Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
veganfishcake
Al
Summers
7 posters

Captain Black No Stars / Rasta4eyes - Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust

Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Captain Black No Stars / Rasta4eyes - Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust Empty Captain Black No Stars / Rasta4eyes - Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust

Post by Summers Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Captain Black No Stars / Rasta4eyes - Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust Boss-sounds-of-boom-and-bust-300x298
    Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust
    Captain Black No Stars + Rasta4eyes
    Do The Dog Records, 2009

Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust, the title of this 8 track split ep, is enough to give me reservations about it's musical content. You see, i'm middle class. Very middle class. So i'm at an immediate disadvantage having never once signed on (the middle class equivalent being 'Applying For University'.) So whilst some of the lyrical themes presented within this dual reggae/punk attack may pass me by, i'd like to think i know how to appreciate a good tune.

The first half of the split is occupied by the strangely titled Captain Black No Stars, who play a sort of laid back reggae, layered with sparkling keyboards and topped off with slightly strange half spoken/half sang vocals. These 4 songs give me the impression of a young band trying to find their feet, it's all a bit slack and the vocals really lack any sort of passion or immediacy. The tunes themselves are fairly repetitive and personally, it really doesn't do a lot for me. There's good vibes within and a real sense that the band are having fun doing with what they're doing, but nothing really that would hook you in for repeat listens. The dub outro track is a nice touch with a lovely bit of trombone, but it's certainly nothing you haven't heard before.

This takes us to the second half, in which Rasta4eyes have set up shop. And by set up shop, i mean they've squatted here, with acoustic guitars, a bag of weed and a few bottles of buckfast. They sing songs about not having money and about weed (maybe there's a correlation to be drawn there, guys) and it's really rather good. The melodies are brilliant, the brass complimentary without being intrusive, and the energy manages to keep up throughout the 4 tunes with enough in the way of hooks and interesting ideas to persuade you to give it multiple spins. The songs are concisely written, with big choruses (The Herb being a definite highlight) and whilst it's still early days for them, this 4 song taster is a promising sign of things to come.

Ska Mutiny Rating 3/5

Summers
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Captain Black No Stars / Rasta4eyes - Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust Empty Re: Captain Black No Stars / Rasta4eyes - Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust

Post by Al Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:08 pm

Interesting. I preferred the Captain Black No Stars side of this split. Happily enjoyed both bands though.

My review lies here.
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Captain Black No Stars / Rasta4eyes - Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust Empty Re: Captain Black No Stars / Rasta4eyes - Boss Sounds of the Boom and Bust

Post by Summers Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:55 pm

It just really didn't sit with me, really had trouble getting past the vocals. Really did enjoy the r4e tunes though!
    veganfishcake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by veganfishcake Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:14 pm

I still need this CD!
    the dogster
    the dogster
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by the dogster Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks for the review Summers, much appreciated!

The Boss Sounds Of The Boom & Bust Cd was DTD's first attempt at a split release & it is interesting to see how people react to it. I've had quite a few reviews in now, some have favoured CBNS & some have favoured R4E, while others have liked both. So far no-one has dislked both bands! Very Happy

I suppose it just comes down to personal taste, whatever floats your ska boat so to speak.

There's another cool review of the CD here:

http://www.dancingmood.net/musicaloccupation/2009/07/review-boss-sounds-of-the-boom-bust-split-ep/
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:35 pm

haha I wasn't excpecting to see saxboi then.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:58 am

ive not heard either on cd but we palyed with r4e in bolton n they were really good musicians and good people, perhaps a little static on stage but it wasn exactly the most accomodating stage ever tbh n they played well.
    SBWNik
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by SBWNik Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Got to say that while I enjoyed both bands on this release, they were a long way from being in my DJ box, and are staying out of it. Pleasant reggae with something to say, R4E perhaps being lyrically better, but not dancefloor material to me.

3/5 with potential on both sides.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:46 pm