Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Rage Against The Machine's debut album cover...

Mod Henry
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Rage Against The Machine's debut album cover... Empty Rage Against The Machine's debut album cover...

Post by Mod Henry Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:59 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while. On the cover of RATM's first album is Thích Quảng Đức setting himself on fire in protest against the Vietnam government's treatment of Buddism. Now, the problem I have are Rage implying their music is as powerful as that action, and that them standing on stage is as much a protest? Are they saying this world is full of evil but also protest and the music and songs reflect the protest? If so, do they think they're good enough musically and lyrically to express the emotion and heroism of a man willing to set himself on fire for his beliefs? I know RATM's songs are very uncompromising, there is anger and reistance in the lyrics but does a album of songs that people dance to really equate to a man who literally self-immolation?

Bascially I'm wondering if RATM (or any band) have the right to put something so extreme on their mechendise?

I don't know if there's a differance to singing about real life events (Holiday in Cambodia, Sandinista! album, The Streets Are Ours) compared to featuring the radical image so directly.
    therur
    therur
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Rage Against The Machine's debut album cover... Empty Re: Rage Against The Machine's debut album cover...

Post by therur Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:23 pm

The main problem i have with bands like RATM is that sometimes they can go too far with the whole protest thing. I mean, i can see how they want to get their point across but it IS possible to do this without being so extreme. Rise against are another good example, not for the music but for the things they say in concert and on interviews etc.

So yeah i agree with you on this one, i do like rage and i think the lyrics can be very clever. but often i find myself asking "is it really necessary?".

anyway thats my view

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm