Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
dbarefeet
Wai
scottus86
Jess
Reel Big Moose
tyrannosaurusben
The Amazing Fletch
Peeky
MangoSkeejykins
Andy DTA
elliemon
lightowler
Furious D
Cap'n Lee
Summers
19 posters

Your musical CV

Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Your musical CV - Page 2 Empty Re: Your musical CV

Post by Reel Big Moose Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:41 pm

My first band were a strange old skool punk/numetal mix lol called 'ANUBIA' we were terrible but always very entertaining so got a worrying amount of local gigs lol.
    About half way through the 2 year life of anubia, I joined our guitarists steves 'york rocks' band 'eclectica' a mixture of stadium rock and comercial punk lol, offspring and bryan adams? hmm that lasted a couple of months after i joined.
    after that was a gap of 3/4years before a chance meeting with the other guitarist from anubia dan, lead to us bothing whinging that we wanted to be in a band again and that there werent enough good industrial bands in the uk, so we made one, roping in steve from anubia and a good amte of mine matt bell on bass. we entered the fibbers/barfly battle of the bands a month after forming, and 6months later we won it. end of the summer I left the band due to creative diferences with dan: ie I was the only other person in the band who wanted a creative input and that annoyed him. and him being singer, songwriter and the only one with the neceasries to make the elcetronic noises for the industrialness, he stayed I left.
    we are mates again now so its all good, and tey are soert of still going tho only do about 2 gigs a year (this is allegedly going to change soon)

then finally comes comply or die a punk/ska/metal/hip hop/dnb mash up, again with steve lol with lanky punk smell on vocals, good mate of ours the young jim on 2nd guitar and now of course the mighty captain lee on bass lol. we play all over the place, we probably played with your mum at some point cos your mum jokes are always funny.
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:20 pm

my mum is a random hand loyalist i'm afraid
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 pm

You say lol a lot. You are now dubbed 'Sir Lolalot'. Get to it, summers.
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:37 pm

I may as well do one of these. I haven't got a real CV, but having a musical one is probably better anyway.

Er, perhaps my first taste of music was in a Gaelic choir when I was about 9. It was pretty dump but we got recorded for a CD and I sneezed at the very end which they never cut out. We sang at the MOD later on which is like a Scottish Isles Gaelic choir competition thing, but we didn't win. No surprises there really.

Then the opportunity came about for people to take brass instrument lessons instead of going to school assembly and so I jumped at the chance. Nae mair Gaelic hymns!

Fast forward a couple of years and I was playing Eb horn in a brass band and trumpet in a jazz band, orchestra, 2 concert bands and giving lessons at the weekends to primary school kids.
    Embarrassing music photo (I'm on the right)
    Your musical CV - Page 2 N607743033_521908_8642

Don't judge me, I was 15!

Anyway, then I did some stuff with my friend's 6 piece ska band called Famous Ape. We were a bit rubbish but it was fine. They did get considerably better once I had left...
    Giving it a thrash -
    Your musical CV - Page 2 441624958a6618090440l

Then I was browsing through myspace one sunday evening and came across Jb Conspiracy saying they needed a trumpet player for a wee while as Johnny was at uni. So I emailed them telling them I was interested, walked into school and quit the next day and got on the train to London the next. I'd never been to London before and all the tube staff took the piss out of my accent when i told them I was lost. Fucking pricks!

Your musical CV - Page 2 L_cf55fd4e017a2965895d1ac142b7fbaf

I don't have a band on the go at the mo.. was considering joining the Hostiles but they're too hectic with all their gigs for me to do uni at the same time. Everyone wants trumpet players, but i'm too far away! Sad
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Summers wrote:HAHA.

Your musical CV - Page 2 L_3591b3da1c8e4058810cbe1e13c7ae12

Matt looks dreamy.

The Guy at the back looks like a young Alan Partridge HAHA.
    Peeky
    Peeky
    The Mysterious Benefactor
    The Mysterious Benefactor

Post by Peeky Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:53 pm

scottus86 wrote:
    Summers wrote:HAHA.

Your musical CV - Page 2 L_3591b3da1c8e4058810cbe1e13c7ae12

Matt looks dreamy.

The Guy at the back looks like a young Alan Partridge HAHA.

