Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

TMCSS #002: Reel Big Fish "Favourite Noise"

Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

TMCSS #002: Reel Big Fish "Favourite Noise" Empty TMCSS #002: Reel Big Fish "Favourite Noise"

Post by Andy DTA Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:24 pm

TMCSS #002: Reel Big Fish "Favourite Noise" Favoritenoise

Favourite Noise
    Reel Big Fish
    (Mojo / Jive, 2002)

For those not ‘in the know’, Reel Big Fish in their early days released several albums that never made it onto these shores, due to their record label (Mojo) just putting them out in the USA. The first ‘Fish’ album to hit the shops in the UK was their 2001 album, “Cheer Up”, although “Favourite Noise” (and yes, I've spelt it the correct British way) which followed this onto the shelves in 2002 was actually a non-USA release only. It was made up of 14 songs from the albums before “Cheer Up”, namely “Why Do They Rock So Hard” and “Turn The Radio Off”, along with “Take on Me” from the BASEketball soundtrack and one track from “Cheer Up”.

Right, so that’s the history out of the way. Effectively an early ‘Greatest Hits’ CD, this one is a corker from start to finish. From the drum intro of “Everything Sucks” through to the frenetic frenzy that is the cover of A-ha’s “Take On Me”, the album is utterly danceable for at least 14 of the 16 tracks on offer. To quote our very own King of Team Review, Al, “it has none of the filler of the earlier records and none of the blatant crap of the later recordings”.

A harsh but fair comment. The contents of this album shall always be referred to as ‘classic’ Reel Big Fish, and not purely because it’s some of their older stuff. The albums released since, while all having some elements of genius in at least a couple of the tracks, have never given you the sense of satisfaction you get from a truly magnificent record. Make no mistake, you get that here.

While the album has the three most well-known Reel Big Fish tracks (“Sell Out”, “Beer” and “Take On Me”) so well-known that even a more mainstream music fan will often have heard the track played out somewhere and recognise it, ska fans will usually have their favourite from one of the less populist tracks. Examples include “Everything Sucks”, “S.R.”, “Trendy” and “She Has A Girlfriend Now”. I have seen Reel Big Fish live about 15 times, and not once has their set failed to include at the very least two of those four tracks, and usually more. Considering the band now has the product of 7 studio albums to choose from, along with a host of covers they’ve mastered, it goes to show just how popular those songs are.

A little bit on some of the above songs – Sell Out, as the band always refers to in their live hit, was “their big hit of the 90’s”. In fact, it was easily their biggest commercial success to do, and likely as not will not be topped by anything they release in the future. The tale is that classic one all successful bands face at some point in their career – to sign or not to sign?

“Beer” is a song worthy of any alcoholic, and features in the film BASEketball by Matt Stone and Trey Parker (of South Park fame) where it is used to get the crowd going during the game. Also in the film is “Take On Me”, probably the bands most popular cover, though the die-hard fans like me have some different choices for that accolade. Originally by A-ha, the RBF version is infinitely more lovable in so many ways.

What else does the album have? “She Has A Girlfriend Now”, which features Monique from Save Ferris, is a tale of a love lost to lesbianism, and how it might not be all as bad as it seems. This one has often proved a fun song live, especially as the ‘girl’ parts have been variously played by: a random girl dragged up from the crowd, a random boy dragged up from the crowd, Scott Klopfenstein putting a girly squeaky voice on, or a female vocalist from one of the support bands (including Laila from Sonic Boom Six).

If I went to the extent of telling you all just how good every other track on this album is, that’d spoil the surprise. Just look at the rating below and either hunt it out from your CD collection, or get yourself down to your local record shop (or iTunes for you technical whiz kids) and pick up a copy. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

SkaMutiny Review: 5/5

Andy

Last edited by Andy DTA on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited for accuracy, ta Rich)
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

TMCSS #002: Reel Big Fish "Favourite Noise" Empty Re: TMCSS #002: Reel Big Fish "Favourite Noise"

Post by Al Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Wow. I said that? Sometimes I really do get it spot on Wink
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

TMCSS #002: Reel Big Fish "Favourite Noise" Empty Re: TMCSS #002: Reel Big Fish "Favourite Noise"

Post by NotRich Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Andy DTA wrote:
    What else does the album have? “She Has A Girlfriend Now”, which features Rachel from Zolof the Rock and Roll Destroyer, is a tale of a love lost to lesbianism, and how it might not be all as bad as it seems.

Subsequent versions may well have included Rachel from Zolof, i'm not sure, but the original version on this record is most definitely Monique Powell from Save Ferris doing the female vocals.

When it comes to Reel Big Fish, and this compilation in particular, I find it increasingly hard to appreciate what's going on. Four or five years ago I could listen to this and love it every time, but it really feels as though almost all the tracks off this CD are incredibly overplayed.
    It popped up on random on my iPod the other day, and I found myself skipping each track after 30 seconds or so.

The overly poppy style to what they do just seems to be something I find increasingly hard to stomach as I get older, and in my mind they just haven't achieved the timelessness that LTJ have managed.
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:23 pm

Personally speaking I find it the other way around, that LTJ haven't achieved the timelessness that Reel Big Fish have! Just a matter of preference there though. I've edited the article, foolish error on my part. Sorry Monique Smile lol
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Rich is right, it was Monique Powell. That's how I found Save Ferris.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:50 pm