Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
angie_c
Katie
ScottMoon
tyrannosaurusben
Peeky
The Amazing Fletch
invertedtwisted
detachedska
NotRich
lightowler
Reel Big Moose
Cap'n Lee
Steff
MangoSkeejykins
18 posters

Ska Mutiny gig?

tyrannosaurusben
    tyrannosaurusben
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Ska Mutiny gig? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ska Mutiny gig?

Post by tyrannosaurusben Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:51 pm

Peeky wrote:has no one actually read the ska mutiny merch thread?

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I'm ordering stickers next week as well as t-shirts and badges.

i absolutely have not read that thread.

but i do plan to. now i know of it...
    ScottMoon
    ScottMoon
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by ScottMoon Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:10 am

I had a thought of combining the efforts of everyone who puts on gigs that posts here to use the name "skamutiny promotions" and use this site as a hub. so you have lots of gigs being done around the country spreading the name about. Sell tickets online aswell as locally. but i don't know how much effort and co-ordination that would take. Perhaps sell merch for bands.

I'm sure ideas like this have been chucked about. it's just whether it's actually possible to do.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:18 am

and if someone works under "skamutiny promotions" and does a shit job (not pay the band etc) who does it come back to? it's all well and good spreading the name around but shyster is not a word I would like associated with the site.

not to mention the work it would take, summers and peeky agreed to create a website with ska news and discussion, not to start a merch/ticket empire.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 am

Plus I don't just do ska gigs. My next one is punk and psychobilly. Does Mod Henry still do the ska show on LSR?
    Katie
    Katie
    Boogle
    Boogle

Post by Katie Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:59 pm

All the shows i'm sorting on the SOR/KBUK tour will have skamutiny on the flyers. Just generally try and get the name about. We could do with getting more promoters on board really, just 'skamutiny.co.uk' on a flyer would probably interest your average ska fan who picks up a flyer for a decent ska gig.

edit: This is Summers. obv.
    ScottMoon
    ScottMoon
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by ScottMoon Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:59 am

Cap'n Lee wrote:and if someone works under "skamutiny promotions" and does a shit job (not pay the band etc) who does it come back to? it's all well and good spreading the name around but shyster is not a word I would like associated with the site.

not to mention the work it would take, summers and peeky agreed to create a website with ska news and discussion, not to start a merch/ticket empire.

Very valid points
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:56 pm

tbh when i think skamutiny gig i was thikning summers at the packhorse with maby fatty foster suporting, with like £4 in or sumthing and every one meating at spoons at trainstation and drinking our way up twards the pack horse (if your under 18 you get to sit on the door or run the show and look cool)
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:03 pm

Go PARG!!!
    angie_c
    angie_c
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by angie_c Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:14 pm

What's mhappening with this? is it going ahead?
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:49 am

doesn't look like it but i've been whacking skamutiny.co.uk on all theMangoMafia flyers
    veganfishcake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by veganfishcake Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:29 am

We could do a ska mutiny tour. 3 ska bands touring the country for a week promoting ska mutiny. I'd book a Blackpool show for that.
    OR around Christmas we could have an all-dayer in either Leeds or Birmingham.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:56 am

i'm planning a leicester ska/punk night mid/late september if thats of any use. i'll be the first to admit leiceser is a bit crap and i'm sure anyone from kickback uk or standout riot would agree but if i get the right local bands it could be well attended.

i wouldn't need much help by anyone so it wouldn't be too much effort for skamutiny as a whole if people in each region sort something out like this. if 2 or 3 bands are provided n maybe a bunch of flyers/stickers/whatever it's all good. i can even get flyers done myself
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:19 am

if im around, and its at a weekend, id probabaly come to this with +3, havnt been to leicester for aaagggges
    veganfishcake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by veganfishcake Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Leicester is brilliant, I have a handful of friends from Leicester that love ska. Granted that most of them live in Manchester now but one of my friends goes to as many gigs in Leicester as possible!
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:14 pm

I like Leicester, RIP The Charlotte
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 pm

leicester used to be awesome for ska, we'eve still got some fans out there that like to turnup for random hand and sb6 when they're around and i'm sure it'd still be good if freefall felix stayed together but it's really gone downhill to be honest

can you guys send some leicester ska fans my way if you get hold of any? i made a nifty lil facebook page yesterday for just this kinda thing. hope i'm well qualified to represent the LSP

LeicSka Promotions: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107495404517&ref=ts
    also got MySpace www.myspace.com/leicesterskaunsigned
    veganfishcake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by veganfishcake Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:24 pm

I will invite them via facebook.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:28 pm

legend, anyone on here who joins the LSP group feel free to whack up a wall post so i know who you are
    Arr0nWats0n
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Ska Mutiny gig? - Page 2 Empty Hello!