Repped Hard for this
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:24 pm

pmsl he fully does! more reppage!
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Happy Camel wrote:

I don't have a band on the go at the mo.. was considering joining the Hostiles but they're too hectic with all their gigs for me to do uni at the same time. Everyone wants trumpet players, but i'm too far away! Sad

we neeeeed brass, trumpet and trombone for sure, grrrr
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Good gravy, you awful bastards
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 pm

quiet, alan
    Wai
    Wai
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Wai Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:46 am

This isn't really a massive extensive list, when I was younger I sung quite a lot in a musical theatre group, it's probably a tad embarrassing now, but I think I can just about live with it. My first band experience, I learned to play bass with some friends for a 50s/60s cover band called the Ricochets. It was a laugh, and we got payed large amounts of money for doing very little, the bass lines in particular were very simple. From there I went to Plymouth for uni, and started a 3 piece punk band called Kid Chameleon playing guitar and singing. I didn't realise but I just had a quick gander and our myspace is still up http://www.myspace.com/kidchameleontheband This was a project of love really I was good mates with the other guys in the band and it was a way for me to play songs that I'd been writing for a while. We played a handful of gigs, the last one of which we supported Captain Everything, at the White Rabbit, which was then called the Viaduct, that's about as good as we got. When they split up I ended up joining another 3-piece band called Seconds Out playing guitar again, but dropping back to backing vocals. Again we played a few gigs in the southwest area, probably peaking at supporting Babaa Luck and the Peacocks a week or so later. That's about it really we split up after the drummer revealed his true colours, and turned out to be a massive twat. I'm in the process of putting together a new band playing ska punk stuff, and I have some badly recorded songs here - www.myspace.com/timorousme

That is about all really.
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Try and get some gigs up in Exeter some time Very Happy not that plymouth is far for me to go, it just means i need to drive!
    Wai
    Wai
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Wai Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:32 pm

Haha will do once I get it together, I'm based in Bristol nowadays, but it's not too much further from Exeter then Plym. I need to pull my finger out really.
    dbarefeet
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by dbarefeet Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Well...I started off singing in choirs and playing recorder like every other person in the world. i sang in quite a few places and shows etc tho. i then went on to learn the trumpet a bit before then learning bass cos a few mates decided itd be fun to start a band. we didnt really have a name and never gigged but played many covers.

Then me and the guitarist from that band started Lukes Whisk. At the time we were a three piece pop punk band playing blink covers and the like. We then progressed into becoming a ten piece ska band of that name and played with bands such as the toasters, the pietasters, sonic boom six, random hand and a few more (that was ages ago. i cant remember).

i also started putting on gigs and put in the planet smashers, the aquabats, freefall felix, sonic boom six, useless id and many more. From that i started releasing cds for punk and ska bands locally under the name Farmcore Records. it did ok and sold a few hundred cds.

I then went on to play in Mickey One Punch www.myspace.com/mickey1punch we released a CD and played with RX Bandits, Spunge and Skylar. Was fun but we quit when i moved to uni.

I am now bandless and not too bothered. if i found a band in leeds i liked I would i reckon.

I now record bands and run a folk record label called Bare Feet Records. www.myspace.com/barefeetrecordsmusic i think is the link.its good fun and we sell many cds and put on many gigs with our next cd being a comp cd.

I now play bass, guitar, piano accordion penny whistle and the fife.
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:03 pm

I really really liked M1P, shame i never got to see you!
    dbarefeet
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by dbarefeet Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:08 pm

cheers. was a shame we split really. we were writing some awesome songs that never got recorded!
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:11 pm

dbarefeet wrote: we were writing some awesome songs that never got recorded!

the musical equivalent of the fish that got away bounce
    dbarefeet
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by dbarefeet Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:13 pm

haha damn right. i miss being in a band.sort of
    Kristoff
    Kristoff
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by Kristoff Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:51 pm

The first band I was in were called "Third Place". We were fucking shite. We never really had a drummer, because we couldn't find one who could keep time. We played about four gigs. Two school talent shows, a jam night at a venue in Poulton. We played really fucking wank pop punk. and the bassist was a right cunt.
    Your musical CV - Page 2 AntiEverything1
    (That's me on the right, with the acoustic guitar)

After that I did fuck all for ages and mostly sat about with a finger up my arse, until I formed Blackpool's best ska punk band ever, The Emotional Problems of Dirk Diggler. They were pretty shit too, but quite popular, because we had sex appeal. We played Rebellion Punk Festival 07 because some other band pulled out, and we got an opening slot on the Saturday on The Arena stage. That was a particulaly bad gig, due to terrible sound, and some fucking oi band blew the amps the night before. Twats.

Your musical CV - Page 2 IMG_3249-1
    (Hey look, can you see Veganfishcake, there, in all his beardy glory? I'm the one with my back turned to the camera. I have a fantastic arse)

It's about this time I started doing solo gigs as The Multi-Coloured Pop Shop, but more on that in a minute...

Then I formed Blackpools best ska pop band ever, Peter Simple/The Strikeouts. We started off with a 7 piece line up, and called it a day as a three piece. We recorded one song. We were a bit shit too, but not as shit as previous bands I've been in. www.myspace.com/thestrikeoutsuk there's pictures and shit on there too, and I can't be arsed going on to it to get photos, because my laptop hates Myspace.

