Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
lightowler
Summers
6 posters

Resolution 242 - "S/T"

Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Resolution 242 - "S/T" Empty Resolution 242 - "S/T"

Post by Summers Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Resolution 242 - "S/T" Resolution242

Resolution 242
    Resolution 242
    (Do The Dog Records, 2009)

Resolution 242 are a politically driven 4 piece from Stratford Upon Avon, sounding reminiscent of The King Blues before they lost the anger and started appearing on the front covers of national publications. Combining beautiful laid back harmonies with a rousing folky protest vibe, they take us through 8 tracks of dub and folk influenced ska punk.

So, personally, i'm not massive on political punk. Call it ignorance, call it apathy, or just put it down to the fact that i quite enjoy a McDonalds now and then. It all seems to be mindless cliches and needless anger, directed at outlets that the artists really aren't that well informed about. So this is the point where the review either goes the way of me lumping Resolution 242 in with these rabble rousers, or deciding that actually, they do a pretty good job of it.

Surprise surprise, Resolution 242 DO know what they're on about, and do a brilliant job of articulating their thoughts and feelings, offering the perfect compliment to their finely crafted tunes. And there's a refreshing sense of humour amidst the bile and venom, my favourite lyric being from the harmonica driven acoustic number I.M.F (which Google tells me is the International Monetary Fund - see, I wasn't joking when i said i wasn't clued up) where they declare: 'We'd rid this poverty, and all get Monday mornings free.'

Separating the music from the lyrics, they can shift from acoustic folk to summery dub quite easily, and without it sounding stale or repetetive. Even though a fair number of the tracks clock in over 4 minutes, there's really no sense that they ever overstay their welcome, hooking you in with huge vocal hooks. Opener Bullets In The Ground is a perfect example with it's catchy 'Rise Up, Rise Up' outro. The layered vocal harmonies and sublime grooves just suck you in, hypnotising you with catchy simplicity.

My only issue would be really that Resolution 242 aren't really offering anything new to a genre which has suddenly been thrust into the limelight with the success of their contemporaries The King Blues and The Skints. Whereas The Skints manage to expertly combine laid back reggae with aggressive punk, Resolution 242 really only stick to one speed. The wisdom in the lyrics and voice samples scattered without combined with perfect singalong summer tunes will ensure Resolution 242 are the soundtrack to many a music lovers Summer, and it's a guarantee this CD will be playing in my car for the long sunny drives the Summer promises.

SkaMutiny Rating 4/5

Summers

Last edited by Summers on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Resolution 242 - "S/T" Empty Re: Resolution 242 - "S/T"

Post by lightowler Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Oh looks some one whos not even in team review posting a review :p

nice rev summers
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:05 am

Summers wrote:

My only issue would be really that Resolution 242 aren't really offering anything new to a genre which has suddenly been thrust into the limelight with the success of their contemporaries The King Blues and The Skints. Whereas The Skints manage to expertly combine laid back reggae with aggressive punk, Resolution 242 really only stick to one speed.[/b]

But they are very young, so who knows where they will develop from here...
    Al
    Al
    Review King
    Review King

Post by Al Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:35 am

Is this the mastered version of the E.P. that was made available for free download recently?

i.e. Tracklisting:

1. Bullets In the Ground
    2. I.M.F.
    3. B.N.P.
    4. War Crimes
    5. Gaza Dub
    6. PIGS
    7. Poets Town
    8. War
    adam242
    adam242
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by adam242 Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:31 am

Yeah it is the one which was made downloadable recently

x
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:37 am

Is it still up for download and/or where can I get me a download? Britain's Nasty Politics is an epic song.
    adam242
    adam242
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by adam242 Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:48 am

Cheers geeza

Na basically we put it up for download for one day then we got picked up by Do the Dog! so its now coming out by physical release in about a week by them

x
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:27 pm

I really do like this cd rather a lot, even more on repeat listens. I upgraded them to 4 stars, since 3.5 is a bit of a cop out.

I think i'm more impressed to learn that they recorded it in a bedroom, it sounds really good!
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:54 pm

Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:08 pm

haha, they linked me to it before, awesome stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am