Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
MidlandsDan
Al
6 posters

Dirty Revolution "It's Gonna Get Dirty"

Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Dirty Revolution "It's Gonna Get Dirty" Empty Dirty Revolution "It's Gonna Get Dirty"

Post by Al Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:43 am

Dirty Revolution "It's Gonna Get Dirty" Dirty_10
    It's Gonna Get Dirty
    Dirty Revolution
    (Do The Dog Records, 2008)

There’s something roguishly lovable about the way Cardiff, sorry, Skadiff quartet Dirty Revolution goes about rabble-rousing. It’s Gonna Get Dirty is in essence a protest record, but nowhere in sight is the spiteful manner and viciousness that others make a habit of applying. Instead, there’s a quaintness and joviality that makes you want to actually hear what the band has to say.

What the band has to say tends to revolve around social, political and entertainment (yes, entertainment) equality. “I Love Reggae” (a regular on the Radio 1 Punk Show for what seems like forever*) focuses on racism, using music as a microcosm of the world; a Nazi-punk lover is disgusted by a reggae fan. What a guy! The song itself is a real upbeat number, managing to merge leg-flailing ska and rocksteady coolness.

“Police” is a much more reserved affair, melodica infused and guitar driven at a deliberate pace that has more of a punk edge. Concerned with the state of youth-crime and the ‘constant’ terror threat, the song questions: “where are the police?”. It might not be the most original of content but it’s a message worth putting across. “50p”, however, is a bit more original. Basically it’s a jibe at the music industry wrapped up sneakily in a series of schoolyard digs. It’s physically impossible to listen to this song and not smile. Fact. Note to all the ‘comedy’ bands out there (you know who you are), this is a funny song that’s interesting on more than one level; give it a try!

“Dirty Revolution” is a jaunt of an opener, hitting you with big basslines and a big sound. “Failure To Communicate” isn’t quite as heavy but it’s a real ska-soaked number. Upstrokes and melodica ahoy. In Reb Sutton the band has a real distinctive voice that’s quaint, calm and yet bubbling under the surface with spikiness. It’s on this track though that guitarist Stu White takes up vocal duties, throwing another dynamic out there. It’s soulful by way of a bunged-up nose (which probably makes no sense) and it’s a decent direction for the band to hit-up in the future.

Dirty Revolution is one of those bands that haven’t yet slipped through into the limelight of the underground, but deserve to. At the end of October Dirty Revolution head out on the road with The JB Conspiracy and Los Kung Fu Monkeys, a tour that will hopefully raise the band’s profile and spearhead the movement towards a new release which, preferably, will be a full-lengther. In the meantime, enjoy It’s Gonna Get Dirty, an ear-catching gem of a release. It’s gonna get dirty indeed

SkaMutiny rating: 3.5/5

Al

*SkaMutiny is well aware of the fact that this little E.P. has been out for more than 18 months, but whoever said only ‘new’ material can be reviewed? Trust us, this is going to become a theme. And I don’t hear anyone complaining about the ‘Mutiny Classic Ska Series’ Wink
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Dirty Revolution "It's Gonna Get Dirty" Empty Re: Dirty Revolution "It's Gonna Get Dirty"

Post by MidlandsDan Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 am

I was talking to a guy selling their merch and he reckoned they ain't gonna release a full length until early next year...

Anyway yeah good record, I put it on and just sat there listening to the whole thing when recovering from a beer festival.

Solid live band for deffo.

So I linked their lead singer to your review.

Last edited by MidlandsDan on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : looking forward to a fry up)
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Dirty Revolution "It's Gonna Get Dirty" Empty Re: Dirty Revolution "It's Gonna Get Dirty"

Post by Steff Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:47 am

They really do get better every time I see them.
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:25 pm

I've only caught them once that I was sober enough to remember but thought they were fantastic live. Looking forward to this new tour! Hopefully it'll come somewhere nearby.
    christinamarie
    christinamarie
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by christinamarie Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:19 pm

amazing band, had the pleasure of seeing them live a good few times now and they do get better every time.
    was going to buy this EP at Rebellion but totally forgot, definitely buying it at the next show.
    SBWNik
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by SBWNik Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Buy both this and their debut full length album. OK, a lot of the material is reworked from here, but is still sufficiently interesting to make both essential listening
    The band(who incidentally are a quintet, not a quartet)serve up socially aware lyrics with a dance beat, and rip it up big style.

Rapidly getting a good following across the country, buy both of these while they're still available - I believe that Do The Dog are getting short on this EP

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:40 am