Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Foxxe
Kristoff
Cap'n Lee
The Amazing Fletch
8 posters

Faith

The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Faith Empty Faith

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 pm

I've just had a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door. I don't like to be rude so I answered the door and politely said that I'm not interested. They could have just left it at that but no, they have to ask why I'm not interested and started to make me feel uncomfortable. I don't blame people for pretending they're not home.

I think it's a great thing that lots of people believe in lots of different things but people really shouldn't push it onto others. I'm all for a discussion on religion but when people won't listen to your point of view it's kind of pointless.

tl;dr? Is there a god?
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Faith Empty Re: Faith

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:58 pm

this is bound to come up so it's probably best i get this in before someone makes a tit of themselves and it looks like i'm having a go at them. if there is one correlation that seems to be true, it's that people who are anti-religion are both as thick as pig shit, and very arrogant about it.

Obviously this doesn't include people like derren brown and dr. richard dawkins who have taken objective looks and come to their own conclusions, but the people who follow their teachings (or, god forbid, dan brown's), never questioning them and holding it as true based purely on faith. All the while calling any body who holds a different view based on the same values as a sheep.

To be fair I walways see the same arrogant views from the scientologists offering the personality tests, give them a firm no and they laugh amongst themselves at you, bastards.

Penn Jillette has a video blog that I was going to link to, but it looks as though it has been restricted from UK audeiences now, don't know why. In one, he comes to quite a good conclusion as to why people push their faith so strongly, I can't remember it exactly of course and I can no longer check my facts, but here is my attempt.

Penn Jillette(kinda) wrote:Imagine you see me walking down a road and you see a large bus hurtling towards me. You tell me theres a bus coming and it has no intention of stopping but I refuse to believe there is a bus. Would you respect my beliefs and allow the bus to hit me or would you continue to try and convince me of the bus?
    Kristoff
    Kristoff
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by Kristoff Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:13 pm

I did write a lengthy reply, and then my spazzy hands caused the window to close.

In short, what I was saying was

"I'm not religious, but I don't really mind if you are... unless you're this man Faith PhelpsPulpit.

Or the mormon who told me that homosexuality was a disease that needs to be cured"

That's the one thing I really dislike about religions, the way SOME of them encourace homophobia.

Don't the $cientologi$t$ believe they can cure homosexuality?
    Foxxe
    Foxxe
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Foxxe Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:19 pm

A man stopped me in town the other day to chat about religious things. I try and stop for people like that in town, even if it's just to tell them I can't stop and talk because I'm in a rush.
    So anyway he started off by claiming all the wars going on at the moment are due to everyone deviating from God's path in recent years. I told him there were still wars in the past, when everyone was supposedly more religious or whatever. He changed the subject and started telling me I should be doing this that and the other with my life because God says people should. I told him I wasn't part of his religion so what his God said made no difference to me. So he tried to convince me by quoting Bible stuff and going on about God again! Fuckin eejit.

On the whole I don't give a shit what people believe, it's their choice. I don't even care about them trying to evangelise, if nothing else it can be pretty funny. I don't like the idea of having absolute faith in one response to a question that has so many answers. I also refuse to believe that if there is an almighty creator that it'd kick me out of its paradise just for not finding the right religion. I'd like to think that if it created the universe then it'd be wise enough to understand why I didn't pick a religion. You shouldn't need an old book breathing down your neck to guide your morals anyway.
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:
    Penn Jillette(kinda) wrote:Imagine you see me walking down a road and you see a large bus hurtling towards me. You tell me theres a bus coming and it has no intention of stopping but I refuse to believe there is a bus. Would you respect my beliefs and allow the bus to hit me or would you continue to try and convince me of the bus?

When it comes to something like that, the idea is surely around how you manage to convince somebody of your way of thinking.

If I have a compelling argument why you should move out of the way, or at least a informative and interesting point around the approaching danger, you'd probably be more inclined to listen.