Post by Arr0nWats0n Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:30 am

My first post! In reference to a post above me, and as much as the Charlotte was a useful local venue to have, I found a post someone made on an online article in the NME that really hit the nail on the head for me:

"To be honest I welcome this, I'm from leicester, in a band who's played there several times and now refuse to anymore. The promoters are antisocial & expect something for nothing, feedback Phil the resident soundman couldn't care less if the gig sounded like an orchestra of nails on chalkboard unless it sold out and they've just let a once classic it become rundown due to their own misgivings and placement in life's hierarchy, they've not redeveloped and fought like other venues in the city have whom just have a better vibe with friendlier people. There may have been some great monumental bands and gig's to have been hosted on the stage like Razorlight, the Cribs, Oasis, Radiohead, but to name a few more mainstreams examples, but it's had it's day and should just bow out gracefully with no-one to blame but themselves."

I couldn't have put it better myself. There was so much focus on the fact that great bands have played here, with such quotes adorning the walls as: "Kasabian born at the Charlotte!", that they forgot about the bands still gigging there! I can't help but think that they might still be soldiering on today had they paid a bit more attention to the bands and paying audience they neglected towards the end.

That said, there's still a fair few venues to be found in the area. It's just a case of drumming up the support from the fans when it's the same old places!

Right, that's a bit of a long first post, so forgive me for straying slightly from topic, but any thoughts are welcomed! Smile

Arron, the n00b. (Sorry, I hate l33t too, I don't know why I ended the post that way)
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:36 am

who the hell are you arron? i'm gunna negative rep you on every post you'll ever make Evil or Very Mad

feedback phil was a bit rubbish and i get what you mean but i still liked it cus some good bands played there regularly (fandangle, sb6, random hand, streetlight i think, and more) plus alkaline trio played there december 2001

now get back on topic and stop talking like you're off 4chan or something!

by the way, to those of you have read the recommendations thread where i recommended phase4, this is one of them and they'd probably play the leicester gig =]
    Arr0nWats0n
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Arr0nWats0n Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:01 pm

Alright, well I'll put it another way: after playing there, did you feel like you'd been well sorted out, had a good gig, and that your fans had gotten their money's worth? That will come with a good venue.

I saw Streetlight there, I know a lot of good bands played there right up until the end, but it ain't the bands I had a problem with! They could've made the place so much more successful with simple, little things. They were sub-par towards the end, and I reckon if other venues aren't careful, especially at times like these, they'll end up going the same way - that is, down the crapper!

Channel 4?!

BACK ON TOPIC:

Skeej is right! I wail and play guitar in Phase 4. We'd almost definately be up for a Ska Mutiny gig over Leicester way. Smile I'm hoping to get a few of the lads to start posting on here, though they're not so not hot on sorting or updating much so that might be a bit of a high hope!!

I like the tour idea, maybe get a couple of bands from each area to represent Ska Mutiny at their respective city and make a tour for Ska Mutiny by way of the gig played by the affiliated bands? Sounds Like a Plan, either way! cheers
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:17 pm

my dearest watson i do like the reference to your ep in your post =P

leicester gig would be easy enough to sort out. phase 4, tMM, last edition then if we get bands touring or whatevs there'd be space for 2 or maybe 3 at a squeeze on the bill
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Phil from The Charlotte was always a nob when you arrived, but was always fine by the end of the night. Just his way I guess, not ideal but grumpy soundmen are nothing new. Also whenever he did sound for us it was always pretty good. Not really anything to write home about, but definitely not as bad as that NME guy made out.

Also, Andy from the Charlotte has always been really good to us, and even though he lost his venue he's still trying to put gigs on and keep live music going in Leicester...commendable as it is.

Sounds to me like NME guy had a bad gig there, or perhaps he expects too much from promoters - I'd like to see how he fared with an actual shitty venue with a cock promoter.

Either way, welcoming the close of a venue at times like these is pretty stupid, especially a really good venue. The history is cool, but it was other merits that made that venue a stand out for me.
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Is the charlotte where you played on the mike tv tour? All i remember from that night is Nick getting offended that the barman at a gay nightclub thought Domb looked gayer than him.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Furious D wrote:Sounds to me like NME guy had a bad gig there, or perhaps he expects too much from promoters - I'd like to see how he fared with an actual shitty venue with a cock promoter.

or perhaps it was like he said, if you aren't filling up the venue, he doesn't want to know. he wasa nob, saw plenty of people there and then started to be nice, had you been a small startup band, maybe he wouldn't have put any effort in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:59 am