I am now gigging solo as The Multi-Coloured Pop Shop, and this is by far my least shit musical venture yet... although it's still shit. Here's what happened. I started doing daft pop covers on guitar. A few years down the line, I buy a ukulele. A few weeks down the line I buy a kazoo. A few hours down the line Veganfishcake breaks my kazoo, a few months down the line I buy another kazoo, I don't let him near this kazoo. I've played at Rebellion Punk Festival twice on The Bizarre Bazaar Stage, and I am booked to play next year. I'm playing a gig with Ed Tudor Pole and Kunt and The Gang down in London in November, and yeah, this shit is looking good
    www.myspace.com/themulticolouredpopshop
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:59 pm

The drummer in that photo looks like a right miserable bastard. Ed Tudor Pole is a legend, I bet it'll be great playing with him.
    Kristoff
    Kristoff
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by Kristoff Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:53 pm

He was and still is one of the most miserable twats I've ever known. He wasn't actually our drummer in the proper sense, he just stood in for our incompetent drummer at the school talent show.
    suzyska
    suzyska
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by suzyska Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:30 pm

I have been playing trumpet since I was ten and piano before that... and I'm 26 now, but I never even knew about bands like LTJ until I was about 18 so therefore I never started with ska. I started off playing in school brass bands and orchestra from year 7. Then I started going to 'Saturday Morning Music School' at my school which was just a full morning of playing in bands and orchestras and (reluctantly) singing.

Then I joined the Beds County Music groups which met in school holidays and worked my way up to being a trumpet player in the Bedfordshire County Youth Concert Band and we went to Italy and Holland 'on tour'. lol. Joined the school big band in the 6th form too which I really liked.

Went to Uni and joined a wind band but it was dull. Joined a brass band which was also dull. So I quit. Then in 2003, desperate to play music I started posting on a rock soc forum and this resulted in me joining a ska band called Munky Punch:

Your musical CV - Page 2 HPIM3662

Your musical CV - Page 2 MunkyPunchDSU0031

Loved that band so much but due to people moving away from Durham we sadly split up in 2006 (we had 8 people in the band but there's only so many replacement musicians a band can take).

I tried making a band with some people in York. I actually attended one practice with Skatesian (Aaron and Steve MIBL's old band) but nothing more happened with that... then I tried making another band with Aaron and some other York students but we never seemed to get anywhere and we were lacking a singer. A bit later I joined Comply or Die and went to three practices but I couldn't commit to attending the practices so quit.

So now I'm in an unnamed band in York/Goole and we're working on some songs. We're covering old ska (think Desmond Dekker) and also writing some of our own stuff (slowly). I get to play piano, organ and trumpet which is pretty cool. Hoping to play some gigs next year. Smile
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 pm

I think I've heard of Munky Punch. It sounds familiar at least.
    suzyska
    suzyska
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by suzyska Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:52 pm

myspace.com/munkypunch Smile we never played any gigs outside of Durham/Newcastle but we had a lot of fans.. I was once on a train sat next to some dude and he'd heard of us and bought a cd off me there and then. so random.
    RyanCantFly
    RyanCantFly
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by RyanCantFly Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:17 am

I started playing Trombone in Junior School at the age of 7, I don't know why I chose it, but I did. I soon adapted to playing bass trombone parts and joined the Southampton Youth Junior Brass Band. I worked my way up through the various stages of SYBB until at 14 I was principal Bass Trombone for the top/oldest band. I got to tour some great places including China.

I also later joined the Southampton Pops Orchestra, again as principal Bass Trombone and got to tour Georgia and Tennessee. Throughout this time I had started to get into pop-punk and ska and was asked to join Zero Consent as trombonist, which I played in for about 2 and a half years, also doing backing vocals. I also joined another local ska band Harpoon Larsen (many members of which now play for Lost on Landing) which was great fun.

By this point I had started studying Music Tech at Portsmouth Uni. I had left Zero Consent and Harpoon Larsen had broken up, which spurred myself and the ZC sax player to form Kids Can't Fly. In my 2nd year of Uni I joined Fandangle, deciding to drop out of uni and putting KCF somewhat on hold to tour all year instead. It's here that I learned a hell of a lot about the UK music scene and touring in general and I got to play some great festivals in Europe. I left Fandangle in early 2008 due to differences between myself and Adam and started to push forward with Kids Can't Fly more, leading me to today.

I can also play Guitar, Bass and a bit of Drums, and spent 2 years of my time in KCF playing rhythm guitar and singing lead vocals. This May we changed line-up and I moved back to trombone, splitting the lead vocal role with our new Rhythm Guitarist, Robin, allowing for us to hit awesome harmonies live.

I've skipped over various little groups I've played in, such as Big Bands, Orchestras etc. and I was also lucky enough to play trombone for Zebrahead at quite a few of their shows, including Sonisphere 2009, providing horns for Anthem and Hell Yeah.

That's about all I can think of! Take care x

Last edited by RyanCantFly on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 am