Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Steff
Cap'n Lee
Tom WIth Dreads
tyrannosaurusben
Jess
Miss Lynsey Hostiles
10 posters

Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated

Miss Lynsey Hostiles
    Miss Lynsey Hostiles
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated Empty Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated

Post by Miss Lynsey Hostiles Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Hey
    I'm looking to buy a clip-on wireless mic for my sax...mostly due to not being able to dance enough on stage!
    Do any sax/horn players use one at the moment and would they recommend that brand?

Just trying to canvass some opinion cos i know nothing about them!

Cheers L x
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated Empty Re: Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated

Post by Jess Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:38 pm

I used one once in a gig in Holland and really, really hated it. I don't like how everything you play can be heard, if you want to do a quick scale or even blow out your spit you can't exactly turn away from the mic for a few seconds and carry on. (Maybe you could turn it off for a few seconds or something, but everyone was speaking dutch and I was too drunk!). I just used to play into the mic and then do a helluva lot of dancing in between horn lines.
    Have you had a chance to use one before? I'd definitely try and borrow one for at least one gig before you decide you actually buy one.

PS - Hope Norway was fun Smile
    Miss Lynsey Hostiles
    Miss Lynsey Hostiles
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated Empty Re: Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated

Post by Miss Lynsey Hostiles Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 pm

yeah i've used trombone steves. the other advantage is the balance of sound is easier to achieve cos the trumpet and trombone are always waaaaaaay louder than me and a few sound guys have suggested it would be better. that might be nonsense but i don't know much about sound engineering.
    the bit about hearing everything is a problem tho, nowhere to hide if u play a bum note Very Happy
    tyrannosaurusben
    tyrannosaurusben
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by tyrannosaurusben Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:13 am

doooo it. half our horns are wireless... shure wireless mics are good, sturdy and reliable.

audio technica not so much...

its definitely worth putting money in to though, its one of those things where you pretty much get what you pay for.
    Tom WIth Dreads
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Tom WIth Dreads Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm not a big fan of wireless microphones they are pretty cool but I just use a normal mic or whatevers available.

What mouthpiece do you use? Cos I would say your better off paying out and getting a good metal mouthpiece before thinking about a microphone because they increase sound (Like alot!!) and make a better tone.
    Miss Lynsey Hostiles
    Miss Lynsey Hostiles
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by Miss Lynsey Hostiles Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:48 pm

yeah i was thinking of getting a decent mouthpiece but as i don't really have any saxophoning friends in glasgow its tricky to try b4 u buy! what make do u use?
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Jess wrote:I don't like how everything you play can be heard, if you want to do a quick scale or even blow out your spit you can't exactly turn away from the mic for a few seconds and carry on. (Maybe you could turn it off for a few seconds or something, but everyone was speaking dutch and I was too drunk!).

Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated TayZonday_YouTube_1
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:13 am

Lee already has way too many reps but that was deserved, definatly.
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:39 am

I think that he is actually quite good. (Tay Zonday, not Lee)
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:53 am

Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated Untitled-3
    Peeky
    Peeky
    The Mysterious Benefactor
    The Mysterious Benefactor

Post by Peeky Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:51 am

back on topic or Ill ban everyone who just crashed the conversation for 2 days starting with Lee(cos you were the one who descended the thread into madness)
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:55 am

Sax or brass wireless/clip on mics - advise appreciated Vic_Bob_Handbags
    RyanCantFly
    RyanCantFly
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by RyanCantFly Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:59 pm

I've always thought that wireless mics on brass make the band look disorganised on stage, with brass players wandering all over the place while they play, plus unless you opt for a really expensive wireless mics, normal mics on stands will usually sound better and you have more control over your sound.
    suzyska
    suzyska
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by suzyska Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:14 pm

In Munky Punch our sax players used to have them. It was better for them because it meant less mic stands on stage - they used to have to have two - one for singing and one for sax (because of the different heights). Better when space is limited and defo better from a photographer's point of view - brass is a nightmare to photograph as the mic stands always get in the way Razz

Can't remember the make though but they were decent and I'd recommend using them if you are a brass player who likes to dance around and sing as well (so needs two mics)/in a large band with limited space on stage.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 am