And that's what doesn't happen all that often when being preached at by various religions out there. As mentioned above, when being preached at on the streets or indeed on your own doorstep the message tends not to extend far beyond "God is good" and "If you don't follow him you'll be damned".

I'm in the Non Religious camp. I just find the concept of God incredibly hard to take in on a personal level. Plus there's so much science out there to refute the teachings of modern religions.

It is good to see the level of help and support that religions provide to the overall community though. There's a lot of people out there that find comfort not just in the concepts of religion and God, but also being a part of a group that holds the same beliefs and works towards the same aims. I know that my Grandparents would probably be very lonely people if it weren't for going to church and the groups associated with it.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:54 pm

NotRich wrote:When it comes to something like that, the idea is surely around how you manage to convince somebody of your way of thinking.

If I have a compelling argument why you should move out of the way, or at least a informative and interesting point around the approaching danger, you'd probably be more inclined to listen.
    but i'm being illogical, i'm refusing to believe that the bus is there. there is no compelling argument when I refuse to believe in the central figure. There is no argument about why to be christian that you can use on someone who is flat out refusing to believe in God or the Debil etc. I don't believe in God therefore there is nothing he could promise me that would convince me to be a christian, I have nothing to fear from the debil because i don't believe he has any control and I have nothing to fear from a bus that I don't acknowledge the existence of.

Consider me trying to convince you that unicorns caused cancer. I could tell you about all of the horrible, real effects of cancer but if you've got a good head on your shoulders you'll tell me i'm talking bullshit. (Apologies to all of the Unicornians out there) Nothing I could tell you would convince you because you don't believe in the centre of the argument.

NotRich wrote:I'm in the Non Religious camp. I just find the concept of God incredibly hard to take in on a personal level. Plus there's so much science out there to refute the teachings of modern religions.
    Well, science doesn't have an answer for the creation of the universe, just as religions have truths, science has laws. Historians are the bastards disproving the word in the Bible et al.
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:57 pm

My Gran once shouted at some jehovahs witnesses... something along the lines of 'I don't come around your fucking house forcing my religion down your throat, so what gives you the right to come around mine?'.... apparently, they avoided her house for years after that.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 pm

i always give them the benefit of the doubt, and much like in Feltch's post, they take advantage of that. You'll have to lend me your Gran for next time.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:18 pm

I used to go to school with quite a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses (my second high school anyway, the first one was Catholic) and they actually have a duty to their church to go door to door. This is why I give them the benefit of the doubt because I think that most of them would rather not do it, especially the younger ones.

With regards to the bus analogy. If you turned round you would have physical scientific proof that this bus was going to hit you. Is seeing not believing?
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Jehovah's Witnesses even come to MY house!! Half a mile down a bumpy farm track in the middle of the countryside. Our house has to be the most anti-social setting ever, I really don't understand it.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 pm

@Feltch
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:
    NotRich wrote:When it comes to something like that, the idea is surely around how you manage to convince somebody of your way of thinking.

but i'm being illogical, i'm refusing to believe that the bus is there. there is no compelling argument when I refuse to believe in the central figure. There is no argument about why to be christian that you can use on someone who is flat out refusing to believe in God or the Debil etc. I don't believe in God therefore there is nothing he could promise me that would convince me to be a christian, I have nothing to fear from the debil because i don't believe he has any control and I have nothing to fear from a bus that I don't acknowledge the existence of.

Sorry, I didn't really process the original point as fully as I should've done. Ok, if there's someone flat out refusing to take a belief in religion then there's no real way to convince them. I see what you mean about the stubborn-ness that comes from a lot of anti-religious types.

I'm not entirely against the idea of religion, and I suppose what I was getting at is that if someone put a case together that I found fairly convincing around the existence and/or influence of "God", then i'd perhaps be inclined to change my viewpoint.
    But the flaw is that a lot of preaching that goes on just doesn't offer that whatsoever.

