving all they moeny for a year or more to fund a small uk tour n a trip to rebelion. the band themselves didnt even stay to watch us or the americans.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:15 am

MidlandsDan wrote:'oh I like ska, Less Than Jake are awesome [apologies to Less Than Jake fans, but you know what I mean...they don't know any UK bands

that happened to me today haha, talkin to a girl who was at one of our shows, asked what ska stuff she liked and she just said less than jake. glad it was on msn cus i lol'd

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:52 am