Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+33
Wreckless Jake
Rich
NotRich
Francis
MangoSkeejykins
Andy DTA
ferrrn
sarahmay
SkankinDragon
therur
ScottMoon
iamemmao
Joe G
Reel Big Moose
MidlandsDan
christinamarie
Peeky
ScaredOfPoo
Steff
elliemon
jimmykebab
Summers
Uncle J
Parg
scottus86
sian
Katie
Furious D
The Amazing Fletch
Jess
Foxxe
Cap'n Lee
lightowler
37 posters

the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread

Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread - Page 20 Empty Re: the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:43 pm

on the general topic of the thread, i'm busy testing intarwebz scripts.

would somebody mind voting this post down for me?
    i've nearly worked all of the kinks out, once it's sorted it'll tell you exactly voted you up or down.

already used it to find summers' phantom voterdownerer but it throws up a hissy fit if more than one person does any voting in a ten minute period.

send me a pm if you want a copy of it when i'm done Wink
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread - Page 20 Empty Re: the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm

cheers summers
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm

Very Happy

Sneaky Lee.

Sneakily what?

the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread - Page 20 865997
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Today i have cleaned my room, cleaned the rats out, cleaned a fucking disgusting plate of salt and slugs my housemate decided would be a good idea, and cleaned myself. I also found a table in our cellar for the front room, back of the net.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm

it's not about sneaky lee, it's about people abusing the vote downs. I'm not happy with what i've heard from people more than anything. Person X doesn't like person Y and makes a habit of voting him down any chance he gets. person Y may take that to mean that forum A doesn't like what he has to say, rather than it simply being one person.

if we remember that ukulele playing guy who popped up for a bit, he got quite a few vote downs and from reading his posts i have no idea what he apparently did wrong.

Last edited by Cap'n Lee on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:05 pm

I know, i just wanted to make that joke.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:08 pm

(large update to that post)
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:on the general topic of the thread, i'm busy testing intarwebz scripts.

would somebody mind voting this post down for me?
    i've nearly worked all of the kinks out, once it's sorted it'll tell you exactly voted you up or down.

already used it to find summers' phantom voterdownerer but it throws up a hissy fit if more than one person does any voting in a ten minute period.

send me a pm if you want a copy of it when i'm done Wink

That sounds completely un-necessary, and absolutely ridiculous.

If someone's abusing the voting system, I say scrap it altogether, or simply have it as a voting-up tool when people post about something worth giving plus points to.

Finding out who's cast votes against you does absolutely nothing for the sense of community that forums should be nuturing. It just creates conflict. If someone's rating goes from +10 to -10 (as, incidently mine did last week) then someone's clearly someone's abusing the system, and rather than finger-pointing, just bloody scrap it.

If everyone has access to the script, you can guarantee that as soon as a rating goes down by even one, people will run it to find out who voted. Resulting in "WHY THE FUCK DID YOU VOTE ME DOWN FOR THAT?".
    Sounds ridiculously petty, but you can guarantee it'll happen.

I enjoy the voting tools, and giving honest opinions on posts, but this spoils the entire concept of it for me. I think it was one of the best little features of this forum.

Anonymous votes or no votes at all for me, and I, for one won't be casting a single one from now on.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:28 pm

tbh it should be changed to 1 vote up per click and -500 votes down per click to encoradge missuse of the system.

pluss if any one wants to abuse the system they can just register a new account exclusivly for voteing you down
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:34 pm

i agree wholeheartedly ricky

i don't have any control over whether vote downs are enabled or not, but what I can do is make it so nobody can abuse the system transparently.

if it was up to me, vote downs would be removed, we have no need for them. their only use would be to flag troublemakers on very busy forums, where there aren't enough admins to read through everything.

vote ups should remain though, they're fun to collect and they can work as agrees. if someone says something, it's nice to see 2 marks next to it agreeing with the statement.

and bobby, a script to autovote down posts is plan B Razz thats going to take a bit more skill though, i'd need to find out how to find a post number for a given post.

Edit: scratch that, it's not tied to the posts.
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:41 pm

Absolutely agreed Lee.

(i'd vote you up, but i'm boycotting the system Wink)

We run into further problems by terming what abuse of the system of vote downs is. There can't be one rule for one person and a different one for the rest.

For example, Person X, genuinely disagrees with Person Y over 90% of the posts they may, therefore votes them down for each one. If the intention, as I perceive it, of the voting system is to give your opinion on the post then Person X isn't abusing anything.

However Person Y feels as though they're being unfairly marked down, runs the script and finds that Person X is voting down on all posts.

By the current definition of this script, as I understand it so far, Person X will be seen as abusing the system and faces possible banning for simply dishing out their honest opinion.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:49 pm

a vote down shouldn't really be a disagree. someone posting that they enjoyed a sonic boom 6 gig is not something that should be voted down if you didn't agree.

i know this isn't the perfect answer, but i think people wouldn't vote down dimmers starting a video thread if they thought it wasn't anonymous.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm

I like to think that if I don't like someone I'd tell them. I don't like bitching about someone behind their back. That's why if I'd just slagged someone off about something behind their back and then they walked in the room I would say, "Oh I was just talking about you." and then tell them.

I'm an honest kind of guy.
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Today I got tickets for Sonic Boom Six in Trowbridge for £3 (£3! Woo) and paid for half of a watermelon with my friend. Now we're waiting for it to dry out so we can have melon helmets!

the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread - Page 20 Scaled

(there's a mouse in the photo because I'm using the netbook webcam to take pictures)

It's been a productive day Very Happy
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:25 pm

I've never voted any posts down, aren't I lovely. Smile
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:29 pm

I turned off the minus points for votes down but Peeky insisted i put them back on. I've turned them off again. You get +1 for a rep up, and nothing but a red strip next to your offending post for a rep down. I like it better that way.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:40 pm

agreed, i'd prefer no red bar too, but operation votedown detection has now been officialy cancelled

proof that terrorism works!!!
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:54 pm

I like the red line but I think it's good not to have negative reps. I would prefer it if people speak up when they make a negative vote when someone specifically asks.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:

if we remember that ukulele playing guy who popped up for a bit, he got quite a few vote downs and from reading his posts i have no idea what he apparently did wrong.

he to busy on the cover of kerrang to worry bout us anymore probably
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:04 pm

I think that way is good too. Yay!
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:28 pm

busy day in the office today, busy + this heat = no fun, although ofice is still in the shade so not to bad atm, not looking forward to this after noon

on the other thand its a fucking buitifle day and stuff so YAY, cloudless sky makes me happy
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:12 pm

The Amazing Fletch wrote:I like the red line but I think it's good not to have negative reps. I would prefer it if people speak up when they make a negative vote when someone specifically asks.

voted down for being a smelly norwicher
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Hey, I resent that remark. I'm not from Norwich.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:38 pm

on an unreleated note, How aweosme are mcoys chrisps
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:40 pm

what, you really don't know?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:44 pm