Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Reel Big Moose
Wreckless Jake
MidlandsDan
Steff
Jess
elliemon
therur
Parg
christinamarie
iamemmao
Foxxe
Cap'n Lee
scottus86
17 posters

Dreams/Dreaming

scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Dreams/Dreaming Empty Dreams/Dreaming

Post by scottus86 Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Tell us about your dreams, and dreaming experiances.... apart from wreckless jake, they're probably just about having sex with "hot" women.

I had a wierd one last night, I was at work and had locked up the shop, but people broke in and we're doing their shopping, and we're getting angry at me because I was trying to explain how the shop was shut and that they wouldn't be able to buy their shopping because its half 11 and the tills had shutdown, and I was getting very angry, and more and more people just kept shouting at me and it just ended up in a big shouting argument, at which point I woke up and thought "huh, that was odd"

then I wnet back to sleep and dreamt I was sat on a really high floor of a football stadium and the wind kept trying to blow me off the edge where there was no barrier.

Is there a place to see what dreams mean on the internets?
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Dreams/Dreaming Empty Re: Dreams/Dreaming

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:00 pm

scottus86 wrote:then I wnet back to sleep and dreamt I was sat on a really high floor of a football stadium and the wind kept trying to blow me off the edge where there was no barrier.

thats a common one, it's apparently something to do with feeling as though you don't have enough control over your life. I used to get that one a lot when i was a kid, but it was riding a bike through the quarry near where i grew up and no matter where i steered i was still heading for the cliff edge.

i can't think of any of my dreams off the top of my head, but i often have waking dreams, when i wake up, i continue to dream for 30 seconds to a minute before my head clears and i realise it isn't real. I remember once there was a meccano insect, about a foot to a foot and a half long flying from the corner of my room towards me. It flew using helicopter blades that were it's middle section.kind of like a spinning tutu or something.

dreams aren't about what they're about so much as what happens in dreams provides similar feelings to how you have been feeling, so it's all open to interpretation.
    Foxxe
    Foxxe
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Foxxe Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:46 pm

I don't dream much because I smoke too much weed, especially before bed, which seems to either stop me dreaming or just stops me remembering them at all. However last night I went to bed relatively sober and had a dream about gettin busted for smokin weed, which was somewhat ironic I guess?
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:00 pm

I keep waking up thinking I've dreamt about people texting me, but once I've woken up properly and what not, I discover that people have actually text me and I've just read their texts while I've been half asleep in the wee early hours of the morning. Its happened quite a lot over the last week or so...

Don't think I've had a proper dream for a while... but my sleeping pattern has been all over the place lately!

Used to love having dreams when you fall, then wake up and you get that weird jerking feeling...
    christinamarie
    christinamarie
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by christinamarie Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:46 pm

I went through a phase, which lasted possibly about 8 years, where 98% of the time my dreams involved celebrities/bands etc.
    Apparently it means you worry about being stuck in the background, not really being confident and thinking people don't notice you. I only found this out after I dyed my hair blue, and have always had issues with thinking people don't remember me even if I've met them on several occasions, and when my friend told me I realised I don't dream about them nearly as much anymore, since I guess I no longer think people don't recognise me.

the other night I had a dream I was getting chased by a paedophile with a gun. I don't know what that means.
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:12 pm

I had a dream where I lost my hat. It was quite distressing.
    scottus86
    scottus86
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by scottus86 Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Does anyone ever have those dream where you're walking down the street the you're suddenly naked n like AAAAAAAHHHHHH I'M NAKED! or the ones when your on the way to the shop, but its actually impossible to get there, or similar stuff.
    therur
    therur
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by therur Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:10 pm

haha i actually have had the naked one before, it horrible, especially seeing as though i dreamt it was in school
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 pm

i had a funny dream this morning that i was in some big house with a group of people but not my family, and there was this really cool room on the top floor and it was really cosy with loads of interesting books, food and things & a good view to a starry sky and things haha yeah and there was this dumbledore/gandalf-type character, more personality wise though - not like wizardy, beardy or realllly old (though he was my senior). and i kept sneaking past his room up to this room at the top of the house to get some crackers to eat but he kept catching me and kinda telling me off in a friendly way and sending me back to my room! :S odd

aren't all dreams odd? i used to dream quite often i was in bed at a B&B looking at the ceiling and there'd be those black beams with white walls and they'd shift across the ceiling, changing in thickness and where they lined up and it scared the HELL out of me! no idea why but it was the scariest thing when i dreamt it
    Jess
    Jess
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Jess Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:30 pm

Jeezo, everyone goes on about those 'turned up and I was completely naked' dream but I've never had one! Mine are always very, very bizarre, although I don't really dream as much now as I usually basically die when I go to sleep and magically resuscitate myself in the morning.

ch-ch-ch-ch-check it out!- http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

wh-wh-wh-wh-what's it all about?!
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:06 am

Dreams don't mean anything. Sorry.

although for the sake of a almost interesting story I used to have one dream when I was a kid where I was in a computer game with a robot chasing me trying to squish me with a big mallet. Like pacman but with sir killalot from robot wars instead of ghosts.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:10 am

iamemmao wrote:
    Used to love having dreams when you fall, then wake up and you get that weird jerking feeling...

Truth. The adrenaline rush is great. Love that shit. Like a roller coaster in my bed.

Parg wrote:I had a dream where I lost my hat. It was quite distressing.

Very Happy Have you seen Millers Crossing? Its all about peoples hats, in a way. You should check it out.
    Wreckless Jake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Wreckless Jake Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:31 am

I've never had one of those falling dreams, would love to have one for the 'rush'.

I never remember my dreams, they usually involve completely random events that just dont correspond. Either that or sex.
    christinamarie
    christinamarie
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by christinamarie Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:35 am

I think I've only had about 4 sex dreams in my life, one of which was with Rachel from Friends on the couch in her flat. That doesn't mean anything.

However pretty much every second night I get that jerking feeling, a lot of the times I'm not even asleep when it happens, it's horrible, I always feel like I'm about to have a heart attack. /major hypochondriac
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:42 am

I've had some dreams.
    Wreckless Jake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Wreckless Jake Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:43 am

Yeah, the sex dreams are rare, but they are ones that I can remember, if you know what I mean.

I also hate the ones were you are dreaming about doing something that 'in the dream' is the worst possible anti-christ act you can commit, and you wake up being extremely paranoid and dont have the ability to sleep, its horrible.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:48 am

Wreckless Jake wrote:Yeah, the sex dreams are rare, but they are ones that I can remember, if you know what I mean.

I never dream about sex because I am a stone cold psychopath.

Also such dreams would only lead to disappointment on awaking UNLESS they were lucid...which leads me to LUCID DREAMING. My mate does this to a small extent and doesn't realise how lucky he is to have such a gift, if he developed it he could really have some fun.

Here, read for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream
    Wreckless Jake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by Wreckless Jake Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:53 am

MidlandsDan wrote:
    Wreckless Jake wrote:Yeah, the sex dreams are rare, but they are ones that I can remember, if you know what I mean.

I never dream about sex because I am a stone cold psychopath.

Also such dreams would only lead to disappointment on awaking UNLESS they were lucid...which leads me to LUCID DREAMING. My mate does this to a small extent and doesn't realise how lucky he is to have such a gift, if he developed it he could really have some fun.

Here, read for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream
    Damn, that wouldbe incredible, imagine that, Id have a bloody field day.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:55 am

Fucks sake, you can sprout wings and soar over the earth and so on.
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:22 am

Jess wrote:ch-ch-ch-ch-check it out

wh-wh-wh-wh-what's it all about?!

Work-wa-work-work-work-wa-work it out

Let's turn this motherfuckin' party out!
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:38 am

christinamarie wrote:However pretty much every second night I get that jerking feeling, a lot of the times I'm not even asleep when it happens, it's horrible, I always feel like I'm about to have a heart attack. /major hypochondriac

everyone else has ignored you to talk about wreckless jake's dreams, maybe people do overlook you!? (or maybe if you were an american pie stereotype you'd be getting all his attention instead)

thats completely normal, what it is is checking if your body is in a fit state for sleep, if it was you wouldn't get the jerking feeling (ie wouldn't react) apparantly, it's dangerous for your mind to sleep while your body is still active, this is you making sure that doesn't happen.
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:08 am

huh?? i think i get what your saying but i'm not sure..

also i dont agree with steff's dismissal of dreams meaning anything - who's to know??!

but i remembered some other dream things too! does anyone ever dream about just a repetitive action or something? like say something hung up swinging from side to side, over and over? i used to dream things like that and i'd become aware and try to stop it repeating but it never would and it'd wind me up big styyyle!

i've dreamt about flying a fair bit too. it feels awesome!! and i have real good control over it! so odd! Very Happy

aaaand speaking about dreaming.. i'm going to bed now Smile night night everyone!
    Reel Big Moose
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Reel Big Moose Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:35 am

goodnight mrs wolf
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:19 am

Ok they don't mean -nothing- but dream dictionaries are bullshit along the same lines as tarrot cards.

I dreampt about an onion, this must mean my wife is about to leave me. Oh look, I'm dreaming about a woman cooking rice, that means I should spend more time with my family.
    I don't go for any of that stuff at all, THEY BE STEALIN YOUR MONEYS.

New Scientist wrote: "The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to a knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind." So said Sigmund Freud. Today, most researchers reject his belief that dreams are expressions of our unconscious desires, but the fascination with why we dream is stronger than ever.

Dreams are not meaningless, and they are certainly not useless. For a start, they are crucial for processing emotions. "Dreams modulate the emotions - they keep them within a certain range," says Patrick McNamara of Boston University. New research has found that naps consolidate emotional memories - and the greater the amount of rapid-eye-movement (REM) dream sleep, the greater the processing of these memories (Cerebral Cortex, vol 19, p 1158).

One idea is that REM dreams allow us to relive powerful emotional memories, but without the rush of stress hormones that accompanied the real experience (New Scientist, 21 February, p 34). In this way, we keep the memory but the emotion accompanying it gradually lessens.
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:33 am

Once I dreamt that I was in an industrial freezer with a psychobilly fan (who looked nothing like a psychobilly fan) wearing a drink's company T-shirt (7 Up or some shit). Basically I had payed for some kind of experience of something, I dunno. Anyway the upshot is we ended up munching on slabs of frozen gammon.

Interpret that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am