Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Big D and the Kids Table "Fluent in Stroll"

Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Big D and the Kids Table "Fluent in Stroll" Empty Big D and the Kids Table "Fluent in Stroll"

Post by Al Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:58 am

Big D and the Kids Table "Fluent in Stroll" Big_d_10
    Fluent in Stroll
    Big D and the Kids Table
    (Side One Dummy, 2009)

Somewhat surprisingly 2007’s release of Strictly Rude was met with mixed reaction. Some (correctly) hailed the record as the best Big D and the Kids Table had to offer. Others, a militant hardcore bunch it seems, claimed the record to be too much of a departure from a band that had really nailed that third wave, up tempo skacore sound previously. It appeared that a foray into a more soulful reggae/dub territory wasn’t that palatable for some. Now, if opinion was divided on that release then Fluent in Stroll is going to stick a crowbar into that divide and slash it even further apart.

From the opening beats of “Doped Up Dollied On a One Way Ticket To Blood” it’s blatantly apparent that Big D has chosen to walk another less trodden path, leaving both the reggae grooves of the previous album and the skacore legacy of earlier material, in favour of something, well, different. The soul/swing/gospel sound that percolates from back-up singers (The Doped Up Dollies themselves) is more a throwback to the heady days of Detroit Motown than anything ska has ever thrown out there. It’s a double-edged sword. On the one side it sounds fantastically decadent and intriguing. On the other, at least for the first few spins, it makes Dave McWane’s vocals seem confusingly out of place. Years ago one of the criticisms thrown at the band was that people struggled to ‘get it’ because of McWane’s voice. Here’s a revisit, then. The thing is, given time, the collaboration starts to pay off. Talk about the definition of a grower.

Across the album it’s the moments with the Dollies that make for impressive listening. The title track combines this soul with an almost Ray Charles blues/jazz feel and a fantastic cheerleader like chant. On “Not Fucking Around” it’s not going too far to say that the Dollies save the song, which, whilst being a nice little ska number, is lyrically cringe-worthy.

It’s not all about the Dollies though, nor is it a complete departure for the band. It’s worth remembering that for as much as Big D has always been wiling to mix it up the band definitely knows what works. Etched across Fluent in Stroll are moments, and indeed songs, that hark back to the band’s historical background. “Describing the Sky” is a fantastically chilled number, the perfect summer-in-the-park moment if you will, that would have happily sat alongside anything on Strictly Rude. It, like a lot of the tracks on offer here, is a brass laden number, a direction that the band seems to have put particular emphasis on this time around. “Where Did All the Women Go?” is a bass hungry number that bubbles around organs and brass to the degree of carnival. “Known to be Blue” throws a little Rat Pack aping interlude into the mix whilst closer “We Can Live Anywhere” may well be the best track on the whole album, bringing together every one of the components that make this record traditional Big D fare and border-breakingly novel all at the same time.

Make no mistakes, just because you like Big D & the Kids Table doesn’t mean you’ll like this record. By contrast, if you hate Big D that doesn’t mean you won’t enjoy this record. Give it ten-out-of-ten for bringing variety to the park. Points are lost however due to the varying degrees of success of this variety. One moment it gets it spot on, the next it just misses it. Take you’re time with this one: by no means it Fluent in Stroll immediate, but with time it develops a charm that will have you periodically coming back for more. A curious little number to say the least.

SkaMutiny rating: 3/5

Al
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Big D and the Kids Table "Fluent in Stroll" Empty Re: Big D and the Kids Table "Fluent in Stroll"

Post by NotRich Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Fantastic work as per usual Al.

Having been completely oblivious to this record's release, i may well make the effort to pick it up come payday. The tracks i've heard on the Myspace are a little sketchy though. Really like the backup singers idea, but I'm not sure how well they manage to fit with McWane's vocals. I'm quite willing to find out though, i've got all Big D's albums so far, so why stop now?
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Big D and the Kids Table "Fluent in Stroll" Empty Re: Big D and the Kids Table "Fluent in Stroll"

Post by Al Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 am

Agreed. Why stop now?

This definitely takes some getting your head around though. It's going to be interesting to see if it works live.
    detachedska
    detachedska
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by detachedska Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:34 pm

My thought on this album was that if they had a mix of the old punk big d that we're all more familiar with along with these songs it would create an awesome album. even though every song in it's own way is using different genres the albums abit to relaxed for my liking. dont get me wrong i really enjoy alot of these tracks but some were abit disapointing.

They really need to bring back the distorted guitars in my opinion and abit less of the female backing vocals. it gets abit repetitive.

However whilst havin a smoke it is a very good album to listen to and i have listened to it countless times being a massive fan.

like you say al it will be interesting to see how it works live

Rhys
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Sounds like they took a courageous step in doing something innovative / new...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:11 pm