Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
ba-ba
NotRich
Parg
Cap'n Lee
Kristoff
lightowler
Reel Big Moose
Wreckless Jake
MidlandsDan
Steff
Jess
elliemon
Peeky
therur
iamemmao
christinamarie
The Amazing Fletch
scottus86
22 posters

Cooking

MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Cooking - Page 2 Empty Re: Cooking

Post by MidlandsDan Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:05 pm

The Amazing Fletch wrote:I went into the butchers the other day and he had meat hanging from the ceiling on those meathook things. He said to me, "I bet you a tenner you can't take the meat off the ceiling."

I said, "I'm not betting, the steaks are too high."

Hahaha. A joke is alway nice.

Does Midlands Dan cook? Fuck yeah he cooks.

When I first moved into this flat, I grilled some meat and then when washing up found that the grill pan doesn't fit in the sink...par for the course I suppose but they should think of this shit when designing stuff.
    So I took the pan outside to the car park and smashed the shit out of it with my baseball bat in a fit of rage. Possibly a contributing reason to me not having really met any of the neighbours, or so I am told.

Cooked a curry for me and a lady...oh shit sorry, a lady and I...we ate half cos I rustled up shitloads...I like to do that shit so as I don't have to cook when I get home at like midnight, I can just microwave the stash, you feel me?
    Anyway lying in bed later I was heard to utter the famous words, 'that was good curry (and by god my stomach for one was in a state of bliss)...did we put the other half in the fridge or the freezer? I can't remember.'

Some among you may have already guessed where this tale of horror is going.

Yes, as I cast an eye back over the evenings events, it slowly dawned on me with a great sensation of IMPENDING DOOM that I had left the goddamn motherfucking curry out on the side.

No way were either of us dragging our sorry arses out of bed to fix that shit. So, with counselling and time, we were able to come to terms with the loss of the rest of that particular batch and dispose of it accordingly (ie. into the bin).

Amen.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:25 pm

christinamarie wrote:
    Wreckless Jake wrote:

Also, Id love to dip christina's cupcakes. [/lameinnuendo]

that doesn't even make any sense.

First of, Ha told

secondaly cooking prety pro, curant favs are noodles that make you swet (cury powder, mushroom soup and a Fuck load of pepper), curouso sausage and bacon sause (onion fresh tomatoes curouso or how ever you spell it sauseage and bacon on pasta) simple fry up and chiken and bacon salad with a lemon dressing.

oviously steak
    christinamarie
    christinamarie
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by christinamarie Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:29 pm

Reel Big Moose wrote:

christinamarie wrote:bands launching singles in glasgow get cupcakes

If i launch a cd single off the stage when we play will that count? I want cupcakes!

'fraid not, you need to earn your cupcakes!
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:34 pm

A gift to you all from the SoupCore community.

http://www.newcoventgardenfood.com/site/recipe_home.asp
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:28 pm

I make a mean stir fry and I'm also good at making cookies. My yorkshire puddings are ok as long as I have the right tins.

I'm not very impressive with pasta though. Does anyone have any pasta recipes with don't involve tomatoes. All I do at the moment is boil the pasta and add pesto from a jar/cheese. Not very exciting. I can't eat anything with tomatoes in, which is pretty much everything. That probably explains my slender figure.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 pm

The Amazing Fletch wrote:That probably explains my slender figure.

Hahahaha yeah ok, just as mine and several others on heres' steady diet of no sleep, alcohol and mj contributes to our healthy physiques and glowing complexions right...

As for the pasta, pasta's shit anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

My brother in Milton Keynes and his girl give the best breakfast I've had...this threads got me jonesing to crash round theirs' now.
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:19 am

The Amazing Fletch wrote:I make a mean stir fry and I'm also good at making cookies. My yorkshire puddings are ok as long as I have the right tins.

I'm not very impressive with pasta though. Does anyone have any pasta recipes with don't involve tomatoes. All I do at the moment is boil the pasta and add pesto from a jar/cheese. Not very exciting. I can't eat anything with tomatoes in, which is pretty much everything. That probably explains my slender figure.

