Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Cap'n Lee
therur
Parg
brucestorm
Al
Andy DTA
10 posters

Kickback UK "Perservering With Positivity"

Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Kickback UK "Perservering With Positivity" Empty Kickback UK "Perservering With Positivity"

Post by Andy DTA Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:06 pm

Kickback UK "Perservering With Positivity" 300

Perservering With Positivity
    Kickback UK

A haunting choir followed by a snippet of social commentary kick off this debut mini-album release from Kickback UK, another inspired British ska-punk act hailing from Manchester. Put simply, it’s a winner from the start. “We Are Never Going Back To Montrose” gives us a fast-paced dose of trumpet fuelled aggression to whet our ears’ appetite with, followed by a similarly aggressive start to “All The Wrong Reasons” with just as raw and powerful a sound. The chorus, short and simple though it is, is definitely one that sticks in your head, as it did for me for most of the day the first day I heard it (thanks boys...).

The album, long delayed and shunted to the side by the bands previous other commitments and line-up changes, represents a fresh beginning for Kickback UK (formerly known simply as Kickback, until they realised some damn continentals had the name first) – while the band members are not all solely involved in this band, it has moved from being a side-project for all to having a new lease of life. In addition, with the use of studio facilities for free and a music tech background for several of the band, they were really able to take their time over the CD and get it to sound just how they wanted.

There’s clearly a wide range of influences at work on the band as you can hear from the variety of sounds they have assembled for our enjoyment. This must be due in part to all the other bands that the members have been involved in - Chief, Catch-it Kebabs, The Fractions and Stand-Out Riot to name a few. “Breaking and Entering” is definitely one to get your toes moving to at first, although being the considerate band they are it does slow down a bit later on to let you catch your breath. It is also one of the many tracks on this release with a sample quote dropped in from the world of television, in this case everyone’s favourite member of the A-team who needs no introduction. “Reality Check” flicks between a fast-paced ska chorus and a more serious punk verse, while “Foundations” seems to put the ska on the back burner for more of the track than the others – although it’s still very danceable! “Risk It For A Biscuit” closes the mini-album off with a song title that ever since hearing I’ve ended up dropping into conversation a lot more than is probably good for me, whilst the track itself appears to be an effort to show the listener just how much more the band can do with their instruments over and above that which an ordinary run-of-the-mill ska band could achieve.

Kickback UK are clearly ready to become members of that elite club of bands you always look out for on tour. Although it’s only a half hour in length, this album WILL brighten up your day. Consider it heartily recommended.

SkaMutiny Rating: 4/5

Andy
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Kickback UK "Perservering With Positivity" Empty Re: Kickback UK "Perservering With Positivity"

Post by Al Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Andy DTA wrote:everyone’s favourite member of the A-team who needs no introduction.

Wrong. Everybody's favourite member of The A-Team is H.M. Murdoch. Fact!!!

I really like this record. Immediate and catchy as fuck. I wrote some words about it here.
    brucestorm
    brucestorm
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Kickback UK "Perservering With Positivity" Empty Re: Kickback UK "Perservering With Positivity"

Post by brucestorm Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Al wrote:
    I really like this record. Immediate and catchy as fuck.
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:04 am

I totally need to buy this CD.
    therur
    therur
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by therur Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:22 am

as soon as i get payed im buying this
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:28 am

I hate that Al's reviews are always better than mine. The git. lol. But yes. Go buy it people
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 am

despite al being better, this is still a damn fine review.

although i'm going to start claiming that summers altered the review to raise the rating and remove the words "wacky", "irritating" and "rather jam forks into my ears" starting...... NOW!
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:59 am

even though i disagree , lee still gets repped for that lol.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

my copy of this album is safly tucked away from lee and t-lights

saying that i havnt actualy listend to it. Il try when i get home
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 pm

Cheers to everyone for the kind words (especially Andy!). We're really, really pleased with the cd Smile Tour was all kinds of mint, and hopefully we can get around the country a bit more so you peeps can check us out in the fleshy flesh.
    brucestorm
    brucestorm
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by brucestorm Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:39 pm

"My aunt live is Scotland, she says its quite nice, shes wrong" Sad
    veganfishcake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by veganfishcake Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:18 am

The current line-up is the best they've ever had. Seeing them at Satans Hollow supporting Rentokill blew me away. Seriously good band.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:30 pm