Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Peeky
MidlandsDan
NotRich
Reel Big Moose
Steff
Cap'n Lee
The Amazing Fletch
11 posters

Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general)

Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general) - Page 2 Empty Re: Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general)

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:51 pm

kind of reminds me of my general studies a-level exam (i never took general studies but turned up to the exam because i was promised an easter egg for doing so)

the questions in the exam were all leading. it would have a daily mail article about how labour are shitting on the values that make britain great and other bollocks that doesn't mean anything and then the questions were all "aren't labour shit?" and "how worthless is it to vote for a 3rd party?"

i don't know what their intentions were, but I answered the questions as best I could, arguing that the articles were meritless, gave no information and were just scaremongering and I failed the exam.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general) - Page 2 Empty Re: Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general)

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:00 pm

We had like an assessment exam thing to show us what general studies would be like which we had to take, we had no choice. So I purposely got all of the multiple choice questions wrong. Head of sixth said, "You'll struggle to get into university without this qualification."

First things first, I was never going to go to uni and they knew that. Secondly, it was all just a bullshit ploy to get their stats up. "Our students leave with this many A-levels" kind of thing. That's what made me sick of education by the time I left. The funny thing is, I probably earn more per year 6 years on than my classmates who went to uni do at the moment, and I don't have any sort of loan to pay off.

/rant
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:03 pm

woop yeah! go feltch!
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:36 pm

i will agree with feltch, i hate our education system and would never even advise someone to go to college, let alone university. for any job you can imagine, there are methods that bypass education, well aside from a medical career, but you can get legal training by starting out being an intern for a council, for example.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:11 pm

therur wrote:Carol anne duffy was the worst by far
    Too fucking right mate. That boring bitch thought that being a lesbian made her special somehow and she milked it dry.

Also remember Seamus Heaney? 'Dig'...basically about how his dad was a tough as nails farmer and Seamus was whining on about how he would measure up to that by metaphorically 'digging' with his pen. Still that image of his dad being brought a bottle of milk and pausing for a second to down it before carrying on digging is an image that still inspires me to this day.

The Amazing Fletch wrote:What I didn't like about that curriculum is how they made you have their opinion on the poetry. It didn't really leave room for an expression of my own opinions of the poems, just the curriculum's. As long as I wrote what I was told to write, the english teacher was happy.

That's not what poetry is all about.

Reckon poetry and maybe literature in general is ruined for a lot of people by the way they sit you down in classrooms and pump you full of as you say the 'correct opinion' like battery hens, of course noone really listens, just sit there waiting for the lesson to end. The impression given in school of poetry and literature was that it was fucking boring.

anyway

Last edited by MidlandsDan on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:i will agree with feltch, i hate our education system and would never even advise someone to go to college, let alone university. for any job you can imagine, there are methods that bypass education, well aside from a medical career, but you can get legal training by starting out being an intern for a council, for example.

I want to do particle physics. I think I have to go to uni for that

As for poetry, it's never really interested me. It's like a song without the music and I just get bored (I know that's probably not technically correct cos you can have songs without lyrics (I think? I dunno) but I don't know how else to explain it). Ironically I got a higher grade in English language gcse (includes poetry) than in English lit.

MidlandsDan wrote:Reckon poetry and maybe literature in general is ruined for a lot of people by the way they sit you down in classrooms and pump you full of as you say the 'correct opinion' like battery hens, of course noone really listens, just sit there waiting for the lesson to end. The impression given in school of poetry and literature was that it was fucking boring.
    I think I had quite a good teacher for english. She basically said that as long as we could justify it with the poem we could interpret it any way we liked. Didn't feel like there was any agenda they were pushing (though we were the last year that had the Duffy one with the knife in it at the end) other than maybe the choice of poems
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:04 am

They said that I could interpret it any way I liked but when it came down to the person marking the exam, they were just following their scorecard.

I think you're right, Dan. Poetry comes across to a lot of people as boring and uncool. I wrote poetry at school, a lot of others 'rapped'.
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:31 am

I think english at high school pretty much ruined poetry for me. When you spend lesson after lesson analysing one poem its bound to put you off it....

As for the uni thing... I advise not to go unless you really have to, I know I shouldn't have bothered, bit late now as I'm in my 3rd year Neutral
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 am

People just go to uni because they don't know what else to do and it's kind of 'expected' by the school that they go.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 am

very true, mr. feltchy
    when i was at college, it was taken as a given that we were there to proceed to college
    Mod Henry
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:32 pm

In my defence of being a University student, I'm learning things about my chosen subject (English and Theatre) that I COULD possibly learn by just reading around the subject, but it's the reasouces available and the meeting of new people to discuss ideas that really makes these 3 years worthwhile, being involved in plays, societies, learning from professors etc. Naturally the whole exammination process is a poor way of testing people no doubt.

As for punk poetry...I recently discovered Shelly's 'Mask of Anarchy' which is very long but very uplifting
    "Rise like Lions after slumber
    In unvanquishable number,
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

'What is Freedom? - ye can tell
    That which slavery is, too well -
    For its very name has grown
    To an echo of your own."

I love John Cooper Clarke.

Please, please please check out my myspace page with some of my performance poetry. There's some on the player but there's some live performances uploaded down the page. I'm working on a live performance, bit of comedy, bit of poetry all energetic and at speed with a punky ethos. My mate recorded some properly but he's taking a-g-e-s to mix them or whatever.

www.myspace.com/henrythepoet

Would love any feedback Smile
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Henry. Love those vids mate.

PS Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is a boss film.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Mod Henry wrote:In my defence of being a University student, I'm learning things about my chosen subject (English and Theatre) that I COULD possibly learn by just reading around the subject, but it's the reasouces available and the meeting of new people to discuss ideas that really makes these 3 years worthwhile, being involved in plays, societies, learning from professors etc. Naturally the whole exammination process is a poor way of testing people no doubt.

i agree with everything you've said there, but you are saying that the part of university that is useful isn't the horribly expensive part.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:38 pm

When I left 6th form half way through, I was enjoying philosophy and religious studies. I thought that I may take a degree in it later on in life through the OU. University certainly isn't a bad thing. Where would new medicines and scientific breakthroughs be researched otherwise? I know someone who took egyptology at uni. What are you going to get out of that? SG1 already has Daniel Jackson (or Jonas Quinn, depending on which series you are up to).

Nice stuff, Henry. Is it just you on the track 'Rot'? It sound like two people at one point.

Whatever happened to your radio show?
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:40 pm

I go to uni for free... Oh yeah! Razz
    Unless I fail.. then I think I have to pay a bit towards it... Don't think I would have gone if I had to pay for it and had to get student loans and what not...
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:44 pm

oh yeah, magical isle of man... i'm sure it's just an effort to get people off the island before it sinks
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:58 pm

I think the idea is that they want you back after you've been to uni. You have to fill out a form with lots of questions, one being how you going to uni will benefit the iom's economy... Ha!
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:05 pm

and how will you going to uni benefit iom's economy?

(by the way, i prefer the idea of it sinking)
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:25 pm

I can't remember what I wrote.... But I'm the worst of the worst... I do art! I think their going to stop doing it in a few years and only pay for people doing like doctors degrees and teaching and stuff like that.. Which I suppose will encourage people to do 'proper' degrees....

I think I prefer the sinking idea as well, although back home I live near the beach so my home will probably be one of the first to sink... which would be sad.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:35 pm

or the last depending on which side sinks first

i imagine the south end would sink first, seems more sparse, i reckon it would let water flood in.
    Mod Henry
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Is it just you on the track 'Rot'? It sound like two people at one point.

Whatever happened to your radio show?

Yeah it's just me, can't remember exactly how we recorded it, probabaly twice for chorus/verse.

The show's coming back, midday on Wednesdays starts next week! I'm gonna try and do some podcasts too. More info to come.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 pm

gil scott heron 'the revolution will not be telvised'

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am