Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Drewvis "For The Win"

Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Drewvis "For The Win" Empty Drewvis "For The Win"

Post by Al Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:41 am

Drewvis "For The Win" Drewvi10
    For The Win
    Drewvis
    (Do The Dog, 2008)

For The Win, the debut E.P. from Drewvis (A.K.A. Drew Bristow from Second Time Lucky) is somewhat of an enigma of a record. On the one hand it’s well structured, enjoyable acoustic ska music, but on the other it’s a little difficult to get your ears around. In some ways it’s a record with a forked tongue.

Musically this seven tracker is pure, stripped-down ska music. Forget the big sound of Robb Blake’s releases, or the playfully experimental touches of Gecko, this is guitar strings and a little bass. Not a lot more. Simple, yet decent enough. Perfect for swilling away early Sunday mornings.

The second fork on this tongue is the vocal. Without a doubt this is the hurdle that a lot of listeners are going to stumble against. For the most part it’s a little too, for want of so many better words, sickly. There are instances on the record where it’s almost like Drewvis is going for some kind of angelic, quaint stance (see ‘Fear and Loathing (In 7 Dials’, and ‘Happy Medium’). Perhaps it’s personal taste but it just just doesn’t digest all that well.

To further compound matters, the vocals on opener ‘Nearly Departed’ and closer ‘Head Up, Keep Smiling’ seem a little more, well, acoustic ska. A little more palatable. These bookend tracks shine through without a doubt. Perhaps you get used to the vocal as the record progresses. Perhaps they’re a little more natural. Whatever the reason, these two tracks suggest that Drewvis is worth a listen. Perhaps a rawer, live setting would work better.

There’s no doubting Drewvis’ abilities. Lyrically these songs are interesting, and musically it’s exactly what you want from acoustic ska. It’s just that one boundary that halts matters. Definitely a release you need to listen to yourself to get a feel for.

SkaMutiny Rating: 2/5

Al
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Drewvis "For The Win" Empty Re: Drewvis "For The Win"

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:14 pm

very good review, al
    at first opportunity, i'll give the myspace a listen
    SBWNik
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by SBWNik Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Got to be honest, I've had this since release, and I've never been able to get into it. I'd say that the comparison with Robb Blake is an interesting one, I'd think that Drevvis are closer to (Venice Shoreline) Chris (Murray) than Mr Blake - very accoustic and really with only borderline relevance to the current ska scene.
    What they do, they do well, but it's never floated my boat at all whereas Robb Blakes album is much more towards the 2-Tone end of things that I grew up with.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 am