Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Foxxe
Cap'n Lee
The Amazing Fletch
7 posters

Yet another video game thread (about repairing 360s)

The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Yet another video game thread (about repairing 360s) Empty Yet another video game thread (about repairing 360s)

Post by The Amazing Fletch Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:31 pm

I've been given this Xbox 360 (as well as an old Xbox mentioned in another thread) to repair. I'm pretty good usually but these Xbox things have me stumped. The problem is that when I switch it on I get one flashing quadrant, the bottom right one if it is stood upright. On the screen I have "Error 73".

A quick google search comes up with this:

E73: I/O Hardware Error - Couldn't calibrate HSIO Bus from edram: this error is likely caused by a problem with the Ethernet port or supporting control devices.

Now I don't actually have a controller for it so it may be this but I'll get one of those later and if it isn't that does anyone have any suggestions? I don't think sending it to Microsoft is an option.

Getting the case off these things is also very hard. I managed it, only to find that I don't have any tools that will take all of the screws off. Damn you, Xbox!
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Yet another video game thread (about repairing 360s) Empty Re: Yet another video game thread (about repairing 360s)

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:54 pm

what you have there is a general hardware fault, most likely something has popped out due to creep (expanding while turned on and hot, contracting while cool until something pops out of the casing).
    Best bet is to rip it open and start pulling out anything and everything you can find. remove the processors and reapply thermal paste when putting it back in. It's very repairable but unfortunately, once it occurs it's only a matter of time until it happens again, this is why you shouldn't buy a 2nd hand xbox. somebody has likely done a quick fix to get it working long enough to palm onto someone else.

controller makes no difference, an xbox will boot with no controller just fine.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Yet another video game thread (about repairing 360s) Empty Re: Yet another video game thread (about repairing 360s)

Post by The Amazing Fletch Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks. The screw heads are a pain. I managed to get a few off with an alan key but the same size screws wouldn't come off with the same size alan key. I might have some tools at work that will do the trick.

I was going to give it away as a prize at our summer do but it would be a bit shitty if it's just going to break soon afterwards.
    Foxxe
    Foxxe
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Foxxe Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:50 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:you shouldn't buy a 2nd hand xbox. somebody has likely done a quick fix to get it working long enough to palm onto someone else.
    I bought mine off eBay a year and a half ago and it's still fine. It red ringed on me once about six months ago but that was just the one where it says take the HDD out and stick it back in again.
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:46 am

As an alternative story, I bought a preowned one from Game and it broke the day after I got it, the replacement broke within a week.

Buy that extra cover, kids - it's worth it.
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:41 am

I'm on my 3rd xbawks now (2 replacements). The 2nd had some sort of audio/video problem and that happened just after the end of the warranty but I called anyway and got it replaced for free =] I had fun hitting it and generally smacking it about before I sent it off.
    ScottMoon
    ScottMoon
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by ScottMoon Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Furious D wrote:As an alternative story, I bought a preowned one from Game and it broke the day after I got it, the replacement broke within a week.

Buy that extra cover, kids - it's worth it.

exact same story for me.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 am

The Amazing Fletch wrote:I don't have any tools that will take all of the screws off. Damn you, Xbox!

9/10 xbox owners iv talked to on this subject agree that the best tools to use are a brick and a butter knife

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:08 pm