Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
NotRich
Cap'n Lee
Brooksy
MangoSkeejykins
Joe G
Furious D
Al
Reel Big Moose
Andy DTA
13 posters

Sonic Boom 6, The Maze, Nottingham (29.05.09)

Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Sonic Boom 6, The Maze, Nottingham (29.05.09) Empty Sonic Boom 6, The Maze, Nottingham (29.05.09)

Post by Andy DTA Sun May 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Sonic Boom Six
    Friday 29 May, 2009
    The Maze, Nottingham
    Support: Random Hand + Dirty Revolution + Girlfixer + We Are The Man

The build-up to tonight’s gig has been immense and painstakingly long – I first heard about this several months ago, and have been eagerly awaiting the night ever since. Sonic Boom 6 are my favourite UK act of the moment, and have been for a while – followed in a close second place by Random Hand. To have both of them on the same bill is an exciting proposition indeed. The allure of the bill was evident in the venue being half full before the first band were on, and being 95% full by the time of the second band, which is always impressive for any gig!

To start the night off, we have local act WE ARE THE MAN. This band will always have a bit of a cult following in Nottingham, mainly because the guitarist is none other than local ska promoter-legend Gaz, who has organised tonight’s gig and many fine others with his promotions company, Revolution Sounds. As a band, however, I found We Are The Man slightly lacking. For a start they were missing a member tonight, as the saxophonist/backing singer is on holiday in France. The band started off with some classic ska-style numbers, but progressed on to dropping a few more reggae songs in to boot. Sadly, the singer could not hold his voice at the notes he was attempting to reach, which detracted from an otherwise average, if unremarkable performance. Obviously not all ska singers need to have the best voice (just look at Lars Frederiksen) but if this is the case then you need to adapt your singing style to suit, which hasn’t happened here. However, with a bit of work I’m sure this band could improve further, and regardless they were a fun act to watch.

Another local band, GIRLFIXER, is next to take to the stage – this is their first gig in several months as they have had a bit of time off due to injuries and holidays. If you didn’t know this, however, you wouldn’t have been able to tell, as the band were as tight as the last time I saw them and just as entertaining – if not more so! They have their own unique punk sound, in which the influence of The Distillers is apparent but not overwhelmingly so. The singer has a great set of lungs on her, with a fine growl and scream thrown in for good measure. The band show off their touring experience with a highly energetic set, with each member giving their all to make the performance stand out – in particular, I am as always impressed with the bassist, Lance, who literally cannot stand still and throws his instrument around all over the place yet still doesn’t miss a note, even with the classic ‘throw it round your head’ move. The one sour note is a lack of much banter between songs with the crowd, although when mentioning their merchandise for sale they did say that their t-shirts make good tea towels (though they’d rather you just wore them instead). The crowd loved the performance, with a fine mosh pit dominating the floor for most of the set, sweaty bodies throwing themselves all over the place regardless of the obscene amount of heat in the room from the combination of the summer’s day, a big crowd and it being a relatively small room. The band closed their set with their anthemic and very catchy tune “You Will Regret This”, which they have a rather good video on YouTube for. Definitely a band worth checking out.

After a brief respite to cool down ever so slightly, we are treated to the Cardiff-based DIRTY REVOLUTION. Another female-fronted band, this is my second time seeing them and they have improved on what was already a highly competent performance. They have an accomplished ska-punk sound, with some nice catchy hooks and a flawless performance. The band has obviously been on the road a lot before, and has a good bit of crowd engagement between songs. The music is very easy to listen to, and I found myself irresistibly drawn into a bit of skanking without consciously realising it. Once again, they are a band I would highly recommend you have a listen to.

As the night draws on, we get to Keighley’s most famous export, RANDOM HAND. (I don’t know if they are really the most famous thing from Keighley, but as I’ve never heard of anything else from there I shall assume that they are.) Random Hand seem to be having a fantastic year so far – they’ve toured the country supporting the legendary Reel Big Fish, put out a brilliant new album ‘Inhale/Exhale’ on Rebel Alliance, played a blinding set at Slam Dunk festival in Leeds earlier this week, had a great tour with Sonic Boom 6 and are soon to release a single and video off the new album. Looking back at my notes for their set, my eyes are drawn mainly to two words written large and bold above everything else – “FUCKING GOOD!” The singer, Robin, gives some great credit to the bands on before, in particular saying of Dirty Revolutions “the bass line was so intense while I was having a shit upstairs it made everything come out a lot easier”. Thanks for that Robin. The set list had everything a Random Hand fan would want to hear on it, with the best tracks of their first and second albums all featuring, along with some great entertainment for the crowd too. If they carry on like this, 2009 is definitely going to be an awesome year for them.

