HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Share
    avatar
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 1029

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Reel Big Moose on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:22 pm

    Cap'n Lee wrote:
    Reel Big Moose wrote:the roots of welsh are in wales.

    as very little about welsh i know, i know you're bullshitting. its all based on old british, before the vikings. when they took over from the east coast, the english fled west, hence welsh and cornish.

    and the new language was formed by all the different tribes who joined together in wales and cornwall (and later ireland) it wasnt a pre-existing language, it was formed in wales and the west country.
    avatar
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 3051
    Age : 19
    Location : Leeds

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Cap'n Lee on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:16 pm

    Wikipedia wrote:Welsh evolved from British, the Celtic language spoken by the ancient Britons.

    hey, what do you know, wikipedia thinks you're bullshitting too


    clicky clicky
    avatar
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

    Posts : 587
    Age : 32
    Location : Behind you

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Furious D on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:25 pm

    First of all, being wrong and bullshitting are two different things, surely?

    Secondly - From what I can tell, Dave isn't disagreeing with you as such, just saying that it began in Wales, as in it literally began in Wales, with the British words.

    Thirdly - Wikipedia also says: "it is not clear when Welsh became distinct." So noone can be completely sure that it didn't 'begin' in Wales either.


    So shut up you flower.
    avatar
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

    Posts : 641
    Age : 27
    Location : Carmarthen, South Wales

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Steff on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:30 pm

    Just be happy that you didn't heave to learn cynghanedd in school, when a random welsh nationalist somehow got in and pretended to be a teacher.

    shudder
    avatar
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 1029

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Reel Big Moose on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:35 pm

    what dimmers said, plus im fairly sure wales is in britain?
    avatar
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 3051
    Age : 19
    Location : Leeds

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Cap'n Lee on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:48 pm

    Furious D wrote:First of all, being wrong and bullshitting are two different things, surely?
    they are, but don't call me shirley


    Furious D wrote:Secondly - From what I can tell, Dave isn't disagreeing with you as such, just saying that it began in Wales, as in it literally began in Wales, with the British words.
    then saying "the roots of welsh are in wales" would be a silly thing to say.

    Furious D wrote:Thirdly - Wikipedia also says: "it is not clear when Welsh became distinct." So noone can be completely sure that it didn't 'begin' in Wales either..
    if it seperated then it can't be it's own unique language, i think you've joined into this a little late, dave said that welsh is a proper language while english is just a bunch of other languages taped together (paraphrasing). my point is that it isn't a seperate entity, and fair enough, we don't know when it became distinct, but saying it does at all is in my favour.
    avatar
    NotRich
    Deck Hand
    Deck Hand

    Posts : 399
    Age : 34
    Location : Leeds

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by NotRich on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 pm

    avatar
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 3051
    Age : 19
    Location : Leeds

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Cap'n Lee on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:05 pm

    sorry rich, all of the threads can't be about spunge though
    avatar
    The Amazing Fletch
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 2316
    Age : 32
    Location : Somewhere hotter than you.

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by The Amazing Fletch on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:24 pm

    Cap'n Lee wrote:

    What is this?
    avatar
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

    Posts : 1694
    Age : 31

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by lightowler on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 pm

    ba dum tish
    avatar
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

    Posts : 587
    Age : 32
    Location : Behind you

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Furious D on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:11 am

    Cap'n Lee wrote:
    Furious D wrote:First of all, being wrong and bullshitting are two different things, surely?
    they are, but don't call me shirley

    Glad we agree

    Cap'n Lee wrote:
    Furious D wrote:Secondly - From what I can tell, Dave isn't disagreeing with you as such, just saying that it began in Wales, as in it literally began in Wales, with the British words.
    then saying "the roots of welsh are in wales" would be a silly thing to say.

    Nope, not when talking about where it literally began, the physical place, rather than the words. If Welsh didn't become Welsh until it was within Wales, then it began in Wales.

    Cap'n Lee wrote:
    Furious D wrote:Thirdly - Wikipedia also says: "it is not clear when Welsh became distinct." So noone can be completely sure that it didn't 'begin' in Wales either..

    if it seperated then it can't be it's own unique language, i think you've joined into this a little late, dave said that welsh is a proper language while english is just a bunch of other languages taped together (paraphrasing). my point is that it isn't a seperate entity, and fair enough, we don't know when it became distinct, but saying it does at all is in my favour.
    [/quote]

    Joined late or not, I'm not arguing about the origins of Welsh, merely saying that a lot of your points are similarly ambiguous to Dave's. I'm just thinking that you can't really argue something as fact when it's not known as fact. To be honest from the looks of things there's some confusion as to what each party's point is getting at. I'm sorry I called you a flower, but you can be a right flower.
    avatar
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 1029

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Reel Big Moose on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:58 am

    I love when I make a throwaway remark n lee turns it into a huge debate. Lee surely does love to argue.
    avatar
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 3051
    Age : 19
    Location : Leeds

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Cap'n Lee on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 am

    then why defend it so strongly if it was just a throwaway comment? it takes two to argue, i didn't ask you for a response.

    you damn right i like to argue, but i'm not the only one!
    avatar
    lightowler
    Sexie AN orsume
    Sexie AN orsume

    Posts : 1694
    Age : 31

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by lightowler on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:36 am

    Reel Big Moose wrote:I love when I make a throwaway remark n lee turns it into a mass debate.
    avatar
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

    Posts : 641
    Age : 27
    Location : Carmarthen, South Wales

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Steff on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:55 pm

    lightowler wrote:
    Reel Big Moose wrote:I love when I make a throwaway remark n lee turns it into a mass debate.


    avatar
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

    Posts : 587
    Age : 32
    Location : Behind you

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Furious D on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:08 pm

    Haha
    avatar
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 1029

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Reel Big Moose on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 am

    im a sucker for a rise
    avatar
    MidlandsDan
    First Mate
    First Mate

    Posts : 674
    Age : 29

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by MidlandsDan on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:33 am

    Blah blah Welsh blah blah English blah blah origins blah blah Cornish blah blah linguistics blah blah I fucked your sister when you were out buying dinner blah blah debates blah blah etc. etc. etc.
    avatar
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

    Posts : 587
    Age : 32
    Location : Behind you

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Furious D on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:05 am

    Not into the spirit of debate then?
    avatar
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 1029

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Reel Big Moose on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 am

    i know a fair few people whose idea of debate is just mocking the other person like that tbf
    avatar
    Steff
    First Mate
    First Mate

    Posts : 641
    Age : 27
    Location : Carmarthen, South Wales

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Steff on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 am

    What's the debate even about?

    welsh is old who cares
    avatar
    Cap'n Lee
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 3051
    Age : 19
    Location : Leeds

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Cap'n Lee on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 am

    Reel Big Moose wrote:i know a fair few people whose idea of debate is just mocking the other person like that tbf

    yeah, well... you're a poopy pants
    avatar
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 1029

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Reel Big Moose on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:39 pm

    so's your face
    avatar
    Furious D
    You will take part.
    You will take part.

    Posts : 587
    Age : 32
    Location : Behind you

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Furious D on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:25 am

    Sick brrrrn
    avatar
    Reel Big Moose
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 1029

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Reel Big Moose on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:00 am

    good times.

    Sponsored content

    Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:37 pm