Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
lightowler
Al
6 posters

TMCSS #003: Capdown "Civil Disobedients"

Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

TMCSS #003: Capdown "Civil Disobedients" Empty TMCSS #003: Capdown "Civil Disobedients"

Post by Al Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 am

The Mutiny Classic Ska Series
    Mission statement: a less than in-depth study into some of the most influential records that have shaped ska music since the fifties, from the original island sounds of Jamaica through the two-tone era all the way to the third wave and today’s contemporary offerings. Or some albums that we think are shit hot!

TMCSS #003: Capdown "Civil Disobedients" Capdow10
    Civil Disobedients
    Capdown
    (Household Name of London Records, 2000)

Although not strictly a ska record per se, it’s impossible to underplay the importance of Civil Disobedients and the seven years of Capdown that followed. As a band the Milton Keynes outfit played the role of spearhead, a bastion within the UK underground scene that would influence a world of new acts. The premier example of mash it up/smash it up mentality that took third-wave ska and made it oh so vital. As an album Civil Disobedients flooded the upstroke/downstroke jolliness of the ‘wacky’ era with a beating heart of furious punk rock, booming dub, a politically charged conscience of social awareness and just about anything else the band damn well wanted. Wicked.

Opening with the double-header of ‘Unite to Progress’ and ‘Kained But Abel’, Civil Disobedients is set-up like a full-on gnarly punk-rock upstart, vicious and piercing. It’s track three, ‘Ska Wars’ where the ‘down finally break out the sax and bring in a ska number, and what a number. Just how long did Mike Davies use this as a bed on his radio show? Jovial enough to warrant a good ol’ skank-along but lyrically educated at the same time; a proper kick in the nads to those chef trouser wearing bands of the time.

‘Positivity’ and ‘Cousin Cleotis’ followed cue, the former kicking off with a menacing guitar riff before breaking into a massive ska chorus, whilst the latter is pretty much best described as a super ska jaunt (pick-it-ups included) that urges the listener to not “just sit around on your arse dreaming of a better day”. Positivity indeed, not to mention a fat wedge of pro-activism. Delve into the scene now and look at the sheer number of bands that preach this same thing.

If you’re looking for the records diversity, look no further than ‘Dub No. 1’, a, you guessed it, dub number that demonstrates the bands multi-faceted approach. Listen to this and then to Suicide Bid. Notice the resemblance? ‘The Neverlution’ pretty much returns to the punk-rock blueprint, although this time around there’s a smidgen of brass and a hint of rapping. Well, nu-metal was at the forefront of everybody’s mind.

With a touch of everything it’s been argued for years now that in the years to follow Capdown never reached the heady heights of Civil Disobedients. Fair? On recorded output, yes. In the live setting, no. Anytime the band performed live you knew you were in for a good time, and each show seemed bigger than the last. Towards the end it appeared the band had reached the scene’s glass ceiling (since smashed through by The King Blues). Perhaps the delay between album two and three derailed the momentum. Regardless, Civil Disobedients is an absolute monster, a standard to be held aloft proudly.

Few bands managed to combine the brash uniqueness and the influence of Capdown and fewer bands will be missed more. There was a solemnity to the loss of the band’s brothers-in-arms, King Prawn (Mutiny Classic #004, anyone?) that forebode the disappointment of the break-up that would be in 2007. Regardless of any reunions (inevitable, perhaps?), the bands debut lives on and will be drawn from for years to come.

SkaMutiny Rating: 5/5

Al
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

TMCSS #003: Capdown "Civil Disobedients" Empty Re: TMCSS #003: Capdown "Civil Disobedients"

Post by lightowler Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:14 am

loved that album back in the day, cracking review again going to have to dig it out and give it a listen tongiht
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

TMCSS #003: Capdown "Civil Disobedients" Empty Re: TMCSS #003: Capdown "Civil Disobedients"

Post by NotRich Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:35 am

Capdown were never massive to me.

I find it difficult to listen to this album from start to finish, and actually prefer Pound For The Sound as a whole.

I've never really been sure why I haven't had too much of a love for Capdown.
    I agree that you can't really deny the significance of them in "the scene" in terms of the amount of acts that they've influenced, but they're a little over played and I feel really started to wear towards the end.

As suggested by Al, King Prawn should get a mention next, but perhaps i'd have preferred to have seen King Prawn get a mention first. It feels as though their mention is often sidelined to put in a nod towards Capdown, when KP were arguably a bit more innovative with their sound.

Look forward to the next one though Al, these ones are great reading!
    therur
    therur
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by therur Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Great review, this is easily one of my favourite albums ever with cousin cleotis being my favourite track on the album.

ive hated myself for not seeing them live
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 pm

King prawn were not only more inovative they wrote catchier and more consistent songs.

I also reckon pouind for the sound was a much better album, the only capdown album I ever bother listening to tbh. Never thought they were that special.
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Post by Al Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:25 am

I'm impressed and intrigued by the love for King Prawn. I've got to say I agree: I prefer KP over Capdown (although I feel 'Civil Disobedients' did far more for the genre). It's rare for people to say they prefer KP, though.

Definitely some food for thought there with regards to the next Classic review.

Remember, people. Suggestions, or contributions, much appreciated to keep the series going.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm

i think that by the end they pretymuch sucked live and their last album wasnt anything to be proud of might have jaded peoples views of capdown, but I must admit kingprawn Waaay better than capdown, I still listen to kp alot and havnt listend to capdown since their last gig in leeds
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:03 am

Their last album was still good, and last time I saw them they were excellent.

It's very easy to slate Capdown for lots of things without really respecting what they actually did, kinda like a lot of younger kids do with Nirvana nowadays - think how many bands we have now that we essentially owe to Capdown inspiring kids to play ska punk stuff. When they appeared, it was something new and it was something innovative, and was part of revitalising the scene. Note 'part of', there were as many bands around then doing their own bit, but Capdown seemed to be holding the torch, and with that comes a lot of expectation from fans.

King Prawn were in on the innovation as well of course, but I think they peaked at Surrender to the Blender. There's a classic to get reviewed!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:56 pm