Finally we come to the pinnacle of the night, SONIC BOOM 6. They took the brave decision for this tour to play out the whole of their new album, ‘City of Thieves’ – apparently this choice hasn’t worked brilliantly on every gig, but overall they’ve been happy with the response. I know from seeing their set at Slam Dunk festival that it has gone down fairly well in most places, but it builds up the crowd reaction even better for when they play out some of the older songs towards the end of the set. Tonight sees a packed crowd (not bad considering they don’t take to the stage till nearly 1am) treated to ‘City of Thieves’ right through from Track 1 almost all the way through the album. As it seems most of the crowd had heard that this was what the Boom would be treating us too, it was apparent that a large portion had done their research and so had an appreciation for the new songs already. Just like at Slam Dunk, probably the best reaction came for ‘Strange Transformations’, the tale we all recognise of chav culture turning to violence on nights out. When the new stuff was finished and they moved on to ‘People Ack Like They Don’t Know’, the already hectic crowd went into overdrive. The dance floor was a glorious heaving and sweaty mess. A few songs later, and the Boom finished their set to rapturous applause, and ended up returning to the stage for an encore performance of ‘All-In’. A fantastic end to an absolutely epic night.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Sonic Boom 6, The Maze, Nottingham (29.05.09) Empty Re: Sonic Boom 6, The Maze, Nottingham (29.05.09)

Post by Reel Big Moose Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 am

I really dont like girlfixer. average band, below-average people. Least tahts the impression I got after playing with em.

enough about my personal distain tho, well written review man Smile
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Sonic Boom 6, The Maze, Nottingham (29.05.09) Empty Re: Sonic Boom 6, The Maze, Nottingham (29.05.09)

Post by Andy DTA Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:49 am

Thanks Smile I know three quarters of girlfixer very well, the drummer is a particularly close friend, and I think the band are rather damn good myself - but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

EVEN IF ITS WRONG.

Lol Smile
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:17 pm

they were just ignorant when we played with them, had all ther fans turn up just for them and didnt even come out to watch us or the american band we toured with (who ahd come over on there own money saving for a full year to do so)
    im sorry but if a gig is quiet its just common courtesy to watch the otehr bands playing so at least they are playing to some one.
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Post by Al Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:46 pm

Good stuff, Andy. You have earned your green name on this review. Now you must maintain it Wink
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Many cheers for the good review! You big man, you Smile
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:24 am

lol i'm quite pleased with the review, considering I was drunk at the gig, and drunk when I wrote it up Smile i'm also drunk now but too sleepy to write up the Sheffield Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies gig from thursday so will attempt to get round to it tomorrow, before it all leaks out my head.
    Joe G
    Joe G
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Joe G Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:19 pm

great review maaaate!

Haven't seen SB6 for a long time now, looking forward to them coming to Chepstow in August!
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:37 pm

cheers dude, shall give you your first rep points for approving Smile lol
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:41 pm

hey man, loved the review, i was hoping to get to that gig but shit happens and i missed it =[ random hand are awesome live!

you gunna be at the july 12th chaselongbeach gig? same venue, wouldn't mind a review of my band up here though i don't know how good it'll be haha
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:29 pm

I get back from america a couple of days before, so depends how much money i've spent more than i should do, lol.
    Brooksy
    Brooksy
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Brooksy Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Cool review Andy darling! Very Happy
    Reel Big Moose isn't very nice is he? Hmmmm... average band... average people... im gonna cry myself to sleep.
    But for the record, i did watch comply or die and the pogo, and so did our bassist. The other 2 do happen to be ignorant fucks, i'll give you that!
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:25 pm

