Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Joe G
NotRich
brucestorm
MidlandsDan
Al
Andy DTA
10 posters

The Aggrolites "IV"

Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

The Aggrolites "IV" Empty The Aggrolites "IV"

Post by Andy DTA Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:07 pm

The Aggrolites come bouncing back onto the reggae world’s radar this month with the release of their fourth studio album, highly originally named “IV”. This is their third release off Hellcat Records, working for whom they have also been generous enough to provide the backing music for Tim Armstrong’s solo album “A Poets Life” a couple of years back.

IV follows The Aggrolites tradition of getting as much music onto one CD as possible, as they have managed to squeeze 75 minutes and 18 seconds of music onto the standard 80 minute CD. Considering the average album length for most bands would be a (comparatively paltry) 45-50 minutes, you are getting a lot of music for your money. The down side to this is that across the 21 tracks on the album there is simply not enough variety to make this a compelling record to listen to. Listening to it in the car on the way to work, you can hear song after song that sounds very similar to one you heard a short while before.

This is not to say there aren’t any ‘gems’ on the record – far from it. The opening track, Firecracker, is quite a jaunty number – and a bit of a jangly open different to that you would expect from hearing The Aggrolites previous work. This is (unsurprisingly) followed by track two, What A Complex, which slows it down a bit and gets that little bit more soulful. However, these two tracks effectively represent a good two thirds of the album to me, as a lot of the rest of it sounds quite like one or the other.

If you think back to Tim Armstrong’s album A Poets Life, you can see that with a bit of direction, this band can definitely do some fine work – but without the influence of a pro from outside the group, The Aggrolites are sadly lacking slightly in the creativity department. To my ears, IV sounds fairly similar to the bands previous release in 2007, Reggae Hit L.A., despite the couple of lineup changes the band have had since the release of that album (the bassist J. Bonner quit the group in August ’07, only for his replacement David Fuentes to die in late September of that year – the new bassist is Jeff Roffredo, formerly of Tiger Army).

Other than the couple of tracks mentioned above, the remaining highlights for me would be Runnin’ Strong (a throaty, powerful skank-fest of a song), Soul Gathering (a purely musical adventure, with no vocals – just a bouncing odyssey of synthetic harmonies and hooks) and the closing track, It’s Gonna Be OK. The album finishes on a brilliant mellow and reflective number that you just can’t keep from nodding along to. Indeed, a lot of the album has at the very least that effect on you – as background music that you aren’t really listening to or focussing on, I think it’s perfect. But if you’re looking for something to get you dancing, or even in the mood for dancing, then this album is not the one for you.

SkaMutiny Rating: 2/5

Andy

Last edited by Al on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Broken URL link.)
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

The Aggrolites "IV" Empty Re: The Aggrolites "IV"

Post by Al Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Decent review, sir, even though I thoroughly disagree Wink

I can see if you don't listen to this type of music it might not be as accessible as, say, ska-punk. But this is so well created, and when you start stripping it down, you realise just how much is going on.

I personally think Jesse Wagner has a superior voice to Tim Armstrong, and can't help but think this record steals a lot of the thunder from the new Rancid record. Talk about the student bettering the teacher.
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:40 pm

I do like his voice, I shall agree with your old bones on that. But the music just isn't quite varied enough for my tastes. Flick through the tracks and listen to the first 5 seconds of each. Okay its hardly the longest comparison, but they all start with a drum hit, then a... run of drum hits... (yes I don't know the technical terms!!!) then into the music. A small point I know, but a valid one I feel!
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Al wrote:. But this is so well created, and when you start stripping it down, you realise just how much is going on.

Sounds like something you could say about The Slackers also.

PS. I've met Jesse.
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Post by Al Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Yep. The Slackers, The Aggrolites, Westbound Train: all absolutely phenomenal without being immediately 'hit' friendly. Actually, that's just about my dream gig bill right there.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:29 pm

Too right, it would be sweet.
    brucestorm
    brucestorm
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by brucestorm Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Just downloaded this, sounds like a 75min long song. Can someone recomend a better album of theirs?
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:16 am

brucestorm wrote:Just downloaded this, sounds like a 75min long song. Can someone recomend a better album of theirs?