Cap'n Lee wrote:
    NotRich wrote:I'm in the Non Religious camp. I just find the concept of God incredibly hard to take in on a personal level. Plus there's so much science out there to refute the teachings of modern religions.
    Well, science doesn't have an answer for the creation of the universe, just as religions have truths, science has laws. Historians are the bastards disproving the word in the Bible et al.

No, i'm certainly not suggesting that science is the direct alternative to religion. And yes, a lot of science is based just on theoretical assumptions, including the key things around creation of the universe and whatnot.

But again, on a personal level, I see much more evidence presented to me in the cause of scientific explanations than I do when it comes to religion.

Whilst we're on that, there was an absolute tool of a man being interviewed in the Metro yesterday (Lee, save your Metro rant for elsewhere Laughing) discussing science and religion. Just tripped over himself a lot for a man that's written a book on the subject. Here's some of what he had to say:

Metro wrote:
    Dr Andrew Parker, 41, is a biologist at Oxford University. His latest book, The Genesis Enigma: Why The Bible Is Scientifically Accurate, claims the story of Genesis matches the history of the universe so accurately it could only have been written with divine intervention.

Have you proved the existence of God?
    I don’t think I’ve proved the existence of God. I’ve proved there is space in the universe where God might exist.

It would be quite a scoop.
    Well, yes. But if I find evidence there isn’t a God then as a scientist that would satisfy me too.

Isn’t this another example of religion masquerading as science?
    Absolutely not. I devoted most of my early career to science and leaned toward being an atheist. That’s changed during the writing of this book, which revealed surprising parallels between Genesis and the scientific history of the universe. Not only is the sequence of events in Genesis scientifically correct but some of the events themselves are really quite precise, which would have been impossible for a human to know at that time. You have to conclude that either the author made extremely lucky guesses or something strange was going on: divine inspiration.

That’s a massive leap, isn’t it?
    To say there’s something mysterious going on is probably not too great a leap. What I reveal is something beyond human intelligence, beyond testing with scientific equipment.

In Genesis, God creates the earth in six days, makes man out of dust and there’s no mention of the Big Bang. If it was written with God’s help, why is so much wrong?
    It’s the authors adding their artistic interpretation, shoehorning the facts into the type of story people would be able to understand.

You say the second ‘Let there be light…’ refers to the evolution of the eye but you edited out the rest of the line, which clearly refers to the Sun, Moon and stars. There’s no mention in Genesis of the evolution of the eye.
    Um, OK. I’ll probably have a look at this in more detail again. The first page of the Bible doesn’t spell out the eye but it doesn’t spell out any of the science in detail.

Your argument seems full of holes.
    I would say it’s the best guess with the best fit.

Is there any real evidence, or just speculation?
    If you want to say it’s 100 per cent evidence for God, no. With this book, there might be indirect evidence – it’s the strongest evidence for the existence of God I’ve come across. I’m not sure how you would describe it.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:30 pm

in looking for the nana thing I found this, its an interesting idea, but then the last caption spoils it all

I like the idea, with a bit of work it could be an awesome novel or something, maybe the further the universe spread, the less power was availableand as the universe again contracts, God will regain enough power to start throwing floods and shit at us Smile

i've stifled my rant Sad
    i can see the smug bastards from my desk, that's what makes it worse, look at them, talking about what bullshit they're going to over exaggerate and lie about
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:40 pm

You're right. Throughout the whole video it seemed to be from a neutral perspective until the end where it basically said, "if u dont agree then ur well gay."

The actual theory is the basis of a lot of proofs for the existence of God, the Cosmological Argument. I did philosophy of religion in sixth form and it was the only thing I actually did well in but all the details escape me.

But of course for every proof there is someone else that has countered the argument.

Fletchedit:This is the guy that posted the banana video.

I think he might be naked.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:01 pm

That's what Bobby looks like on the inside
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain