Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
rockers
Francis
veganfishcake
tyrannosaurusben
MidlandsDan
detachedska
Steff
Parg
MangoSkeejykins
iamemmao
Furious D
elliemon
Summers
Cap'n Lee
lightowler
NotRich
20 posters

Twitter anyone?

NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Twitter anyone? Empty Twitter anyone?

Post by NotRich Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:32 pm

@skamutiny Does anyone on here Tweet? I'm getting more into it. Very simple ideas that work very well. Better than other "social networking" sites anyways.

My username is nonstoprich

Feel free to post up your usernames fo' following.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Twitter anyone? Empty Re: Twitter anyone?

Post by lightowler Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:37 pm

@no
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:42 pm

twitter is for big fat party animals and big eared victims of domestic abuse, and rich doesn't look much like a big fat party animal to me Sad
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:25 pm

More like shitter.

Twitter anyone? 865997
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:28 pm

hahah!

i dont get twitter. isn't it just like facebook's status updates but without all the other cool stuff?
    Summers
    Summers
    Large and In Charge
    Large and In Charge

Post by Summers Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:33 pm

That's pretty much it, i don't really get the appeal.
    Furious D
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

Post by Furious D Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:34 pm

We've got a band one, I guess it's the in thing at the moment and it's a good way to reach people. That said, I'm not gonna have my own one, it's more useless than Myspace!
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:35 pm

plus when i go on facebook - i'm not even much of a browser. if someone speaks directly to me i'll check it out but if not, i leave.. so the idea of just getting updates of random stuff from other people doesnt really appeal. why do i need to know?

plus it's just another thing to check - another job to do!

i think i'm gonna cut back on stuff soon. delete my old email & myspace and stuff so there's fewer things to deal with.. but not skamutiny of course!! Very Happy
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Twitter is essentially an update of what you're doing, but in less than 140 characters.

The main benefit as far as I see it is that it feels much more "real-time" than Facebook. Because it's so easy to update (via any one of a bajillion applications for phones/mobile devices and even texts) people tend to send multiple updates each day, making everything much more up-to-the-minute. Facebook and Myspace pages don't get updated for weeks/months a lot of the time, i know I haven't updated any of my info in ages on either, and Twitter cuts out a lot of the bullshit, and just sticks to what's relevant right now.

It's a fantastic tool for those that want to get quick info out to a LOT of people very easily too.

It's also not always as basic as is assumed. Once you get using it you work out all the additional things that are of use.

For example, "Music Monday" has emerged on Twitter, and this is how it works;

The message I post is:

"#musicmonday Random Hand - Inhale/Exhale"

The # acts as a tag on Twitter, therefore anyone that performs a search on #musicmonday will see my post come up in the results, and they may well want to go along and check out the music i've suggested.

It's easy to get into, and cuts out ALL of the bullshit of Myspace and Facebook.
    No adverts. No applications. No spam messages

Jump on board people!

*disclaimer: I do NOT work for Twitter.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:52 pm

tbh sounds like uv been waching to much sex in the city, go put some shelfs up or something
    iamemmao
    iamemmao
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by iamemmao Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm on twitter...

My mate told me to join up, initially I didn't really see the point of it, just seemed like the facebook update thing... but then I got quite into it and tweet random crap regularly...

I'm not very interesting.. but if you want to follow me my username is iamemmao
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:07 am

lightowler wrote:tbh sounds like uv been waching to much sex in the city, go put some shelfs up or something

It's not Manly Moustache Monday yet. That's a week on Monday.
    In fact i'll try to get that going as a Tweeting trend
    elliemon
    elliemon
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by elliemon Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 am

to the tweeters amongst us - do you actually read the tweets of other people your following? i could imagine the tweeting yourself being quite addictive but i dont think anyone would really care to read them. i dunno..!
    MangoSkeejykins
    MangoSkeejykins
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by MangoSkeejykins Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:47 am

some media related jobs are starting to require to have a certain amount of followers now!
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 am

elliemon wrote:to the tweeters amongst us - do you actually read the tweets of other people your following? i could imagine the tweeting yourself being quite addictive but i dont think anyone would really care to read them. i dunno..!

this is exactly the point. i use to rant about it all the time on ska community, there were a few posters who, without fail, would ignore all conversation in a thread to post up their information. it really pissed me off, "i don't care what you post, but i know that everyone is interested in what you have to say".

when you've got 5 people doing that in a thread is one thing, a site with a few millio naccounts is just fucking scary
    Parg
    Parg
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by Parg Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:57 pm

I have a twitter account and follow webcomics and bands. There's only 10 altogether so I use chirpr in the Vista sidebar. I don't tweet myself though.
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:03 pm

elliemon wrote:to the tweeters amongst us - do you actually read the tweets of other people your following? i could imagine the tweeting yourself being quite addictive but i dont think anyone would really care to read them. i dunno..!

I spend much more time reading other people's tweets than updating my own.

When you log in to Twitter you're always shown the latest tweets from everyone you're following, and I tend to read through those, comment on anything I might want to and then update.

Every social networking site relies on the self indulgence of it's members to update the world as to what they're doing, but Twitter isn't anywhere near as much like this.

Because everything is in little bitesized chunks, you're much more inclined to read what someone else has got to say, rather than having to read an essay each time someone updates.

Facebook and Myspace are much more heavily weighted to telling the world what you're doing without having to pay any attention to what anyone else is doing around you. Twitter redresses the balance and manages to put a bit more weight behind paying attention to others before yourself.

Plus Stephen Fry's updates are fantastic 99.9% of the time:

"En route to LHR for Bavaria and second leg of Wagner documentary. M4 traffic is an arse pig."

"Headache. Faint nausea. Wobbliness. All the symptoms of a hangover. But surely I wasn't dr... oh. Yes. That's right. I was. I did. Hm."
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm going to sign up to twitter to 'see what all the fuss is about'. +1 commission to notrich.
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:32 pm

NotRich wrote:

When you log in to Twitter you're always shown the latest tweets from everyone you're following, and I tend to read through those, comment on anything I might want to and then update.

Every social networking site relies on the self indulgence of it's members to update the world as to what they're doing, but Twitter isn't anywhere near as much like this.

Because everything is in little bitesized chunks, you're much more inclined to read what someone else has got to say, rather than having to read an essay each time someone updates.

Facebook and Myspace are much more heavily weighted to telling the world what you're doing without having to pay any attention to what anyone else is doing around you. Twitter redresses the balance and manages to put a bit more weight behind paying attention to others before yourself.

"En route to LHR for Bavaria and second leg of Wagner documentary. M4 traffic is an arse pig."

"Headache. Faint nausea. Wobbliness. All the symptoms of a hangover. But surely I wasn't dr... oh. Yes. That's right. I was. I did. Hm."

tl;dr
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:40 pm

Cap'n Lee wrote:
    NotRich wrote:

tl;dr

Twitter anyone? Cwatud10

Last edited by Steff on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Cap'n Lee
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Cap'n Lee Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Twitter anyone? Whatyoudidthereiseeit
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:53 pm

damn my slow fixing
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

Post by Steff Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:33 pm

ok, twitter is shit. I'm now somewhat confused as to what the fuss is about.
    lightowler
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

Post by lightowler Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:35 pm

since no one else has,
    tl;dr
    rich like fagy social networking sites even though he doent come to the pub nearly enough but its ok beacuse you should never question Stephen Fry
    NotRich
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

Post by NotRich Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:39 pm

That's woman's a reet spca.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 am