Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Jimmy The Squirrel "S/T"

Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Jimmy The Squirrel "S/T" Empty Jimmy The Squirrel "S/T"

Post by Al Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:32 am

Jimmy The Squirrel "S/T" Jimmy_10
    S/T
    Jimmy The Squirrel
    (Do The Dog, 2008)

Jimmy The Squirrel is one of those bands that deserve much more coverage than they tend to receive. In short, this self-titled E.P. is one of the gleaming gems of the UK ska scene. The reason is simple: the type of ska on offer here doesn’t get played around these parts all the much anymore. This isn’t punk with a brass section haphazardly thrown in; these are rich reggae tones lavishly assembled together under an organ-driven spearhead.

Opener, ‘This One’s For You’, opens up reminiscent of solo material from The Slackers’ frontman, Vic Ruggiero. It’s a carnivalesque carousel of organs and guitars that have dancing shoes written all over it. Our first introduction to the unique vocals of singer, Liam O’Kane, is an intriguing one. Unique is definitely the word. O’Kane’s almost mumbled sounding vocal should be annoying, but coupled with the music on offer here, it works very nicely.

‘Music We Throw’ is the E.P. stand-out. Lyrically it’s an ode to playing music you love without the hyperbole of getting your song sanctioned for a mobile ringtone or bothering the charts. It’s the best example of that lush organ sound, coupled with delicious guitar strokes. If you’re looking for comparisons , Pama International would be a good place to start, although this comes across as more smile-on-the-face jaunty.

Listening to ‘Two Too Many’, you kind of expect it to break into ‘Hotel California’ at some point (that’s a good thing, honest). Closer, ‘Seat Up High’, has a little flamenco feel to it, with the strumming of an acoustic guitar, whilst also suggesting at some kind of vast, sprawling, high plains sound. It’s musicianship that’s on show here, and what musicianship.

According to Do the Dog records, Jimmy The Squirrel’s debut full length (entitled, Business As Usual) is due to drop imminently. For now, checking out this E.P. comes highly recommended. Accomplished and rich, this release is more than enough to get the taste buds tingling.

SkaMutiny Rating: 4/5

Al
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Jimmy The Squirrel "S/T" Empty Re: Jimmy The Squirrel "S/T"

Post by Andy DTA Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Not heard the EP yet but as you've all probably seen from the many, many reviews of mine Jimmy the Squirrel have featured in, I consider them top stuff. A hearty endorsement from me also.
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Post by Al Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Shocked How have you never heard the E.P.? You're always banging on about them.
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:17 pm

They've never had any with them when I've seen them! Seriously, every time... Lol. And internet ordering is too much like hard work.
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Post by Al Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Look at you and your lazy philosophies on intermaweb purchasing. Slacker!
    RikkSTY
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by RikkSTY Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:41 pm

I picked this up a fair while ago, gave it a few listens, which were nice but didn't particularly stick with me. I'll definitely try it again after reading this review though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 pm