Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

The Hijacks - Consuming Our Compassion

Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

The Hijacks - Consuming Our Compassion Empty The Hijacks - Consuming Our Compassion

Post by Summers Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:54 pm

The Hijacks - Consuming Our Compassion L_c34c37751eb341b28a9e8a8d80e504-1
    Consuming Our Compassion
    The Hijacks
    GFN? Records, 2009.

If you asked me what my favourite thing about Scotland was, i'd say deep fried pizzas. If you asked me for a top 10, then The Hijacks would probably be in there somewhere. Hailing from the inexplicably northern city of Aberdeen, The Hijacks somehow managed to cross the border into England to record this new 3 track EP with Manchester producer supremo TimG earlier this year. Isn't there a wall to keep the scots out? What happened to that?

You know what my only real complaint about this CD is going to be? It's only slightly over 7 minutes long. I could barely cook an egg before it finished. 3 tracks of raucous, motivating and abrasive ska punk is what those 7 minutes contain, and it really, really isn't enough. From the jangly opening guitars of Wars, Invasions (Love Your Nation) we're given huge singalong moments, catchy brass lines, and a tri vocal attack that never fails to impress. They're a band with a lot to say, and you find yourself hanging off every word (and then wanting to shout them at the top of your lungs). There's no real stand out track and no real choruses to speak of, but you'll definitely find that various portions of the songs will become lodged in your subconscious. Passionate, catchy and fun. Now PLEASE record an album.

SkaMutiny Rating - 4/5

Summers
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

The Hijacks - Consuming Our Compassion Empty Re: The Hijacks - Consuming Our Compassion

Post by Al Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:10 pm

Just enough to whet the appetite, hey?

Good work on the CD reviews, Mr Summers. Slowly but surely bolstering the numbers.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 pm