Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Steff
Cap'n Lee
The Amazing Fletch
7 posters

Tipping

The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Tipping Empty Tipping

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 pm

I've been a bit miffed by tipping culture recently. I ate in a restaurant with my wife and her family last week. I said I'd take care of the tip. I put a fiver on the table while I searched for more money and my sister-in-law said, "that'll do". I thought a fiver was a bit measly so I added another fiver on. It turned out the bill came to £170! In what situation would five pounds be a good enough tip for $170? Both the food and the service was excellent. If I'd known how much the bill came to I would have put in another tenner.

I've noticed a lot recently that people I eat with don't tip. I think that's pretty insulting. I'm not a mad 20% tipper but try to leave at least 10%.

tl;dr? How much is an acceptable tip in a restaurant?
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Tipping Empty Re: Tipping

Post by Cap'n Lee Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:43 pm

the whole tipping thing is a bit of an error in translation, as far as i'm concerned.
    to put a bit of context into the reservoir dogs scene, a lot of waitresses in the US are on little more than $2 an hour; in the UK waitresses are typically on 3 times that.

In the US, nothing is going to change as long as businesses can rely on the clients paying their employees wages for them, so the best thing you could do long term is not tip.

Every other good argument is used by Mr. Pink and I don't fancy parroting it.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:48 pm

What annoys me is when restaurants add the service charge on to the bill for you. I tip according to service. If the service is terrible I won't tip, if the service is great I tip more. Compulsory service charge doesn't allow me to do that.
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:06 am

I used to be a waiter. They pay was crap without tips, but only very very marginally better with tips. In the place I worked they tips would all go in one pot and then shared out between the waiters, kitchen staff and bar staff and I think the rich bosses took a cheeky share too. It was £17 a shift, then between £1 and £4 in tips usually.

People who can afford to should tip if the service was anything other than terrible.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 am

I don't like the thought of my tip going to everyone else as well as the person who served me. Say you're an excellent waiter and you oppo is dogshit, why should he get your tips?
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:15 am

I worked part time as a waitress for four years, tips are everything. The cafe I worked in had a really nice system, it was owned by an oldish couple and the wife was the cook while the husband worked out front. They'd always have two girls working (yup, they didn't employ boys!), one waitress and one kitchen person, the tips would go into a jar and at the end of your shift it was divided between the two of us and not the owners, which I thought was pretty good. I know a few places divide after a week or something, but I think that's pretty unfair because a lot of people tip because of an individual person. I used to do really well sometimes, few times my tips were better than may wages...

I think 10% is a good starting point, but if its bad service then you shouldn't feel like you have to tip and of course if you think the meal was awesome, then tip away!

And yeah, service charge is pants.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:08 am

if you stick your leg out when some ones runing they tip real fast
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:31 pm

The Amazing Fletch wrote:I don't like the thought of my tip going to everyone else as well as the person who served me. Say you're an excellent waiter and you oppo is dogshit, why should he get your tips?

Exactly! It really takes away the financial incentive to be good. The theory behind it was so that the kitchen staff didn't get paid less than the waiters but it was just a bit crap because (other than 1 guy who never did waitering) everyone used to rotate shifts between waitering and kitchen anyway. (Except the chefs obviously, they got paid more though I guess.)
    Peeky
    Peeky
    The Mysterious Benefactor
    The Mysterious Benefactor

Post by Peeky Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 pm

I do it all the time-I left a sofa on some railway tracks yesterday. I love it!
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:34 am

I love you peeky
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:54 am

I LOVE PEEKY MORE< HES NOT WORHT THE TEARS IM CRYING
    PaperSage
    PaperSage
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by PaperSage Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:30 pm

I usually dont tip at restaurants, i dont eat in them very much.

Once I left 40 Euros on the pub table. I didnt even buy a drink in that pub. Who said being drunk makes you an asshole.

Otherwise, if it counts, at free gigs, i pretty much just empty my pockets

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 am