Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
angie_c
The Amazing Fletch
Reel Big Moose
Summers
8 posters

Booking smaller ska/punk bands...

Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Booking smaller ska/punk bands... Empty Booking smaller ska/punk bands...

Post by Summers Thu May 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Ok, so obviously inspired by the discussion in the AWAS tour thread, i'd just like to know what everyones thoughts on this are?

Being able to look at it from both sides as a former promoter and someone booking for small bands, it's a real head scratcher. One the one hand, there are a lot of bands who are willing to get out there and tour, playing for whatever they can get, yet it seems there's a real reluctance from promoters to deal with these bands, preferring to fill bills with local bands/more established bands.

One the one hand it really sucks for the smaller bands, as it makes it much more difficult to become established and be able to attract crowds in different parts of the country, but then again you have to see that smaller promoters really don't have the capital to risk on bands that even though they like, they know won't draw a crowd.

It all reminds me of job hunting, not being able to get a particular job because you lack the experience, but not being able to get the experience as you can't get a job.

So, yeah. I know it's been discussed already, but i think it is something that's pretty important in this current economical climate, as well as the shrinking status of the UK ska/punk scene.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Booking smaller ska/punk bands... Empty Re: Booking smaller ska/punk bands...

Post by Reel Big Moose Thu May 28, 2009 9:38 pm

it is a real circle of shit, It can be frustrating for bands, but at the same time it must be annoying for promoters i guess. but the amount of good gigs we have got from small promoters makes me think its just a question of knowing ur local situation and gearing to it. not every town has enough like minded people to make it viable I suppose though. I dont think there can be a right or wrong answer.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Fri May 29, 2009 1:39 am

There is definitely a 'local band syndrome' in a lot of places. I've had gigs where everyone goes home after they've seen their favourite local band and hardly anyone stays for the tourer. I know I should put them on earlier but if they have a decent record label and they turn up late themselves what am I supposed to do?
    angie_c
    angie_c
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by angie_c Fri May 29, 2009 8:45 am

The Amazing Fletch wrote:There is definitely a 'local band syndrome' in a lot of places. I've had gigs where everyone goes home after they've seen their favourite local band and hardly anyone stays for the tourer.
    Is this what Andrew Culture refers to as "the first band fall-out". I read it in an article he wrote in Beat Motel and it is so true. Surely though, as long as putting on the local band allows you to put on the touring band because it pull enough people through the door to make it viable it's worth it for those who do want to hear something new and if the band manages to make it to the venue for an earlyenough soundcheck they could even go on stage before the local band?
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Fri May 29, 2009 1:09 pm

my band's in this situation right now and it's so irritating. a few promoters have seen us and like us and know we're good but there are bigger bands in our area that they can fill a bill with groups that will bring more people, whether they're better or not. cus of this we don't always get to play to decent crowds (especially since some bands only tell their fans to arrive when their set starts and leave after) so it's really hard to make new fans

if anyone has tips on how to ge more people to our local gigs that'd be great, right now it's mostly just bugging people over msn and trying to convince people to bring people =/
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Fri May 29, 2009 2:41 pm

That can also be hard the other way round. If there aren't enough local bands to fill a gig, or they don't pull the crowds, you don't make your money back.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri May 29, 2009 4:30 pm

I guess you just keep on keeping on, put the ahrd work in and hope to catch a break.
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Fri May 29, 2009 8:03 pm

angie_c wrote:
    The Amazing Fletch wrote:There is definitely a 'local band syndrome' in a lot of places. I've had gigs where everyone goes home after they've seen their favourite local band and hardly anyone stays for the tourer.
    Is this what Andrew Culture refers to as "the first band fall-out". I read it in an article he wrote in Beat Motel and it is so true. Surely though, as long as putting on the local band allows you to put on the touring band because it pull enough people through the door to make it viable it's worth it for those who do want to hear something new and if the band manages to make it to the venue for an earlyenough soundcheck they could even go on stage before the local band?

What would be the point in being the Headliner then? I don't like that idea.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri May 29, 2009 8:06 pm

they wouldn't be the headliner, the biggest draw would be the headliner, thats why you put the biggest draw on last
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri May 29, 2009 8:12 pm

does make much sense Smile def best to be supporting a big local band than headlinging to nobody
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Fri May 29, 2009 8:44 pm

As this happened when i went to see catch 22, would you suggest the terrible local band that supported them, but have lots of friends in college that watch them should headline over catch 22, that would be rubbish, and i would deffinatley make me wonder what the promoter was thinking.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri May 29, 2009 8:50 pm

he was thinking catch 22 deserved to have as many people as possible see them and not watch a terrible local band hog all the atention
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Fri May 29, 2009 8:56 pm

But they wouldn't watch them, they'd just sit in the bar making annoying screaching noise n complain why their friends aren't on yet.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Fri May 29, 2009 8:59 pm

or aybe theyd think wow these guys are good. ;east if they are there the band ahs a chance to win them over
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Fri May 29, 2009 9:35 pm

Back in Luton we used to put on a kid's band with some regularity. They were called Fist Fights and Brake Lights and were, to put it politely, awful. However, they had a positive legion of fans - they could easily bring 100+ friends to a gig, usually more. Where we could, we liked to have them opening up - this means that everyone comes down early, and hopefully stayed on till the end. Sometimes though we had to put them later on the bill, if the headliner wasn't as popular a name. Sometimes we even had them headline, while we died a little inside. But as mentioned above, a headline band would 9 times out of 10 rather play as main support to a big crowd then headline to 15 people. Its just the way it goes, 14-18year olds are much more fickle in their tastes of music. However, they can also become big fans of a band after just one performance. Its the way the cookie crumbles.

I wish I hadn't mentioned food, now I'm hungry. Got to eat before SB6/RH tonight Smile woop

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:41 pm