Let's talk about Libya

The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Let's talk about Libya

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I don't know if you've heard, but the people in charge of Libya have been deemed by the bigger boys to be not fit for purpose. I'd just like to know people's opinion on the matter, particularly Britain's - and the rest of the world's - role in military operations over Libya's skies.
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Re: Let's talk about Libya

Post by Cap'n Lee on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:15 pm

was the title of this a jab at streetlight steve?
    if so, i approve

although I understand Gaddafi to be a bad'n, he has consistently been a bad'n for a long time, and this didn't stop us selling him arms to keep him in power.
    There is no way I can get behind Britain helping the people take back Libya when they have actively helped him stay in power previously. I don't know if this is just an attempt to not be an enemy of new Libya or whether it is more of an effort to put someone of their choosing in power, but this is in the military's interests for the same reason as keeping him in power was.
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

Post by The Amazing Fletch on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:54 pm

I don't really approve but it's mainly for economic reasons rather than political. To be honest I couldn't really care less. It just seems to be a case of whoever shouts loudest gets heard. How can the UN justify action against Libya but not the other issues that are happening in the same area, such as Bahrain? From an economic point of view, our armed forces are stretched as it is. Bombs are expensive and the money used to replenish the stock would be better spent elsewhere in the military and out of it.

I'm also slightly annoyed from a strategic perspective. I've been pissed off about the scrapping of our aircraft carriers and the aircraft on them since the cuts were announced. I'm no general but I see aircraft carriers as a key part of Britain's military strength. It takes a Tornado fighter jet about 1 hour to fly to Libya from the airbase in Sicily. Do you know what takes less than 1 hour to fly from? The fucking mediterranean sea.

Also, the Libyan rebels don't want troops on the ground. The military operation would be much more efficient if we could establish an airfield in Libya to fly from, and you can't do that without a land-based military.

Anyway, rant over. All this "I know better" attitude has got me back into Civ 5.
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm

at work the boss asked ric what the church's take on libya was

phil shouted over "about 20%"

ba-dum-tssh

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:39 pm