Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Mod Henry
dbarefeet
ba-ba
elliemon
Cap'n Lee
Peeky
NotRich
Summers
12 posters

Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed

Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed Empty Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed

Post by Summers Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:08 pm

Is proper rubbish.

Discuss.
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed Empty Re: Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed

Post by NotRich Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 pm

I want it, I want it, I want it.

I also don't trust any of your musical opinions. EVER.

Except your love of Andrew WK.
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:11 pm

It's proper disappointing, and i'm a big Franky T fan.
    Peeky
    Peeky
    The Mysterious Benefactor
    The Mysterious Benefactor

Post by Peeky Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Summers wrote:It's proper disappointing, and i'm a big Franky T fan.

I have heard multiple reports of disappointment. Will give it a listen and judge for myself tonight.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:21 pm

proper rubbish

haven't heard it
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 pm

I prefer Frank's truly solo songs, with just him and his trusty guitar. I've heard this is all a full band affair? I'm not a fan of that, and it does make me cautious about listening to this album and being severely disappointed.

I'd like to see him do an album of proper solo material, coupled with a small-venue tour.
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Joe's been playing it a lot so i nicked it off his laptop before he disappeared to europe.

put it on last night and was really enjoying the first half but then got bored. maybe it's because joe's played the first bit alot already so i know it and can sing along but i dunno! maybe the second half just isn't memorable.

would put it on again now but i cba. am enjoying cave in right now. (another steal from joseph Very Happy)
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:48 pm

I just think there's a lot of really wet songs on it, and definitely not enough big acoustic anthemic stuff.
    ba-ba
    ba-ba
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by ba-ba Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 pm

I've been told that whilst Sleep is for the Week was about how being political through music didn't really work(?), then Love, Ire's message was 'Fuck it, we can be political if we want', that this is taking it to the next step: 'fuck it, lets just have fun'

Still, yet to listen to it, need to get my hands on it before I see him in Manc.
    dbarefeet
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by dbarefeet Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:16 am

i like it, i like his voice so ill like it regardless of arrangements. problem i have is the production could be better, considering i thinkk he went to america to record it? and the distorted guitar full band style just doesnt have the right feel. I personally LOVE the full band thing as long as full band is just like bass drums and perculiar isntruments like most of love ire and song, but the electric feel just isnt right.

D
    Mod Henry
    Mod Henry
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Mod Henry Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:06 am

I love his first two albums but this is lacking. His skill was story-tellng and spinning webs of how the world is, his perspectives on this Britian. But this...yawn...nothing to it. Just doesn't click. Doesn't do anything. He's not telling me anything, there's no stories, no adventure, no excitment. It's not folk-punk anymore, just straight sort of 'rock'. I'm seeing him in Leeds in October so we'll see how it works live but I doubt it'll translate.

For years he's been singing about having his burnout...and he's finally had it!
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:46 am

Yeah, what Henry said!
    MidlandsDan
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by MidlandsDan Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:32 am

ba-ba wrote:about how being political through music didn't really work...'Fuck it, we can be political if we want',...'fuck it, lets just have fun'

Just sounds like some drunk guy ranting doesn't it? Twisted Evil
    Marc
    New Recruit
    New Recruit

Post by Marc Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:31 pm

I agree with the first 4 or so tracks being good and then everything else getting boring. I've been playing it a lot anyway and the other tracks have grown on me a little. Still not quite convinced yet though. First 4 tracks + Journey of the Magi are all good right away imo. The rest are slow growers.

I still don't think there are any bad songs on there. It just not as good as before. 5 Tracks is enough to populate this album's representation during a live show anyway so I won't complain.
    veganfishcake
    Ships Cook
    Ships Cook

Post by veganfishcake Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:29 pm

I haven't bought it yet as I live near no shops that sell it, I aint seen Frank live recently and I try and avoid buying things online! So, when I do buy it, I hope it's up to cratch with his other work.

In other news, has anyone ever listened to Frank's old old band Kneejerk?
    You can download all of Kneejerk's songs at www.last.fm/music/kneejerk. Some old teenage photos of Frank playing bass there!
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm sure i've got Kneejerk stuff, and Million Dead stuff, but i've just never been able to get into it as i did Franky T's solo work. It's obviously a lot less accesible than the over earnest folk punk he likes to play nowadays.
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:55 pm

I like it, but it's not as good as 'Love, Ire and Song'. The songs on 'Poetry..' don't seem to have the depth that some of the tracks on that did and there's a couple of very not great ones going on. Still like it though Smile

I LOVE 'Dan's Song' though, that song is awesome.
    ba-ba
    ba-ba
    Cabin Boy
    Cabin Boy

Post by ba-ba Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:19 pm

listened to it a few times, so far think it's OK, but not a patch on Love Ire. Still only listened twice, so plenty of time to grow.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm