Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Peeky
MidlandsDan
NotRich
Reel Big Moose
Steff
Cap'n Lee
The Amazing Fletch
11 posters

Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general)

The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general) Empty Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general)

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:16 pm

I've got a punk rock compilation CD and the very last track is Kung Fu International by John Cooper Clarke. This got me thinking about punk rock poetry. I used to dabble in poetry in my adolescent era and I know that a few of you do too.

Anyway, here's John C. Clarke to get you in the mood:

Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general) Empty Re: Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general)

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:42 pm

embedding disabled, gaaaahhhh!!!!!

anyway, what ws the point? it just came across as doomsayer panicking, sensationalist bollocks

explain, mr. feltch
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general) Empty Re: Punk Rock Poetry (and poetry in general)

Post by Steff Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Edit: Does it matter that there's music? it's still poetry. If you can find it the dan le sac remix of that song is really good, I don't think it's on youtube.

Edit: more poetry http://www.last.fm/music/Buddy+Wakefield/_/My+point+forever+endlessly?autostart
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:36 pm

The point of my video is that it's poetry, but with a little dash of oi. I like humorous poetry, John Hegley used to be my favourite.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:52 pm

NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:00 am

I REALLY don't like that King Blues thing.

It's so cringeworthy.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:07 am

I really don't like the King Blues.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:21 am

I really like saul williams though, one of the most amazing things ive seen at leeds fest in 11 years was his 2nd set (he did a normal set of his more music based stuff on the carling stage) where he appeared with youthmovie soundtrack stratagies, and improvised poetry over them jamming for half an hour. it was magical.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:23 am

Fantastic thread my friends, excellent stuff here.

Poetry is something which can say a great deal very powerfully in a brief space / period of time.

I remember hearing Kung Fu International back in the day. Very funny.

What If Punk Never Happened is something for the naysayers to listen and learn I reckon...interesting that its got a bit of a negative response here. Thanks Steff for posting that vid, a real raw rendition of it.

Saul Williams is sick as fuck. Its all about the delivery with this cat I feel.

Can't find a vid or whatever for it...which is a shame because the delivery is brilliant, but here are the words to a spoken word track off The Business' "No Mercy For You" entitled "Oi The Poet," I happen to think its boss as fuck and something we can all relate to in our own way:

STREET PUNK
    where you belong.
    They say they're right
    you know they're wrong.
    Bored on the street
    there's nothing to do.
    Every day
    You're just taken for a fool.
    REJECT
    you don't fit in.
    They beat you down
    but you never give in.
    Never had a proper wage
    no future
    no job
    and you're always told you're just a lazy slob.
    Well
    I may have nothing
    but I shine twice as bright.
    I know what's wrong
    and I know what's right,
    So stick your city job
    and your suburban wife
    cos looking at you
    I love my life.

On a lighter note, the aptly named character 'Poet' in Oz delivers some mad lyricism...trust me, watch the first two, you will be missing out if you don't:

PEACE!
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:31 am

That guy wouldn't need such an unwieldly piece of long paper if he wrote with smaller writing.
    Nah but seriously, I didn't like the start of that but I was getting into it by the end, nice one. A few more listens to that and I'd be a fan.

The king blues video wasn't the one I was actually looking for, I was looking for the dan le sac remix. He adds his own response to what itch is saying, and it's really fucking good. Disclaimer: IMO.

Did anyone click the link I posted to last.fm?

someone else worth mentioning: I think sage francis has some of the best lyrics ever in both his spoken word and songs. I can't choose just one song http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/sage_francis_lyrics_15308/
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:45 am

steff my brother i was about to try and find a sage track called 'hey bobby' which has no music and is just poetry. sage is a legend a lot of very good political and socail commentary, though my favorite pice is probably about the most personal one he did 'inheritted scars' about him finding out his sister was self harming.
    "Could I erase your body language telling you its all been said before?
    Or change the words you wrote, exchanging your scars for my metaphors?
    I'd add them to my collection while smiling
    Next time you want to paint with razor blades and need a canvas use my skin"
    that bit chokes me everytime i hear it.

ok this is taken from hidden track on an ep so the actual poem propper doesnt start till 1minute in almost eactly so fast forward to there or lsiten to a minute of silly stuff)

Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:11 am

Yeah I've heard that one, it's sweeeeet.

I was listening to it earlier actually, a live video though.

" Monkey see, monkey do. I wonder what those fucking monkies saw."
    Peeky
    Peeky
    The Mysterious Benefactor

Post by Peeky Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:52 am

The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:39 am

I like how the end is the same as the beginning.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 am

yeah, that was on purpose
    Peeky
    Peeky

Post by Peeky Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:44 am

Its pretty savage
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

dog bless peep show

The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:20 pm

How did I forget about Ben Zephania. He was one of my favourites back in school. I like his Christmas one called 'Talking Turkeys'.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:53 pm

I think ive the book with that in somewhere lol
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Yeah who can forget that fucking 'Anthology,' a great sleep inducing tool in English lessons.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:48 pm

i emant the benjamin zephaniah book not some english lit anthology
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:55 pm

I fucking hated that Simon Armitage guy. Even if I didn't have to study his poetry I still would have disliked it.
    therur
    therur
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by therur Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:21 pm

I actually thought armitage was one of the better poets in that book, he wrote about a hitch hiker getting beat to death by the person who picked him up which made for mildly interesting reading. Carol anne duffy was the worst by far
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:31 pm

What I didn't like about that curriculum is how they made you have their opinion on the poetry. It didn't really leave room for an expression of my own opinions of the poems, just the curriculum's. As long as I wrote what I was told to write, the english teacher was happy.

That's not what poetry is all about.
    therur
    therur
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by therur Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:43 pm

You're completely right there, our teacher used to stress that as long as we backed up our opinion we would be allowed to say whatever but then he used to tell us that we were wrong for saying anything other that the poet supposedly wanted us to think.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 am