Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Andy DTA
The Amazing Fletch
Peeky
Spam
Cap'n Lee
Jess
Steff
11 posters

Trumpet again?

Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Trumpet again? Empty Trumpet again?

Post by Steff Wed May 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Ok so I'm looking to pick up the trumpet again (I havn't played since year 5), or any kind of brass or maybe even a sax.
    What kind of price should a bottom of the range cheap cheap trumpet sell at?
    And what should I look out for damage-wise, I don't want to get ripped off for a trumpet that doesn't work.
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Trumpet again? Empty Re: Trumpet again?

Post by Jess Wed May 27, 2009 5:03 pm

Aha! My forte!

Righto, I don't want to recommend any particular models too you, but I definitely would avoid makes such as Lark! (really crappy China make) or Lafleur. Anything by Yamaha, Besson, Vincent Bach, Selmer, Conn or a few others would be absolutely fine. If you get offered a random second hand one, try and research the make before you buy it. Even just a simple google search could throw up some stuff for you.
    Also, if you're buying from new, don't be sucked in by a famous face advertising certain brands... It was more of a problem with the kids I used to teach, as their parents would see Louis Armstrong’s face plastered over a certain brand and want to buy they trumpet for their child, hoping they would be the next trumpet talent. Don't do it!
    Are you still at school? If so, you can usually buy a new one through them and get the tax off. I bought my trumpet 2 months before I left and got over £500 off Very Happy. I’m not quite sure if the same thing can be done through a college or uni, but it’s worth checking out.

So, if you get a second hand model, try and get a look at it before you buy and commit yourself. Be careful about internet purchasing, you could find yourself in a similar situation to a man who has met a woman through internet dating and been given a picture of Angelina, only to find themselves in front of Susan Boyle. I cannot stress enough how much I recommend you see it in the flesh! (or metal.. whatever)

-Check the bell, see if it has a lateral seam or not. That means they’ve been crafted using two pieces and are generally cheaper than the axial seam that is more commonly seen.

-Take out the valves and check them carefully for signs of wear. If someone presses down on the valves at the wrong angle, it gradually wears then down and damages the inside of the valve too. There might be thick lines down the side of the valve or it may been a bit squint if this has happened. Know what is normal and keep this in mind when looking at them.

- Check the valve springs too. When you press down and release the valves they should rise smoothly, if they bounce or wobble it may mean the valve springs need to be replaced.

- Have a look at the spit valves and check they don’t leak or that the cork is not cracked. They made need replacing if this is the case, you’ll end up with a dribbling trumpet otherwise. Never a great look...

-Check that the tuning and third valve slide move freely, if they don’t move, simply don’t buy

-Check out your valve and slide compression by pulling out the third slide and pressing the slide, you should hear a pop if all is well. Again, no pop, no buy!

-Try and find out how long the previous owner has had the instrument, if they were a heavy or light player, and often they bathed it. Ask if they smoke too, I personally probably wouldn’t buy a trumpet off a smoker unless I know it’s been kept clean. After gigging in Europe last year I washed my trumpet out when I got home and the insides where really black and rank. Obviously there’s no smoking ban over there (yet) so everyone was smoking hunners of bines inside and then I was blasting it through my trumpet. Sick!

- Check all over for dents too, as they will damage the tone of the instrument. A few little glitches don’t matter, we’ve all got a few, but the bigger they are the more shit they’re going to make your instrument.

Finally, one of the most important things to look for in a second hand brass instrument is evidence of red rot on the inside of the leadpipe of valves. These are little pinky spots, caused by depositions of copper due to the dezincification of brass. It’s sadly due to neglect of the instrument and once it’s started it can’t be reversed. Never, ever, ever buy an instrument with red rot.

So, enjoy these 700 words of trumpet talk, I’ll add anything else up that I think of. Let me know how you get on!

(if you chose to buy a saxophone after all this I might deck you )
    Razz
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed May 27, 2009 5:26 pm

fuck me, you should be charging steff for a new keyboard after that
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Wed May 27, 2009 5:31 pm

It's probably longer and more in-depth than most of the uni work I hand in..
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Wed May 27, 2009 5:38 pm

I think I love you.
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Wed May 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Aw, thank you Very Happy
    Spam
    Spam
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Spam Sat May 30, 2009 10:44 am

I'd just like to be annoying and point out that sax isn't brass.
    Peeky
    Peeky
    The Mysterious Benefactor
    The Mysterious Benefactor

Post by Peeky Sat May 30, 2009 11:17 am

Steff wrote:Ok so I'm looking to pick up the trumpet again (I havn't played since year 5), or any kind of brass or maybe even a sax.