Their debut album, I think its the one with the red tiger on the front...if thats the one, its boss.
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:37 pm

I absolutely love the Aggrolites. There's very few white men out there with as much soul in their voice as Jesse Wagner.

Their self titled album (which was actually their second) is one of my favourite ska releases of recent years, it's completely spot-on with mixing reggae, soul and simple old-skool ska. Perfect summer music in my opinion.

Think i'll be picking up IV on Wednesday when I get paid.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:52 pm

It ain't ska its reggae.
    Joe G
    Joe G
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Joe G Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:34 am

The first album is the best by far.

Definately one of my favourite bands at the moment.
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:20 am

MidlandsDan wrote:It ain't ska its reggae.

There's a very fine line between the two at times and for me, the Aggrolites are one band that span that line frequently.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:06 pm

hell nothing to stop a song beeing both reggae And ska, only realy difernace if you want to be anal bout it is the walking base line.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:11 pm

midlands dan is so ska!
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:14 pm

I heard a rumour that he's even more ska than Aaron Barrett.

True story
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 pm

but he invented ska!
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:45 pm

And with it, skaids.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:57 pm

My great grandfather invented ska back in the day.

I've got no idea who I was talking to when I made that remark 'its reggae not ska'...blame the demon drink!

Also I've got a trapped nerve apparantly, so chalk it up to that.
    Mod Henry
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:39 pm

I think their self-titled album is their best release, but I prefer VI to Reggae Hit L.A. which lacked the strong lyrics of their first 2 albums. The fact is the album does in a way sound like a 75 min song but I like the way you can put it on in the background and it makes an atmosphere, it's not demanding, it's got a nice groove for groovy days. It's the best Hellcat release their year at least, Left Alone's album was a bit meh and Rancid, well, it wasn't their best album but this is nice. It's not the album I'd recommend but it represents their sound quite nicely.
    Szorn
    Szorn
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Szorn Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:16 am

Andy DTA wrote:... listen to the first 5 seconds of each. Okay its hardly the longest comparison, but they all start with a drum hit, then a... run of drum hits... (yes I don't know the technical terms!!!) then into the music. A small point I know, but a valid one I feel!

You don't listen to much first wave ska or reggae do you? Razz
    I understand if it's a bit repetitive and similar, it does seem that way, but it's music based heavily on (sometimes hypnotic) rhythm. It's music to dance to, giving you a constant rhythm and beat to do so.

Learn to play bass, if you haven't already. You will appreciate it FAR more.

But then again, each to their own and thanks for taking the time to review this album Very Happy

(I just got my hands on Native Instruments B4 software, an emulation of the Hammond B3 Organ, sweet sweet sounds...)
    Szorn
    Szorn
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Szorn Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:22 am

Oh, about the whole Reggae Ska thing, I heard that kids back in the day used to speed up Reggae vinyl because they preferred the faster beat. Then again I always thought Ska came before Reggae, or so I've read. Indeed, very fine line.

Their first album reminds me very much of Toots and the Maytals. Strange hearing a white man singing with such soul and presence. Will deffo have to check out IV.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:33 pm

Szorn wrote:
    I understand if it's a bit repetitive and similar, it does seem that way, but it's music based heavily on (sometimes hypnotic) rhythm. It's music to dance to, giving you a constant rhythm and beat to do so.

(I just got my hands on Native Instruments B4 software, an emulation of the Hammond B3 Organ, sweet sweet sounds...)

Indeed. Music to dance to, work to, drink to...on the one hand it can be a kind of trance inducing music, and on the other the most soulful background music in the world. The emotional state induced when listening to these old school sounds can be very different to more 'modern' sounding bands.

Hammond Organ type sounds are doubtless the best sounds in reggae in this wee mans opinion. Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:20 am