Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Cap'n Lee
ferrrn
Steff
Al
MidlandsDan
Manamana
10 posters

World Inferno Friendship Society - Red Eyed Soul

Manamana
    Manamana
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

World Inferno Friendship Society - Red Eyed Soul Empty World Inferno Friendship Society - Red Eyed Soul

Post by Manamana Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:15 pm

I know this is not the most ska album ever, but I think it certainly agrees with the 'or shit hot' part of the idea of these classic reviews.

World Inferno Friendship Society - Red Eyed Soul (Chunksaah Records 2006)

How would one describe The World/Inferno Friendship Society? Punk? Cabaret? Klezmer? I guess all of these things, and more! On stage about 8 or 9 members is what you see of the group, but this album credits a total of 16 musicians including string and brass players.

Brother of the Mayor hits straight away with its bluesy style and energy. Warning: you may find yourself walking around singing the furiously catchy intro to this song and generally weirding out people at bus stops. Then the album rolls straight into the far more laid back clean tones of Velocity of Love. Jack Terricloth's vocals on this track are so slick they have many of the qualities of maple syrup; I don't think any other vocalist could do the songs justice without his thick accent.

You could say the lyrics of the album are based mainly on love, drunkenness and fighting. Some songs are based on characters that run through the World/Inferno back catalogue: listen to Me V. Angry Mob if you want to know what a guy singing a book to a klezmer backing track sounds like (surprisingly good, as well as interesting and amusing) All this is infused with punk culture references, especially the dedication to a beautiful yet unattainable punk girl that is Only Anarchists Are Pretty. Despite the variety of instruments, this album is by no means pretentious. The accordion parts lend folk qualities and the saxophones help swing everything along. The guitar solo on The Devil's Ball is bizarrely genius and one of the highlights for me.

I think that the art of getting as many words out your mouth as possible in as short a time as possible has been lost recently, but this is not so with World/Inferno Friendship Society; the absolutely mind-boggling Annie The Imaginary Lawyer would twist any lesser vocalists tongue beyond recognition. There is excellent use of backing vocals which really add to the choruses and other climatic parts of the songs, they add to the drama of it all.

One of my favourite aspects of this album is the sheer variety of songs on this album. There's all speeds from fast (Annie) to slow (Hothouse Flowers), there's even the acoustic guitar and vocal only Please My Favourite Don't Be Sad. Some tracks are very punk, some more bluesy, some completely unclassifiable. That's the best part about this album: you don't get bored while listening to it, it's not repetitive, and it's completely World/Inferno's own style. To use a complete cliché: they're unique!

It's an incredible album, and I'd recommend it to anyone with ears.
    Thanks for reading, now go listen Smile
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

World Inferno Friendship Society - Red Eyed Soul Empty Re: World Inferno Friendship Society - Red Eyed Soul

Post by MidlandsDan Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:59 pm

Interesting. Will check it. Thankyou.
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

World Inferno Friendship Society - Red Eyed Soul Empty Re: World Inferno Friendship Society - Red Eyed Soul

Post by Al Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:27 am

This makes me want to check the band out (still, after many missed opportunities).

Upcoming tour dates*:

AUG 6th STOKE RIGGER
    AUG 7th HULL ADELPHI
    AUG 8th LEEDS RIO'S
    AUG 9th BLACKPOOL WINTER GARDENS @ Rebellion
    AUG 10th GLASGOW STEREO
    AUG 11th MANCHESTER STAR & GARTER
    AUG 12th NOTTINGHAM MAZE
    AUG 13th BRISTOL BIER KELLER
    AUG 14th PLYMOUTH WHITE RABBIT
    AUG 15th LONDON UNDERWORLD w Kevin Seconds
    AUG 16th BRIGHTON ENGINE ROOMS

*Nicked from here
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:55 am

I'm considering driving the long drive to Bristol to see these. Would be cool to see them.
    ferrrn
    ferrrn
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by ferrrn Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:24 am

^^ do it,
    i saw them last time they played, and it was awesome, plus my friends band is supporting this time, and theyre pretty good too, its gonna be an awesome gig (:

Last edited by ferrrn on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 am

listened to one of their songs on myspace, the brother of the mayor, it is indeed catchy. Don't know whether i'd listen to more, suppose I wouldn't complain if someone put it on.
    Manamana
    Manamana
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by Manamana Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Aah but you see, Cap'n Lee, there is much diversity in their songs, so I'd suggest that making a judgement based on just the one may be a little presumptious Smile
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 pm

well theres me told Sad

i'll listen to all their myspace has to offer in a short while
    Francis
    Francis
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Francis Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:10 pm

We (stand out riot) are supporting these in Manchester.

delicious
    Manamana
    Manamana
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by Manamana Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm on holiday when they get to London, rats. Still, the previous 2 times I saw them they were fantastic.
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Francis wrote:We (stand out riot) are supporting these in Manchester.

delicious

If only I lived in Manchester, that sounds like a potential awesome gig.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:38 am

I see they are at Rebellion. Hahaha, excellent.
    ferrrn
    ferrrn
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by ferrrn Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:34 pm

^^with goldie looking chain straight after...
    thats gonna be interesting
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:23 am

I'm looking forward to GLC actually. Should be different.
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Yeah this band are awesome, and a band you can never ever get bored of listening to, and it frustrates me in only have the me vs angry mob ep! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I've seen them once back in either 06 or 07, I think! AWESOME GIG! deffinatly going plymouth, I was going bristol until i relised there was a plymouth one lol!
    harrydance
    harrydance
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by harrydance Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:37 pm

I am stupid and only recently got into this band, just in time to see them at Rebellion. Possibly the best thing I saw there this year

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:23 pm