Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
sian
scottus86
Parg
invertedtwisted
Uncle J
lightowler
Summers
MangoSkeejykins
12 posters

looking for a dirt cheap sax (probably tenor)

MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

looking for a dirt cheap sax (probably tenor) Empty looking for a dirt cheap sax (probably tenor)

Post by MangoSkeejykins Tue May 19, 2009 11:56 pm

i want to teach myself sax for the sake of ska (when i play one step beond on tbone it doesn't sound right!)

i think i'm looking for a tenor but i'm new in this area and i really just need whatever is easiest to learn on and cheap as possible, i don't mind if it looks battered as long as it still plays ok

Thanks,
    Skeej
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

looking for a dirt cheap sax (probably tenor) Empty Re: looking for a dirt cheap sax (probably tenor)

Post by Summers Wed May 20, 2009 12:12 am

I think alto is easier to learn, but tenor sounds so much better. Good luck finding a dirt cheap one though!
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

looking for a dirt cheap sax (probably tenor) Empty Re: looking for a dirt cheap sax (probably tenor)

Post by MangoSkeejykins Wed May 20, 2009 12:26 am

well, i mean dirt cheap relative to normal prices, the sax guy in my class at college has 17k worth of saxs! and he only has about 3 or 4 Shocked

alto will do as well then, i'd rather be able to play before spending money on a better sounding piece of kit
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Wed May 20, 2009 12:29 am

read as looking for dirt cheap sex (preferably a £10)
    left disappointed
    Uncle J
    Uncle J
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Uncle J Wed May 20, 2009 12:32 am

lightowler wrote:read as looking for dirt cheep sex (preferably a £10)
    left disapointed

Visit York Road in Southend. You may get the AIDS though.
    invertedtwisted
    invertedtwisted
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by invertedtwisted Wed May 20, 2009 12:39 am

Is an alto low enough to play one step beyond?
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Wed May 20, 2009 12:57 am

Not in the right octave. On tenor it starts on a D and that's an A on the alto I think.
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 am

I got an alright one on gear for music, it wasn't to expensive and i got a teach yourself DVD, which got me as far as mary had a little lamb, and that was about it! useless dvd!
    sian
    sian
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by sian Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

I've got a yamaha (YAS-23) alto sax i want to sell if you decide you fancy alto.

looking for a dirt cheap sax (probably tenor) Sian_c13

I'm just selling it cos i play too many instruments, & i usually play tenor if i go for sax (also my housemate has an alto, so can always scrounge) ...basically need the money more!

The girl i bought it off was an old friend, and she did grade 8 on it. It plays fine - is covered in fine scratches, but no dints.

Selling it for £350 (what i payed 3 years ago) if you're interested.. from brief googling they seem to go for $1400 - $1700 new.. whatever that is in pounds!
    tyrannosaurusben
    tyrannosaurusben
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by tyrannosaurusben Thu May 21, 2009 1:21 am

our sax player might be selling an alto. can ask him if you want? He stole it so could probably sell it to you dirt cheap.
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Thu May 21, 2009 1:53 am

haha!

SKA MUTINY DOES NOT ENDORSE THE SALE OF STOLEN GOODS
    tyrannosaurusben
    tyrannosaurusben
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by tyrannosaurusben Thu May 21, 2009 3:45 am

ahh yea. best say its not stolen. you know. cant be too careful. but yea, drop us a message, i'll find out from him tomorrow probably.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Thu May 21, 2009 10:21 am

hey sian, really nice lookin sax but i can't really afford 350 right now ( =[ )

how much would your sax player sell his for tyrannosaurasben?

thanks

edit: didn't see you'd sent me a message, nice one, let's hope for a wee loan off the parents Very Happy

does anyone know a good way to teach oneself wihout a teacher? i have a few saxy friends that could help me at my youth band but that'll be more just helping me learn where all the notes are
    Francis
    Francis
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Francis Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:49 am

yeah, if you're wanting to play one step beyond properly you'll need a tenor, but y'know.

alto and tenor aren't any difference in difficulty.

don't bother buying a really cheap sax, in my opinion.
    you won't find one for less than £200, and if you do, it'll probably cost you more in repairs than if you'd bought a more reputable make.

my tenor cost about £300ish, and has had fuck loads of repairs on it.
    johnny fucking roadhouse
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:48 am

Francis wrote:yeah, if you're wanting to play one step beyond

and lets be honest here, who doesnt

edit: due to my fail typing hurting my eyes

Last edited by lightowler on Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:53 am

lightowler wrote:
    Francis wrote:yeah, if you're wanting to play one step beyond

and lest be honest here, who doesnt
    it just doesnt sound right on trombone =[
    SkankinDragon
    SkankinDragon
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by SkankinDragon Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:34 am

You should start on alto and work up to a tenor, that's what i did. i never had a lesson i taught myself, dont read music either i play completely by ear, dont buy a second hand sax, not worth the trouble trust me, your best bet is to buy a cheaper make, my alto and tenor are both j michael, its the player that makes the instrument full stop, you can pick up new alto's cheaply they just wont be a good make.... also make sure you buy the sax in the right key, take someone who knows with you to buy one.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:42 am

thanks skankin dragon but i did the opposite just a few days ago Laughing i look silly with an alto anyway and it feels weird cus i'm used to big instruments (tbone, bass, drums) so tenor feels a bit more comfortable

i got a second hand boosey and hawkes tenor off ebay for 158quid, not getting lessons but getting other saxy friends to give me a kick start. it was picked out for me by someone who knows sax's really well so i'm hoping it's a good choice

how did you start off teaching yourself?
    SkankinDragon
    SkankinDragon
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by SkankinDragon Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:58 am

when i first got my sax the two songs i wanted to play were they left today by lightyear and cousin cleotis by capdown i figured when i learned those songs i would be good, it only took a month to learn those songs, after a few months i could play everything by capdown and came to realize that jake wasn't as good a saxophonist as i had previously thought....after that i got really into david hillyard and tried to emulate his style i have also gained a healthy interest in jazz especially john coltrane
    learning was hard at first but it got easy quickly, once you get into the fact that basically your dealing with six buttons and once you can run scales fast....your set, right now your breath is letting you down, gotta try and hold a note for as long as you can over and over again each and every day. its like othello a minute to learn a lifetime to master....im still learning and its been 4-5 years
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:05 am

i'd love to be able to play ska wars xD, i'll try both the songs you did and hope i'm magically good. also gunna try one step beyond cus apparently it isn't actually very hard but it sounds mint.

breath shouldn't be much of a problem as i can play really long notes on trombone so i'll have enough breath, it's just making sure i get the embouchure (sp?) right

how long do reeds generally last? being a skint music student i don't want to spend all my money on new reeds, they're prety expensive for someone with no money!

edit: i clicked the thanks thing cus you've been helpful, enoy your three cool points haha

Last edited by MangoSkeejykins on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    SkankinDragon
    SkankinDragon
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by SkankinDragon Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:23 am

never buy reads in a music shop, thats rule one they are much cheaper online
    always buy rico reeds
    you could start on a no2 if you can blow a bone
    it depends, if you wet the reeds for a long time before playing or you leave the sax out of the case allot so the reed is getting dried in the sun it wont last long, if it looks warped change your reed, when they warp they are useless whereas if you have a crack or small chip you can still kinda play it for a little while
    i prefer to fit the reeds dry, i just lick the back so they stick to the mouthpiece while i fit on the ligerture

don't get me wrong dude i was really crap for the first two weeks i was just playing 4 notes cuzz i couldn't figure out how to play the bottom ones, first song i learned was give me tomorrow by long broken up long forgotten scottish skacore band ex-cathedra, its only 3 notes haha

oh yeah here's a tip, you need to growl to make one step beyond not sound like shit, growling the first note is really hard so play it clean and growl from the second note
    and in case ya dont know to growl you just make a sound as you blow
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:24 am

awesome, thanks =] yeah i heard rico are good so i'll try those out

i transposed one step beyond cus i found the music somewhere and played on tbone for a giggle, i nearly cried it sounded so wrong so i'll do my best when i try it out on sax Smile

i'll enjoy the initial rubbishness as it will be revenge on my neighbours Twisted Evil
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:46 am

My reeds generally last quite long. It's not in the sun but it's out of the case. It might be the plasticover thing though.

I also add my support for rico reeds and endorse neotech slings.
    SkankinDragon
    SkankinDragon
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by SkankinDragon Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:57 am

Parg wrote:My reeds generally last quite long. It's not in the sun but it's out of the case. It might be the plasticover thing though.

I also add my support for rico reeds and endorse neotech slings.

my green neotech sling is awesome
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 pm

got my sax today and it has a neotech sling which is actually really comfortable =] about 5 rico royal 1.5 reeds which i'm quite happy about as the discription on ebay didn't say it came with any and you guys bigged up the sling and the reeds =]. everything seems to work, i'm just so embarassed to play it cus obviously i don't know how to play and my whole family's in and it's impressively loud!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 am