Carbonara is pretty simple, eggs and cheese and a bit of butter, once thats all done add some friend chunks of bacon, keep stiring it untill its warm, but make sure it doesn't scramble, then just put the pasta in, yummy yum yum.

Or make a cheese sauce with cheese flour butter and milk, and then add pasta, then you have something similar to mac cheese, yum yum also!

AND

for variety on the cheese sauce of things, try using stilton, and other cheese, or adding mushrooms and ham, and things you do like.

Can't think of any other kinds of pasta sauce that don't involve tomatos though.
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:49 am

Complete student food but pasta with Dolmio pasta bake sauce and peas all mixed together is tops. Perhaps a bit of grated cheese if it's bursary week!

Fletch, check out http://www.tomatoesareevil.com/ Looks like there's few good recipes on there. If not, there's some nice anti-tomato games too.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:28 am

Wow nice one, Jess. I'm glad I'm not alone.
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:06 pm

what happens if you eat a tomato fletch?

i had a friend at high school who claimed to be scared of tomatoes. she wasn't allergic or anything.. just afraid! :S

and i'm sorry to hear about midlandsdan's terrible experience. Sad
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:29 pm

The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 pm

If I eat a tomato or anything with a trace of tomato in it i wretch (sp?). I just hate them.
    Kristoff
    Kristoff
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by Kristoff Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:43 pm

I love cooking. Very rarely does a day go by when I don't cook something good.

Anyway, I'll share a recipe, I don't use exact ingredients for things like this, it all depends on how much meat is used whatev's...

My F*cking AWESOME chilli con carne.

For the main bulk of the meal you will need:

Pork Mince and 1 pack or smoked, streaky bacon
    or
    Lamb Mince
    or
    Quorn
    or
    3 tins of beans that you like, or three tins of bean salad

If you're not doing the vegan option of doing an entirely bean dish, you will also need a tin of beans of your choice (I suggest pinto or black eyed beans... kidney beans are rubbish)

Tinned chopped tomatoes
    Tomoto Puree
    2 big ass onions

And for your spices/flavourings :
    Cumin
    Chipotle Chillis (dried, smoked jalapenos)
    Chilli Powder
    1 fresh green chilli
    Dried coriandar
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    Dried parsley
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 Limes

---

Firstly, if you're doing the pork and bacon chilli, I'd cook the bacon first. You want to slice the bacon into bite sized chunks, and then fry it in a pan with a little oil. Then drain the bacon, but retain the oil and rendered bacon fat for flavour.

---

Finely slice the onions, and fry in a little oil/bacon fat and oil.
    Add chipotle chillis and continue to fry.
    Add a teaspoon or two of cumin, and a teaspoon of chilli powder and continue to fry.
    Finely chop the green chilli, if you like it HOT leave the seeds in, but I suggest taking them out, so you can taste the fruity flavour of the chilli as well as the heat of it... plus you can adjust the heat later!!
    Add the minced garlic and continue to fry for about 1 minute, so that the garlic doesn't burn and go bitter.

If using meat as your main ingredient, add that to the pan and brown. If using minced pork and bacon, add the bacon after the pork has browned off.

If using quorn/beans as your main ingredient, add to the pan and don't fry.

Add tinned chopped tomatoes, and tomato puree, and leave to simmer.

Whilst the chilli is simmering, add the zest and juice of one lime to the chilli.

At this point taste the chilli, and make sure you season it with salt and pepper, REMEMBER SALT AND PEPPER!! DON'T DARE FORGET OR I MAY HAVE TO HIT YOU!!!, adjust the spicyness to your preferred taste by adding more chilli powder, or chipotle chillis to it. I like mine just at the brink of being very spicy, but still to the point where you can taste it.

Leave it to simmer for an hour on the lowest heat you can possibly get down to, and give it a good 5 minutes on a high heat before serving.

Serve with basmati and wild rice, with soured cream to help cool your mouth down, and a wedge of lime on the side
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:59 pm

elliemon wrote:

i had a friend at high school who claimed to be scared of tomatoes. she wasn't allergic or anything.. just afraid! :S

Sad

Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:32 pm

and now we know feltch's kryptonite
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:54 pm

If you feed me tomatoes in a few weeks I'll shit on your chips.
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Shocked
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:39 pm

Kristoff wrote:I love cooking. Very rarely does a day go by when I don't cook something good.

Anyway, I'll share a recipe, I don't use exact ingredients for things like this, it all depends on how much meat is used whatev's...

My F*cking AWESOME chilli con carne.

For the main bulk of the meal you will need:

Pork Mince and 1 pack or smoked, streaky bacon
    or
    Lamb Mince
    or
    Quorn
    or
    3 tins of beans that you like, or three tins of bean salad

If you're not doing the vegan option of doing an entirely bean dish, you will also need a tin of beans of your choice (I suggest pinto or black eyed beans... kidney beans are rubbish)

Tinned chopped tomatoes
    Tomoto Puree
    2 big ass onions

And for your spices/flavourings :
    Cumin
    Chipotle Chillis (dried, smoked jalapenos)
    Chilli Powder
    1 fresh green chilli
    Dried coriandar
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    Dried parsley
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 Limes

---

Firstly, if you're doing the pork and bacon chilli, I'd cook the bacon first. You want to slice the bacon into bite sized chunks, and then fry it in a pan with a little oil. Then drain the bacon, but retain the oil and rendered bacon fat for flavour.

---

Finely slice the onions, and fry in a little oil/bacon fat and oil.
    Add chipotle chillis and continue to fry.
    Add a teaspoon or two of cumin, and a teaspoon of chilli powder and continue to fry.
    Finely chop the green chilli, if you like it HOT leave the seeds in, but I suggest taking them out, so you can taste the fruity flavour of the chilli as well as the heat of it... plus you can adjust the heat later!!
    Add the minced garlic and continue to fry for about 1 minute, so that the garlic doesn't burn and go bitter.

If using meat as your main ingredient, add that to the pan and brown. If using minced pork and bacon, add the bacon after the pork has browned off.

If using quorn/beans as your main ingredient, add to the pan and don't fry.

Add tinned chopped tomatoes, and tomato puree, and leave to simmer.

Whilst the chilli is simmering, add the zest and juice of one lime to the chilli.

At this point taste the chilli, and make sure you season it with salt and pepper, REMEMBER SALT AND PEPPER!! DON'T DARE FORGET OR I MAY HAVE TO HIT YOU!!!, adjust the spicyness to your preferred taste by adding more chilli powder, or chipotle chillis to it. I like mine just at the brink of being very spicy, but still to the point where you can taste it.

Leave it to simmer for an hour on the lowest heat you can possibly get down to, and give it a good 5 minutes on a high heat before serving.

Serve with basmati and wild rice, with soured cream to help cool your mouth down, and a wedge of lime on the side

Fucking nice.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:19 am

i may well try making that chilli at some point amtey, sounds boss!
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:38 am

Chilli is awesome. I would probably make some if I didn't have to clean up all the pans and stuff
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:50 am

i just thought, i'm living on my own from thursday till sunday so i'm gonna have to cook for myself! may try the chilli also!! Very Happy

how spicy is it? i can only handle moderate spice Embarassed
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 am

more than ricky h anyway
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am

If you're making it yourself can you not make it as spicy as you like?

When I have spicy food I prefer it medium hot. I don't get this whole manly thing about being able to eat hot curries. I could probably eat a really hot curry but I wouldn't necessarily enjoy it.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 pm

i like things that are really hot, but they need to have a nice taste to them, usually when you order the hottest thing, it doesn't actually taste of anything, you eat it and all you get is the hot sensation, what is the point of that?
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 pm

i would just tone it down but i dont know how spicy it is already so i dunno how much to omit, or in fact what to omit. i'm guessing the chillis would be the thing but are any of the other ingredients spicy in a big way?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:40 pm