Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
MidlandsDan
veganfishcake
Parg
The Amazing Fletch
elliemon
Szorn
lightowler
Reel Big Moose
Steff
Joe G
scottus86
15 posters

3 aggrolites dates....tha arent reading and leeds.

NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

3 aggrolites dates....tha arent reading and leeds. - Page 2 Empty Re: 3 aggrolites dates....tha arent reading and leeds.

Post by NotRich Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:27 pm

Lee:
    3 aggrolites dates....tha arent reading and leeds. - Page 2 Aug2006-ray_romano

MidlandsDan:
    3 aggrolites dates....tha arent reading and leeds. - Page 2 Everybody-tyler-james-williams14

RichEdit: DISCLAIMER - I'M NOT BEING RACIST
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

3 aggrolites dates....tha arent reading and leeds. - Page 2 Empty Re: 3 aggrolites dates....tha arent reading and leeds.

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:29 pm

I like everyone. I love lamp.
    Szorn
    Szorn
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Szorn Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:53 pm

I'd rather buy a CD from band at a gig than from HMV/Itunes. I'd like the think all of my money is going to the band. If I ever buy a CD from anywhere (which is rare) I always ask how much the band gets from the sales. Then again none of the staff ever know.

In reference to ticket sales, take a gig at Joe's Well; you pay a set price for a large number of tickets. To get any profit of that you have to sell nearly every single ticket. Something that's very hard for small bands to do.

I'll just go to a local SB6 and buy a shirt from them there.
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:58 pm

Szorn wrote:In reference to ticket sales, take a gig at Joe's Well; you pay a set price for a large number of tickets. To get any profit of that you have to sell nearly every single ticket. Something that's very hard for small bands to do.

Whoah whoah whoah.

That's just pay to play in disguise.
    I genuinely believe that there's absolutely no excuse for getting bands to pay any amount to be able to play a local gig. It's stupidly lazy promoting, getting the bands to do the legwork for you, with little reward for themselves.
    Szorn
    Szorn
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Szorn Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:15 pm

Here here!
    Music should be free to play and to hear!

Would be sweet to have somewhere to just set up bands and play without the need for all this promotion and licenses.
    You have to pay for a license to busk on the streets in Leeds for god sake! What's that about!

I'd have loved to be in Jamaica when the soundsystem culture reigned.
    *dreams of owning lots of a land and a huge soundsystem* flower
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Any experienced booking agent will research the capacity of the venue they're contacting or who the promoter they're speaking to says they're booking for. They will then either give a price based on selling a reasonable percentage of tickets depending on how big the band is, which nowadays often includes a percentage of the door take AFTER costs. This is often as high as 60% or even 80%. The agent will also usually ask for a cost sheet in advance so that they know how much the night is costing to run, then they can ask how many tickets are sold and work out what they should be getting based on that. In short, the idea that venues, large or small, make a huge markup on tickets is not that accurate...

And to echo another point raised - I too always try and buy merch directly from the band if I can. Especially if they're on tour. Its such a great way for the bands to make any money on tour, as a lot of the gig fees gets spoken for by the agent/label.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:54 am