Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Steff
therur
The Amazing Fletch
Peeky
iamemmao
lightowler
Cap'n Lee
11 posters

the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread

lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread - Page 11 Empty Re: the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread

Post by lightowler Thu May 05, 2011 7:20 pm

postal voted like a pro, some one was standing for a yorkshire party so he got one of my votes
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread - Page 11 Empty Re: the how are you feeling/what are you doing thread

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon May 16, 2011 7:21 pm

got white noise by stiff little fingers stuck in my head, not the best song to be humming at work.
    i need to try and get ace of base back in there.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Tue May 17, 2011 11:28 am

had a really good Indian last night, had really bad shits this morning. If there is a lesson to be learnt here I am ignoring it in the interests of really tasty food.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon May 23, 2011 6:12 am

It seems like I've not posted on here in ages. I've had friends over for the last week so I've been too busy to do internet things. They've gone home now but I'm still quite busy with tidying up and awesome weather - it's hot here now.

I've got my baby scan today. It's the one where we can find out the sex. I don't want to find out but I'm almost certain it's going to happen anyway, whether by accident or fetus-flashing.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon May 23, 2011 10:54 am

i read about a couple that refuses to disclose the sex of their kid to anyone.
    The theory is that they won't be pushed into a gender role.

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/21/raising-a-kid-withou.html

Since the kid is named storm, i really hope it's a girl, though or i'm sure that counts as abuse.
    reminds me of the tim minchin storm thingy
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Mon May 23, 2011 11:33 am

Hope it all goes well fletch! I like guessing what sex is going to be, I think you're going to have a girl...

And that storm thing is disgraceful, I understand not wanting to push it into gender roles but you can have a girl and not dress it head to toe in pink...
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon May 23, 2011 11:45 am

the argument is more about how others treat a baby based simply on whether it's a girl or a boy
    http://scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/2011/03/09/baby-boy-baby-girl-baby-x/

if a toddler girl wears a pink dress, adults will compliment her on it. It doesn't take long before that's all she wants to wear.

I appreciate the effort that the parents are making, but they're definitely going about it the wrong way. I'd have just told family that we wouldn't accept any gifts with a strong gender identity for the baby. What they're doing is just plain weird
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon May 23, 2011 1:45 pm

While I can see what that family is doing, and sympathise somewhat, they're just asking for trouble. A lot of the time the argument for knowing the sex is so you can paint their room a certain colour. Why does that even matter?

While it doesn't matter what colour clothes a baby wears or even what toys they play with - which, by the way, I don't think is true at all; I've seen boys play with dolls and girls play with meccano - I do think later on in their life they're going to need at least some sense of gender identity. That poor kid may grow up in a storm of confusion about who they are themselves.

Back to my baby. I really have no idea one way or the other what the sex is. Apparently the baby is quite low in the uterus so that indicates a boy but there's an old wives tale that says that the nature of my job means I can only have girls.

Nice little article by the way, Lee.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon May 23, 2011 1:56 pm

I don't think the intention is to ban meccano or toy trucks. it's more about the kid getting those when they want them, not being expected to play with them because of their gender.

back to feltch, i hope you take better care of the baby than you do your poor neglected wolves. sitting, patiently waiting for their master to return, like hachiko/seymour.

img
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Mon May 23, 2011 2:38 pm

The baby debate is well interesting! The boss knows he's having a girl and he's been a little worried about how things like this when she's born might influence her when she's older. I think they've decided not to buy her anything pink, but they don't mind to much about other people doing so as long as they don't go crazy. His missus is a primary school teacher and she finds at the younger ages boys and girl generally play with the same things, its not until they get a bit older it sets in and are more influenced which i thought was quite interesting. My best friend at school was a boy, this probably influenced the way I turned out, although he was redicuously intelligent so maybe not too much Razz

My mum worries me slighty, she was walking around in a shop getting clothes for my nephews and when going past the girls eisle she nicely held up a dress and turned to me and Lee and declared she would like girl babies. I know full well she'll go dresses/pink crazy and try and dress the baby up like a doll if I ever pop out a girl! I guess I had lots of dresses and dolls when I was little, but I think the effect of having four brothers has made me into a complete tomboy...
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon May 23, 2011 3:00 pm

i tried to find an article on the stages of gender identity with children, my recollection of the matter is quite hazy. Until a certain age, i think 2 or 3, a child isn't capable of knowing the difference and then they have a very simplified view for a while after.

thats when you start getting logic from kids like "you're playing with a doll, girls play with dolls, that means you're a girl"
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm

So it all comes down to the fact that kids can be so cruel. So much for innocence. Though I guess they are innocently cruel.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Mon May 23, 2011 3:19 pm

cross posting a post from the other forums because lee will love it

XenosisReaper wrote:Working IT in a Zoo creates some interesting technical issues

Xeno "why did we just lose half the site network?"
    Underling "looks like one of the hubs just failed"
    Xeno "and where IS that hub?"
    Underling "uh, gorilla enclosure"
    Xeno ":psyduck: :ohnoes:"

Seriously, why put a fragile shiny thing on 15 metres up a tree in the gorilla enclosure "To get the best connection" WHEN GORILLAS CLIMB AND LIKE SHINY THINGS. By the time we'd moved them all inside they'd left bits of plastic and cabling strewn accross the ground.

edit, apparently there were wolves in the same enclosure before the gorillas and nobody thought to tell me when they put climbing building destroyers there instead.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon May 23, 2011 4:45 pm

haha, hubs.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm

my favourite is the dentist and the birthday party

mowm, parp!
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Wed May 25, 2011 5:03 pm

just cried alittle bit at one of the stupid dog ones
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed May 25, 2011 5:15 pm

i do love the picture of helper dog rolling to the dog bowl
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu May 26, 2011 8:21 am

Hyperbole and a Half is a pretty good blog. Her drawings go really well with the stories she tells and they're quite entertaining. I read one about how a goose found its way into her kitchen once. That one is well worth a read.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Thu May 26, 2011 7:58 pm

well now skamutiny is blocked on the work e safe thing with the reason GAMES
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri May 27, 2011 9:50 am

haha, it was bound to happen eventually
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Fri May 27, 2011 11:21 am

But aren't you all large and in charge and stuff??
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Fri May 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Does this mean we can bitch about Bob now because he spends all his time at home playing space ships and can't spend all of his time at work on Ska Mutiny?
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri May 27, 2011 2:50 pm

and he smells like a fannytrump
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Fri May 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:the argument is more about how others treat a baby based simply on whether it's a girl or a boy
    http://scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/2011/03/09/baby-boy-baby-girl-baby-x/

if a toddler girl wears a pink dress, adults will compliment her on it. It doesn't take long before that's all she wants to wear.

I appreciate the effort that the parents are making, but they're definitely going about it the wrong way. I'd have just told family that we wouldn't accept any gifts with a strong gender identity for the baby. What they're doing is just plain weird

I know I'm a few days behind on this but Lee, you are pretty spot on there, interesting article is interesting.

I have now finished all of my exams and have a very long university free summer to look forward to. Got to find a job now, aiming for anything above minimum wage although I'm fairly sure that's not going to happen if I spend summer in country bumpkin rural Wales.

Also have to learn InDesign because I've somehow got myself to be the editor of the student newspaper in my uni.

On a ska related note, I'm also in charge of live events for Bay Radio next year so if anyone wants to tour the middle of fucking nowhere, I'm your man!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 10:00 am