Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Name two contendors for your favourite ska, and reggae acts.

MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Name two contendors for your favourite ska, and reggae acts. Empty Name two contendors for your favourite ska, and reggae acts.

Post by MidlandsDan Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:47 pm

I'm not saying to post absolute favourites, whatever the fuck that means, because noone has those. Erm yeah lost my train of thought there.

Well I myself am going to pick one each from the UK and the rest of the world if I may.

SKA
    Too Many Crooks- Not the most prolific band out there, but I like the one album I own by them, Inside, since they mix up poppy / two tone style tunes with more intelligent / complex instrumentals...they have a bit of a dark sound too, reminiscent of some Smoke Like A Fish stuff. In fact now that I think of it, think I meant to pick Smoke Like A Fish for this. Never mind.

The Slackers- These guys manage to take some of the best vibes from the roots of the music, mix it with a bit of soul and whatever else, and create their own style. They are cool customers too.

REGGAE
    The Skints- Well I get the sense listening to these guys that with time they will really come into their own and get some banging shit out there. Really I could have gone in depth and discussed the pros and cons of Rebelation...can't be arsed though. Perhaps someone else will.

The Aggrolites- For many of the reasons expressed in the first sentance about the Slackers. Also they are the best band in the world, so not to include them would be silly. Felt so dirty, I couldn't get clean, when that filthy organ began to scream.

Cheers!
    Foxxe
    Foxxe
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Name two contendors for your favourite ska, and reggae acts. Empty Re: Name two contendors for your favourite ska, and reggae acts.

Post by Foxxe Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Ok I'm just gonna have to get this out there and you can hate me if you like but I don't rate the Aggrolites at all. I've seen em twice now. The first time they were supporting Rancid and were one of the worst live bands I've ever seen. They seemed shambolic and played a couple of their own tunes then followed that with about half of a dozen different old songs like Toots or the Specials and then they fucked off looking angry. Second time was at Rebellion and they were loads better, I actually enjoyed watching them though I didn't stay for the whole set. The main problem I have with them is that it all sounds too samey to me. I'll admit I haven't heard some of the more recent stuff but I couldn't listen to more than a couple of tracks off their old albums without getting bored.

Westbound Train are probably one of my favourite bands along these lines though. I really like Transitions, it feels like they've really put a lot into it and every track has something a bit different on there. Plus the guy's voice makes me do a little sex wee every time I hear it. Can't wait to pick up more stuff by 'em!

I thought the Babylon Whackers album was fucking spectacular too. I was really lookin forward to seeing some of it done live at Rebellion, it was disappointing when half of 'em didn't show up and I buggered off to see Tilston instead. Another album out of those guys would be amazing and I'd buy it in seconds.

I'm still not sure if I like the Skints that much or not. I'll try and make my mind up when I see em again with Sonic Boom Six in October. I dig the reggae bits that Marcia and Jamie sing but sometimes Josh on guitar seems like he doesn't fit in. I'm all for music fusion but if he toned back the yelling and gurning just a wee bit I'd probably love 'em!

Last edited by Foxxe on Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Name two contendors for your favourite ska, and reggae acts. Empty Re: Name two contendors for your favourite ska, and reggae acts.

Post by MidlandsDan Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Foxxe wrote:Ok I'm just gonna have to get this out there and you can hate me if you like but I don't rate the Aggrolites at all.

Laughing Hahahahahahaha. Some people are pushing the comedy boat out today eh.

Have no fear! whatever the fuck that means.

I will check out Westbound Train. I might buy the Babylon Whackers album in due course...yeah I wanted to see those motherfuckers at Rebellion also, as did Fletch.

Doesn't like the Aggrolites Laughing you can't fool me.
    Mod Henry
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:11 pm

SKA

Always boils down to:

The Specials: Well...they just created the entire twotone scene, kick-started the ska genre and wrote some amazing songs about British society and life and created an entire subculture for mods, skins and punks. They mneant so much to so many people and still hit the nail on the head and let's not forget some ace tunes.

The Toasters: They did for the US what the Specials did for the UK. OK, so they've had a million differant line-ups but the albums always sound fresh, their work rate is incredible and the songs strong and very much definitive, East Coast New York 3rd wave.

REGGAE

Bob Marley. No contest...he just is the master of reggae. Other artists are good, Aggrolites are ace, Rebelation, Toots & The Maytals, yeah they're amazing bands but Bob Marley & The Wailers can't be beaten.

If you like reggae go check out a chap called NATTY his album is beautiful came out last year. Tim Armstrong's solo album is ace too for reggae.
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Foxxe wrote:

Westbound Train are probably one of my favourite bands along these lines though.

As much as I like The Aggrolites, I do prefer westbound train myself... as that fella said.

I can't help but feel this is some kind of reply to the elitism thread.

Anyway, I'm going to answer

SKA - At the moment, well quite frankly recently I haven't been listening to much ska, but I'd have to say a band I have never gotten bored of are the Mad caddies. I have however been listening to lots of Desmond Dekker for the summer.

Reggea - Hmmm has to be Toots and the maytals for me, reason being I just love singing along to the songs.
    Foxxe
    Foxxe
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Foxxe Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Mod Henry wrote:Tim Armstrong's solo album is ace too for reggae.
    Yeah I fuckin love that album. I was amazed the Aggrolites could do shit like that after hearing their own albums, it's a lot more inventive!
    the dogster
    the dogster
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by the dogster Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:28 am

Ska
    UK - Smoke Like A Fish
    International - Chris Murray Combo

Reggae
    UK - Rebelation
    International - King Django
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:01 am

Mod Henry wrote:The Toasters: They did for the US what the Specials did for the UK. OK, so they've had a million differant line-ups but the albums always sound fresh, their work rate is incredible and the songs strong and very much definitive, East Coast New York 3rd wave.

Definitely a good band, for me though they seem to just be playing very good ska but without their own twist on it...does that make sense? Wouldn't diss them though cos they can always be relied on for a good time.

Mod Henry wrote:
    Bob Marley. No contest...he just is the master of reggae. Other artists are good, Aggrolites are ace, Rebelation, Toots & The Maytals, yeah they're amazing bands but Bob Marley & The Wailers can't be beaten.

You got live at the Rainbow DVD? Its pretty good, haven't watched it for years though...I'll give it another look soon.

scottus86 wrote:I have however been listening to lots of Desmond Dekker for the summer.

It Mek is a great tune, also the big hits like Israelites...but to me he can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, many tunes a bit unremarkable. Do you think there's any truth to this?

Foxxe wrote:Westbound Train are probably one of my favourite bands along these lines though. I really like Transitions, it feels like they've really put a lot into it and every track has something a bit different on there.
    Mod Henry wrote:
    If you like reggae go check out a chap called NATTY his album is beautiful came out last year.

I'm taking notes...
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:20 am

MidlandsDan wrote:

scottus86 wrote:I have however been listening to lots of Desmond Dekker for the summer.

It Mek is a great tune, also the big hits like Israelites...but to me he can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, many tunes a bit unremarkable. Do you think there's any truth to this?

No truth just opinion, I find the majority of his stuff relaxing and fun to sing along to, I like the positive feelings his songs have, and they way i feel if i have it on in my car or walking down the street like i couldn't feel any better if a tried, which happens with alot fo music, but as i said for this summer, for me it was desmond dekker, ask me in a years time n it'd probably be different.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:59 am

Yeah I can totally relate to that feeling mate. Nice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:13 am