Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

saxophoning problems =[

MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

saxophoning problems =[ Empty saxophoning problems =[

Post by MangoSkeejykins Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:14 pm

You might knkow i bought me a tenor sax last week, i got off to a great start and i know a couple scales and i know how to work out scales and i know where all the easy notes are (two octave from low c of chromatic-ness so i know where all 12 notes are but haven't started with alternate fingerings or higher notes yet)

problem is i don't think i have my reed set up correctly today or something because i could play fine the other day but this afternoon i've had loads of trouble geting the lower notes and finding it hard to keep the notes straight, some of them sound like a shep baa-ing!

any tips on reed set-up or embouchure?

thanks,
    Skeej
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

saxophoning problems =[ Empty Re: saxophoning problems =[

Post by Parg Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Have you moved the reed from the day before? I don't know if it's right but I usually have the reed level with the end of the mouthpiece and the fastenery bit as far away from the end as possible. Or maybe the reed is damaged in some way?

Also if you don't blow very hard on lower notes they don't come out so well / at all.

Hope I was some help

Last edited by Parg on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:47 pm

thanks, i had the reed in the same place i've used it before, it is a new reed as i stupidly chipped the first one but it was definately in the same place and i had moistened it and whatnot before i put it in.

i think i'm blowing hard enough, i have a sturdy set of lungs from trombone playing and being a non-smoker, might just be a bad sax day or putting my mouth not far/too far up the mouthpiece

thanks =]
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:15 am

I find putting your bottom lip further on the mouthpiece and keeping the top lip the same helps for low notes. Failing that try eating more of the mouthpiece.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:44 pm

hey, thanks for the tip, it's helping a little but i suppose it'll take a while for me to be abl to play all the lower notes but i'm getting better

been fooling aroun with blues scales =]

oh and is one step beyond a Dm pentatonic scale or is a natural minor?
    Francis
    Francis
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Francis Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:56 pm

It's D harmonic minorrrr, yo!
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:47 am

sounds good to me, gots to love some harmonic minor, i keep getting side-tracked when i try and figure it out, i'm having so much fun improvising at the moment i never stay on track, considering i have barely any idea if i have the thing setup right or if it needs adjustments or anything i'm havin a reet good time and it sounds lovely.
    chuffed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:12 am