Im not very good with english language stuff but im pretty sure the 'or' in that sentence seperates the sax from the brass.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Sat May 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Peeky wrote:
    Steff wrote:Ok so I'm looking to pick up the trumpet again (I havn't played since year 5), or any kind of brass or maybe even a sax.

Im not very good with english language stuff but im pretty sure the 'or' in that sentence seperates the sax from the brass.

owned
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Sun May 31, 2009 12:29 am

Reps for Happy Camel and Peeky there.

I bought a trumpet off eBay a few years ago. Twas a dead cheap thing (pretty much exactly what you said not to do Happy Camel) but I never got anywhere with learning to play it. Partly its because its a cheap trumpet. Partly because I'm a lazy fucker with no dedication, and when I couldn't pick it up straight away I got bored and left it in my spare room. Lol.
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Sun May 31, 2009 1:35 am

Nooo! People who make the cheap trumpets make me rage so much. The couldn't give a shite about the tone of the instrument, they just want to mass produce them in a warehouse.

Don't worry, I didn't start out so great on the trumpet either. Razz
    I only started lessons because it could get me out of Gaelic Hymns class!
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Sun May 31, 2009 1:51 am

I've had 3 cheap trumpets and they've all served me well. I mainly like to spin them on my finger though.
    Andy DTA
    Andy DTA
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Andy DTA Sun May 31, 2009 6:07 am

Mine was £40 from some company down in Devon, and its a brilliant red. I could have bought the traditional brass but I wanted to be different. Oh yeah.

Oh, and I spin all your mothers on my finger. Giggidy. (Need a Quagmire-style quote to justify my profile pic Trumpet again? 552852 )
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Sun May 31, 2009 11:23 am

With certain objects you definitely get what you pay for. This is a little off topic but my wife bought me a cheap £40 telescope and it wasn't really good for anything. The tripod would wobble, the optics and the eyepieces were poor quality. I spent £150 on a decent telescope and there is nothing at all wrong with it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you're dedicated to trying something new, don't take the cheap option. You'll definitely enjoy it more and probably want to carry on playing if you spend a little bit more cash.
    Spam
    Spam
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Spam Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 pm

Yeah, at first i borrowed a trumpet for my college, which was shit and i didnt get very far.
    then i decided to buy my own, which is a lovely 20's/30's selmer. after that i started playing alot more and definately improved.
    Spam
    Spam
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Spam Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 pm

also, how the fuck do you spin your trumpet on your finger?!?!?
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Sun May 31, 2009 8:01 pm

1:50 in. That's how.
    angie_c
    angie_c
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by angie_c Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:44 am

Andy DTA wrote:Mine was £40 from some company down in Devon, and its a brilliant red. I could have bought the traditional brass but I wanted to be different. Oh yeah.

"Buy cheap, buy twice" as the old saying goes.
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:58 pm

i'd love to get a trumpet (or cornet, are they easier to learn?) but i think my family would go insane if they had to put up with me trying to learn sax and trumpet (and getting by tbone out soon for some crazy piece i'm composing for a few bands brass sections for a big gig coming up)

my sax was cheap (158 quid ebay job) second hand boosey and hawks. also completely against that lovely essay i read earlier in the thread and there's nothing wrong with it at all (which i'm sure is just luck)
    therur
    therur
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by therur Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:31 pm

ive got a forte and quite frankly i love it. it was like £300 (dicounted from 800!) and its a beast
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 pm

MangoSkeejykins wrote:i'd love to get a trumpet (or cornet, are they easier to learn?)

There's not much difference really. The trumpet has a more cylindrical bore compared to the cornets conical tubing. The cornet therefore has a slightly more mellow sound and blends in with other brass instruments more smoothly (that's why it's played in a brass band). Just make sure you've got the right mouthpiece and there's no hassle Smile
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:10 am

i actually just noticed we have an old cornet in our stupidly large collection of instruments scattered around the house. will try and find out more about it, if anyone could help that'd be great. It's a boosey and co (so obviously pretty old then if it's before b&h) Silbron Class A. very tarnished and got a few nasty dents. serial number 105719. if anyone thinks it's worth restoring i might do it, the valves still move freely but the tuning slide doesn't at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:41 am