HI I'm reel big moose, im not a nice person Smile Exeptin over ten years of gigging I think I've voiced negative opinions on maybe 3 bands of the hundreds ive played with? SOrry if that makes me a bad person as one of them happens to be yours. If you did watch us then you did a very good job of hiding as you did, and you certainly didnt say anything to any of us. Not so much as a thankyou for letting people use my gear. But hey its a long time ago now so as they seay, whatever.

interesting that you sign up and make just one post, to a long dead topic that just happens to be about your band.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:26 pm

sorry, he's a drummer, he doesn't know any better
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:25 pm

I nearly used negative rep then.
    But i'm still boycotting it Laughing

I never think it's very healthy or very helpful to trash talk about a band on the internet. You'd be surprised how many people take one person's viewpoint as gospel, and that's how you get bands gaining a bad reputation when it's quite often undeserved.

For example, years ago there were a band from Leeds called The Agency. At some point one of the members made a slightly risque joke that was overheard by somebody, or taken the wrong way and rumours circulated quite quickly that the band were a bunch of out-and-out racists. I know for a fact that this wasn't true, I knew the guys, but that's how things get out of hand.

The same goes for Fandangle, who all credit to them, managed to brush off any negative press and did quite well for themselves. There were all sorts of stories went around about them stealing kit, stealing sandwiches from service stations, being generally rude etc. Some of which may have been true, but a lot of which was people jumping on the bandwagon.

If you've had a bad experience with a band then fair enough, but making out that they're a bunch of idiots on the internet isn't really a constructive way to go about things in my opinion. Put it down to experience, and let other people make their own minds ups.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:28 pm

It's not often Ricky H is right, but when he's right, he's fucking right.
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks Lee,

Thee
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Another point is how it looks on you and your band, I never take it seriously when people slag off other bands they've played with, it comes across as arrogant and petty.

to clarify:
    The opinions expressed are those of Dave's and do not necessarily reflect the positions of Comply or Die.
    Brooksy
    Brooksy
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Brooksy Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 pm

I came on to read the review about my band Reel Big Moose, i didn't know about the forum before and I'm a big ska and punk fan so yeh i signed up. SORRY if that's a problem!
    I'm not even going to engage in an argument, everyones entitled to there opinion, i certainly have mine but like NotRich i agree with not trash talking bands on the internet. We're all trying to get on with it and shit like that doesn't help.
    And cap'n lee.. im a drummer to haha! Wink
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:36 pm

Brooksy wrote:And cap'n lee.. im a drummer to haha! Wink

i'm sorry to hear that, good luck combating your terrible affliction Smile
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:54 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:Another point is how it looks on you and your band, I never take it seriously when people slag off other bands they've played with, it comes across as arrogant and petty.

to clarify:
    The opinions expressed are those of Dave's and do not necessarily reflect the positions of Comply or Die.

im waiting for you to change your name to Cap'n Lee or Dave. you know its going to hapen
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:56 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:It's not often Ricky H is right, but when he's right, he's fucking right.

You're not wrong. He is the wisest of the wise, like this guy:

Sonic Boom 6, The Maze, Nottingham (29.05.09) Gandalf

He looks pretty wise. He also looks a bit like the Lincolns from the Gay Bar video.
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Lee just wishes he could play drums.

And Rick as pretty spot on. We're all in this together etc. Don't you see? The war is OUT THERE man, OUT THERE!
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:47 pm

it wont let me delete this didnt mean to double post weirdness

Last edited by Reel Big Moose on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:48 pm

im sorry but i disagree, i didnt accuse them of stealing anything or molesting children or anything beyond what happend the time I played with them. And If I cant offer my opinions on a band on a music discussion bored then where can I? Like I said before i do generally stear clear of saying anything bad about bands i have played with, I think this is about the 3rd time, certainly only the 3rd i can recall in over 10 years of playing in bands, and both the other two bands were bigger bands who frankly wouldnt give to shits what i said about em cos they have more fans and money than i probably ever will.

at the end of the day this is a discusion board and i offered my opinions and experience up.

"I really dont like girlfixer. average band, below-average people. Least tahts the impression I got after playing with em.

enough about my personal distain"

note nothing personal about anybody, nothing slanderous about anything , just my own opinion even with the added emphasis at the end on 'own personal'

on an unrelated note, lee wishes he could play bass! (so do I actually)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:10 pm