Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

How do record sales work?

The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

How do record sales work? Empty How do record sales work?

Post by The Amazing Fletch Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I've been thinking, how do record sales work? Does the artist get a percentage of each individual sale? Do they get a lump sum pay-off by the record company based on their estimate of how well a record will do? How long does a record have to be released before an artist no longer sees any money?

Say, for example, I bought Cliff Richard's debut album 'Cliff' which was released in the late 50s. Would Sir Cliff see any of the £3.59 that I would pay for it?

Does he get a payslip every month saying how much he has earned from an album he made over half a century ago? I hope it would say something like, "One person has bought your debut album this month. Here's your share of £3.59."

So many questions.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

How do record sales work? Empty Re: How do record sales work?

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:26 pm

all of this should be prefaced with the word 'traditionally' as exceptions occur, but this is how it works with your average band/major publisher.

the publisher pays up front the money to finance the cd, they pay for the studio time, supply money for instruments, usually money for a big tour.

The album is sold and a percentage of the album's sale is given as a royalty to the band. However, before the band can make any money, all of the money that the label paid up front needs to be paid back.

I'm sure you've heard the old phrase that 9/10 bands on a label don't turn a profit, this is why. The label itself has made 10 times back what it invested before the band is considered turning a profit.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:39 pm

ive hunted down something i read about this a few years back

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

it covers more than just the money side of things but it does cover the whole thing from this guys POV
    The Amazing Fletch
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Wow, just what I was after. Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm